The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 answers May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The only challenging question for me was question 7. I got a surd, and then thought to square it out because y = x^1/2.

I can't remember my answer being 16-+6root7.. ****.
Reply 61
Hi Mr M
The only mistakes I see that I made was
9 i) i put -7<x<4

I mark dropped i guess?

10)iii) I left the length of the line as root 20 and didn't simplify but stated it was inside the circle. Will i drop a mark for not simplifying the surd.

also 9 ii) I left the answers in fractions in their simplest form, will i be penalized?

5)iii) is drawing the root sign only on the numerator but then not on the 5 going to drop a mark?

Thanks in advance
Reply 62
Original post by samjj8
Do I loose anything for question 9ii) for leaving my answers as top heavy fractions? 14/10 instead of 1.4...

my guess is drop a mark as you haven't put the fraction in its simplest form
Reply 63
Original post by mortaz786
my guess is drop a mark as you haven't put the fraction in its simplest form

Yeah probably 1 mark, I had them as 7/5 < x < 24/5
something like that
wat do u think the grade boundaries will b
Reply 65
grade boundaries?????
Reply 66
Original post by amazon123456789
wat do u think the grade boundaries will b

Probably quite high, I'd say higher than the January ones for sure.
Reply 67
will i drop a mark for saying the discriminant is less than 0 for the last question but not stating what the discriminant is?

i did do some working out, but i left it in the form (number - larger number) under the sqrt sign in the quadratic equation

i also didn't consider x not being negative which brings me down 2 marks in total ):
Reply 68
For 10iv) How many marks do you think i would get for putting the y=2x into the circle equation etc etc and then solving but i obviously made a mistake somewhere and so my formula equation gave a positive real value so i put it did cross it. How many marks would i lose?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by KS8
Probably quite high, I'd say higher than the January ones for sure.

What were the January grade boundaries? Only need the number for an A and A*, if you can remember them, thanks :smile:
Mr M, I wish I could buy you a drink!!
Original post by Georgina :)
What were the January grade boundaries? Only need the number for an A and A*, if you can remember them, thanks :smile:

I think for January it was 57/72 for an A so I'm guessing this one will be about 59/60ish..
Reply 72
In January i was 57/72 for an A and 50/72 for a B.

Do you think i will only drop 2 marks for using (10y + 3) and getting the range as 1.7<x<5.1, like many others have done?
Reply 73
Original post by benex381

Do you think i will only drop 2 marks for using (10y + 3) and getting the range as 1.7<x<5.1, like many others have done?

why would you lose marks for that? is that incorrect?

edit: sorry, just realised it doesn't fit the mark scheme. what did you do incorrectly to get 5.1 instead of 4.8?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
i think i got 55≥x≥61 marks

I got the exact same as you, and got 10y+3 but apparently it's wrong! (I don't remember seeing another 3 anywhere???)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by kenann
why would you lose marks for that? is that incorrect?

edit: sorry, just realised it doesn't fit the mark scheme. what did you do incorrectly to get 5.1 instead of 4.8?

it was 10x + 6, i used 10x + 3 silly mistake i know i just hope i get some method marks, out of 6 i was hoping for at least 2 or 3
For question 10 (iii) did you have to give the answer in simplified surd form, or was stating that 'Root(20)<Root(25) therefore P is in circle' be sufficient?
Reply 78
Original post by KS8
Yeah probably 1 mark, I had them as 7/5 < x < 24/5
something like that

Oh, for putting them in simplest fractions you wont loose a mark.
Reply 79
it was 10x + 6, i used 10x + 3 silly mistake i know i just hope i get some method marks, out of 6 i was hoping for at least 2 or 3

well, that's what exams do to us right?

Original post by tahseen1995
For question 10 (iii) did you have to give the answer in simplified surd form, or was stating that 'Root(20)<Root(25) therefore P is in circle' be sufficient?

i did both, but i'm almost certain either will suffice because it is easier to recognise sqrt20 < sqrt25 than 2sqrt5 < sqrt25 or 5, which is why i simplified the surds then in brackets explained the alternate, both in sqrt(k) form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending