The Student Room Group

I did the most retarded thing.

I had my first written exam yesterday and I did one of the most retarded things I've ever done. I didn't attend the revision lecture because I thought I could just go through the past paper by myself. I tend to ignore introduction sections on exam papers and dive straight into the exam questions. I didn't realise I was mean't to pick just ONE essay question. I answered EVERY essay question. I assumed the total marks were out of 100 so I thought 1 hour to write various essays was very harsh. I honestly thought the exam was mean't to be very difficult. I was writing like a mad man in the exam while most finished 10mins before the exam. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I'd rushed every question so the essays weren't done to my best of my ability; I was rushing and panicking. All in all however each essay was decent. I feel I've wasted a lot of my energy, I studied really hard for nothing. Apparently my lecturer, during the revision session, answered the exact same question that appeared in the actual exam paper - Eurgh!

People after the exam were talking about how easy the exam was, I remained completely silent...

What do you think will happen? What should I do?

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by T-Toe
I had my first written exam yesterday and I did one of the most retarded things I've ever done. I didn't attend the revision lecture because I thought I could just go through the past paper by myself. I tend to ignore introduction sections on exam papers and dive straight into the exam questions. I didn't realise I was mean't to pick just ONE essay question. I answered EVERY essay question. I assumed the total marks were out of 100 so I thought 1 hour to write various essays was very harsh. I honestly thought the exam was mean't to be very difficult. I was writing like a mad man in the exam while most finished 10mins before the exam. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I'd rushed every question so the essays weren't done to my best of my ability; I was rushing and panicking. All in all however each essay was decent. I feel I've wasted a lot of my energy, I studied really hard for nothing. Apparently my lecturer, during the revision session, answered the exact same question that appeared in the actual exam paper - Eurgh!

People after the exam were talking about how easy the exam was, I remained completely silent...

Thanks.

You'll receive your mark and grade in the near future, hopefully you've not done too badly.
Next time attend revision sections, if not at least read the instructions on the question booklet.
Definitely read the instructions next time!
Original post by T-Toe

Thanks.

Not to mention the complete misuse of a word to describe something you did by mistake then?
Reply 4
Original post by AliceStrawbs
Definitely read the instructions next time!

Yes, I won't be making that same mistake again.
Reply 5
Original post by thunder_chunky
Not to mention the complete misuse of a word to describe something you did by mistake then?

I tend to be very hard on myself.

My mum said being able to read exam questions properly is probably the most important exam skill. If I cannot achieve a basic task, the examiners might not take me seriously.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
To be fair, it was a pretty retarded mistake.

But hopefully it should turn out ok :smile:
Original post by T-Toe
I tend to be very hard on myself.

My mum said being about to read exam questions is properly the most important exam skill. If I cannot achieve a basic task, the examiners might not take me seriously.

Not what I meant, but nevermind
Original post by T-Toe

Thanks.

What will probably happen is that your first essay will be marked and all of the others will be ignored.

What should happen is that you will have your paper graded as a zero and not receive anything for it.
Reply 9
Not attending revision sessions is a pretty silly move. The university sets the exam paper. Your tutors want you to do well. You won't be covering irrelevant stuff in the revision sessions.
Reply 10
Original post by mackemforever
What will probably happen is that your first essay will be marked and all of the others will be ignored.

What should happen is that you will have your paper graded as a zero and not receive anything for it.

There was one question I answered relatively well so should I go to the undergrad office and ask them if they could mark that question?

Call me an optimist but do you think they'll mark every essay question and pick the one with the highest mark?
(edited 11 years ago)
Nothing you can do, perhaps pray. But we all know that won't do anything.

EDIT: enjoying the atheism vs religion battle going on here ---->
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
If they are nice, they may read all your essays, mark them all and give you the highest mark.
Reply 13
Original post by JohnC2211
Not attending revision sessions is a pretty silly move. The university sets the exam paper. Your tutors want you to do well. You won't be covering irrelevant stuff in the revision sessions.

Not attending the revision session wasn't the issue. The fact that I didn't read the instructions was the issue.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Alt__x
If they are nice, they may read all your essays, mark them all and give you the highest mark.

Hopefully.

Answering all the questions is better than writing nothing at all I guess.
Reply 15
Original post by T-Toe
There was one question I answered relatively well so should I go to the undergrad office and ask them if they could mark that question?

Call me on optimist but do you think they'll mark every essay question and pick the one with the highest mark?

Of course not. Examiners have a lot of papers to mark, why would they waste so much of their time making special arrangements for you just because you couldn't be bothered to read the exam instructions or go to the revision session?
Original post by mackemforever

Is that really a constructive thing to say?
Reply 17
Original post by andyyy
Of course not. Examiners have a lot of papers to mark, why would they waste so much of their time making special arrangements for you just because you couldn't be bothered to read the exam instructions or go to the revision session?

Just a thought :erm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Why don't you talk to your lecturer?
That way you may have a better understanding of what might happen. Just say you panicked or something but then at least if you ask you might have a better idea. Your most certainly not the first person to do that, my lecturer for one of my modules told us not to do that in revision lecture we had coz he said there is always someone who does it.
It might put your mind at ease too if you go talk about it
Reply 19
It's usual procedure to mark the first only.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending