The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by boba
what does pruning tomatoes mean :s-smilie:

Is that some kind of sexual innuendo joke? I don't get it if so!

I used to work for a farm. I used to pull some of the stalks off of the baby tomato plants so that they didn't grow to have too many. Basically it helped to increase the crop yield.

Hope that clarifies!
Reply 41
Original post by Strüberry
No, I think she is talking about smaller ribcages and proportions. :smile: Look at Kesha; slim all over with a flat stomach but a completely nonexistent, thick waist. Likewise, I'm the same height and weight as my sister but, my waist is 2" smaller than hers.

OP, if you want a smaller waist, you'll just have to clean up your diet and hit the gym to lose weight all over. Spot reduction is a myth so ignore anyone who suggests crunches or bellydancing because that person is a skinny-fat idiot. Note: not just mindless cardio and celery sticks. Protein, high intensity cardio and strength training. Cut down (not cut out) on the simple carbs and alcohol. Ta-da! Guaranteed weight loss and a more proportionate frame. Worked for me. :smile:

kesha is quite fat (flat=/=low bodyfat, google 'skinny fat'), and as far as i was aware your ribcage is below your waist. yes having large bone structure can make a difference, but generally not a huge difference

at you and your sister, your body composition will be different, her bf% will be higher.
Original post by Popppppy
Which celebrities are you refering too?
Remember that it's hard to gauge height of celebs and a lot of them are actually quite short, thus will have smaller waists, along with small everything else.

Examples
Kim Kardashian 5'2
Scarlett Johansson 5'4

Those are EXACTLY the two celebrities I was thinking of when I created this thread actually! I didn't know Kim was only 5'2"!
Original post by sconter
do you realise that a womans size 14 in the 60s is now classed as a size 8? its called vanity sizing, womens sizes are getting larger to make you feel better even though people are getting fatter.

the people you talk about are thin because they care about their bodies and how they look.

if your health isnt as important as how much you love food, then that is your choice.

cant wait for people to tell me that its all genetic. inb4 are you aware there are people in this world with a severe medical condition that make them this way...

I understand what you're saying about vanity sizing because I know it's true but if a size 8 today fits a 26" waist then you're saying that a size 8 in the 60s would have fitted a 20" waist...I've never met a full grown woman with a waist that big and to me that doesn't seem healthy, so maybe clothes sizes today aren't as bad as you're making out? It would be pretty sad if all of a sudden girls were striving to have 20 inch waists if it meant being a size 8...
Reply 44
Original post by dancingshoes10
I understand what you're saying about vanity sizing because I know it's true but if a size 8 today fits a 26" waist then you're saying that a size 8 in the 60s would have fitted a 20" waist...I've never met a full grown woman with a waist that big and to me that doesn't seem healthy, so maybe clothes sizes today aren't as bad as you're making out? It would be pretty sad if all of a sudden girls were striving to have 20 inch waists if it meant being a size 8...

why would anyone be aiming for a 20 inch waist. this is the problem with womens sizes. u look at the meaningless number insted of the waist sizes.
Reply 45
Original post by sconter
do you realise that a womans size 14 in the 60s is now classed as a size 8? its called vanity sizing, womens sizes are getting larger to make you feel better even though people are getting fatter.

the people you talk about are thin because they care about their bodies and how they look.

if your health isnt as important as how much you love food, then that is your choice.

cant wait for people to tell me that its all genetic. inb4 are you aware there are people in this world with a severe medical condition that make them this way...

You're probably right about the dress sizes getting bigger, but OP was talking about waist sizes which are measured with a tape measure. Waist size isn't a subjective measurement, so it's hard to see how this is anything to do with people generally getting fatter...
Reply 46
Original post by meow444
Is that some kind of sexual innuendo joke? I don't get it if so!

I used to work for a farm. I used to pull some of the stalks off of the baby tomato plants so that they didn't grow to have too many. Basically it helped to increase the crop yield.

Hope that clarifies!

haha no it wan't I was genuinely confused as to what you were on about
Original post by meow444
I reckon doing certain exercises does help though, it's not all in the genes.

When I used to prune tomatoes my waist shrunk quite a lot. I think it was something to do with bending over repeatedly. My back got a lot stronger too and I got those dimple things above my bum
(this kind of thing just to clarify)

I think rock climbing helps too. I don't do it any more and my waist noticeably wider, and I haven't really put much weight on anywhere else.

They're called dimples of Venus and are...unbelievably hot. Props
Original post by sconter
kesha is quite fat (flat=/=low bodyfat, google 'skinny fat'), and as far as i was aware your ribcage is below your waist. yes having large bone structure can make a difference, but generally not a huge difference

at you and your sister, your body composition will be different, her bf% will be higher.

Oh, yeah. Still, 1.5" extra inches makes a considerable impact when it comes to WHR and first glances. 27-36 gives you a feminine ratio of 0.75 but 28.5-36 gives you a ratio of 0.79 when >0.8 is usually considered masculine.

Either way, people need stop complaining about unattainable ideals and focus on making the best out of what they have.
Reply 49
Original post by SaySaam
You're probably right about the dress sizes getting bigger, but OP was talking about waist sizes which are measured with a tape measure. Waist size isn't a subjective measurement, so it's hard to see how this is anything to do with people generally getting fatter...

its to do with the psychology tho. you think. hmm im a size 12 thts pretty good, but in reality its an old 18.
you think there must be something genetically different about you because u have a relatively low dress size, but still dont have a great waist because u look at the dress size not your actual waist

i've responded to the op more in other replies.
Reply 50
I have a 25 inch waist, but that's completely normal for me, it's not like I had to do anything. People should just work with what they've got!
Reply 51
Original post by Strüberry
Oh, yeah. Still, 1.5" extra inches makes a considerable impact when it comes to WHR and first glances. 27-36 gives you a feminine ratio of 0.75 but 28.5-36 gives you a ratio of 0.79 when >0.8 is usually considered masculine.

Either way, people need stop complaining about unattainable ideals and focus on making the best out of what they have.

things like bone structure changes are unattainable, but dont underestimate what you can do :wink:

i agree though, look at how u can improve urself ignore others.
Reply 52
Original post by sconter
its to do with the psychology tho. you think. hmm im a size 12 thts pretty good, but in reality its an old 18.
you think there must be something genetically different about you because u have a relatively low dress size, but still dont have a great waist because u look at the dress size not your actual waist

i've responded to the op more in other replies.

Oops, m'bad. I carried on reading after I made that comment, as otherwise I'd have forgotten what I wanted to say :/

I try not to listen to dress sizes anymore, as I can be one size in one shop, and then something completely different in another. Using the measurements as a way to track weight just seems so much less hassle...
Reply 53
Original post by SaySaam
Oops, m'bad. I carried on reading after I made that comment, as otherwise I'd have forgotten what I wanted to say :/

I try not to listen to dress sizes anymore, as I can be one size in one shop, and then something completely different in another. Using the measurements as a way to track weight just seems so much less hassle...

yea i tend to do that, i always respond to something on the first page then realise the thread is on like 30 pages by now ha.

yea it is a better method as it is constant.
Original post by EffieFlowers
You must be pretty inexperienced with skinny hot chicks then. :wink:

I dont like bones showing on my women and slim isn't skinny FYI.
Reply 55
Dont go too skinny though. Thats a mistake most girls do. They look at models on telly/magazines, then go on some stupid, unhealthy, -1000 calorie diet and go stick thin which is a total turn off imo. Looks like they are about to snap!

Size 10-16 is fine imo
Reply 56
Lol @ this thread.

Genetics, photoshop, airbrushing and personal coaching. Any more excuses?

Get a good diet together and follow a good workout regime (ideally weight training rather than cardio) and stay consistent.
its nothing unusual tbh :dontknow:
Reply 58
Bone structure..
Original post by MancBoy
Dont go too skinny though. Thats a mistake most girls do. They look at models on telly/magazines, then go on some stupid, unhealthy, -1000 calorie diet and go stick thin which is a total turn off imo. Looks like they are about to snap!

Size 10-16 is fine imo

What are you on about? You obviously know nothing about dress sizes, size 8 is perfectly healthy and a size 16 is not. My sister used to be a size 16 and she was largely overweight according to her BMI and she didn't look nice at all. Of course she's a size 10 now and looks so much better.

Size 8 is slim not skinny... You perfectly illustrate how much of an issue obesity is in our country. A few decades ago a size 8 would be normal, quite common but today its seen as this unrealistic goal to aim towards.
I can't stand living in a nation with ridiculously high obesity rates when there's so many people dying of starvation and malnutrition across the globe. It's sick. This country needs to sort itself out. If you look at the people when you walk down the street, nearly every other young person is over weight. If you look ay the older generation there's a lot less overweight people. It's wrong and we shouldn't be embracing it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest