The Student Room Group

Leeds 2013 Medical School Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Richyp22

whats an MMI format?

This is too anybody who would know,

Also does leeds specify anything on a fourth as-level grade?

Lastly do you think theres any benefit sending in my ucas application early has any benefits, Because I know at birmingham they started doing interviews before the ucas deadline? Which makes me a bit worried as I doubt ill have everything ready before october.

MMI is multiple mini interviews

Typically there are 8-10 stations and each station is like a mini interview where you are posed with a question or challenge and evaluated on it.
Original post by .eXe
MMI is multiple mini interviews

Typically there are 8-10 stations and each station is like a mini interview where you are posed with a question or challenge and evaluated on it.

uuhhhhhhh that sounds scary, dunno if you know but would any of these be medical/science based stations. Or still the usual ethics based and why stuff.

Either way Ill find out next week at the open day

whats an MMI format?

This is too anybody who would know,

Also does leeds specify anything on a fourth as-level grade?

Lastly do you think theres any benefit sending in my ucas application early has any benefits, Because I know at birmingham they started doing interviews before the ucas deadline? Which makes me a bit worried as I doubt ill have everything ready before october.

MMI is a pretty well recognised way of interviewing. Sending your application in earlier will not benefit you in any way.

I applied as a science graduate so AS and A-Level results were not taken into consideration for me. Maybe one of the other medics would be best suited to answer.
Ive heard about the leeds cock up, But honestly i couldnt care less. Amazing med course/ Amzing social capacity.

Im just going to put so much work into my personal statement to try and make this happen. Buzzing.

Make sure you have other safer choices (if there is such a thing), because last year was horrific.
Just discovered somthing very intresting, The leeds policy on acedmics for selection has changed slightly.

If You declare your As results and you can have them graded out of 16, Your gcses will also be graded out of 16. Both of them along with predicted grades will give you a score out of 16.

But what it says is only your best score is taken forward to decide wether you get an interview.

So if I understand it correctly, If you meet gcse requirments and get AAA at as-level you can get 14/16 for acedmics.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/qualifications.html#GCSE Thats the link to what ive looked into
Just discovered somthing very intresting, The leeds policy on acedmics for selection has changed slightly.

If You declare your As results and you can have them graded out of 16, Your gcses will also be graded out of 16. Both of them along with predicted grades will give you a score out of 16.

But what it says is only your best score is taken forward to decide wether you get an interview.

So if I understand it correctly, If you meet gcse requirments and get AAA at as-level you can get 14/16 for acedmics.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/qualifications.html#GCSE Thats the link to what ive looked into

Meeting the GCSE requirements might not automatically result along with AAA at AS as 14/16, many applicant exceed the minimum requirements.
Original post by Leedsmedic2012
Meeting the GCSE requirements might not automatically result along with AAA at AS as 14/16, many applicant exceed the minimum requirements.

Yes I know that from previous results, But on the link it says your As-results or gcse grade not both can be used to give your acedmic score. And your best one goes forward.
Reply 47
Original post by Leedsmedic2012
MMI is a pretty well recognised way of interviewing. Sending your application in earlier will not benefit you in any way.

I applied as a science graduate so AS and A-Level results were not taken into consideration for me. Maybe one of the other medics would be best suited to answer.

Hi I just wanted to ask you do leeds take into GCSE grades for science graduates or is that something which is also not taken into account like A Levels? Btw what is ur degree classification? And what did you get in English language GCSE?
Thx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by yum-yum
Hi there :smile:

I've received an offer from Leeds for medicine this year so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Although it sounds like there's loads of competition, all i can say is if I managed to get in im sure many of you guys can :P

I'm sure anyone applying to Leeds will find there links useful :smile:

Academic Requirements: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/academic.html

Personal Qualities: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/personal.html

Advice on writing the Personal Statement for Leeds: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/docs/ps.pdf

Are the documents no longer available?
Reply 49
Original post by bloomingblossoms
Are the documents no longer available?

Sorry I think they must've changed/moved the top two since i posted them :smile:
Hey guys, the following video is made by the Medical Students' Representative Council (MSRC) who have entered the RBS ESSA competition. They are now one of 9 finalists in the competition to win £5000, and you can help by viewing and sharing the video below. As well as helping the Leeds MSRC, you can also catch a glimpse of life at Leeds medical school!

[video="youtube;RshqqeWG3HQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RshqqeWG3HQ&feature=colike[/video]

Spoiler

Reply 51
I'm going to the Leeds open day tomorrow and expected Leeds to be one of my choices (with B'ham, Bristol and possibly Oxford) but yesterday my school advised me not to apply Leeds! I'm at an Independent school that offers a huge range of EC's and I am very involved, but I was told Leeds like to see non-school EC's, especially community work. My non-school EC's are all sport, although at quite a high level (County). Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?
Original post by HCubed
I'm going to the Leeds open day tomorrow and expected Leeds to be one of my choices (with B'ham, Bristol and possibly Oxford) but yesterday my school advised me not to apply Leeds! I'm at an Independent school that offers a huge range of EC's and I am very involved, but I was told Leeds like to see non-school EC's, especially community work. My non-school EC's are all sport, although at quite a high level (County). Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

Ermm I dont see a problem with that, youll be at no disadvantage :wink:
And also roll on leeds 2013 application, went to the open day today and it was amazing!!!! ekk so excited definatly my number 1 school.
Don't do this. Don't apply to Leeds. You'll basically be going into UCAS with only 3 choices.
Original post by Straight up G
Don't do this. Don't apply to Leeds. You'll basically be going into UCAS with only 3 choices.

Advice rejected :wink: lemme geuss you got rejected from leeds 8 months after you sent your ucas form in?

Someone has to get in... :P (well, >200 people have to get in!). Ask me in a year, and I'll tell you whether this was good advice or not!

So, I hear admissions is changing. More emphasis on UKCAT (apparently 650+ should be good enough), best academics out of GCSEs or AS (does that mean 4As means top marks? Admissions lady says that they don't look at module results!).
I was so impressed with the USB! I think that sold Leeds to me :biggrin:
And the food.

Advice rejected :wink: lemme geuss you got rejected from leeds 8 months after you sent your ucas form in?

Oh, I didn't really care about the time frame, not gonna give you any cliches about waiting because you'll have heard them all, but the point is that the type of people that I know that have got into Leeds have been;

-Semi pro footballers
-school rugby, cricket and house captains
-national level hockey player
-some guy in some next level orchestra

Original post by Holz888
Someone has to get in... :P (well, >200 people have to get in!). Ask me in a year, and I'll tell you whether this was good advice or not!

See above. Not to put you off or anything :colondollar: I know a guy that was applying to, and then got into Cambridge, and when I told him I was applying to Leeds, he just laughed at me and was like '19 to 1 ratio of getting in? Come on, it's a good medical school and a great city but there's no way I could get in there'.
Oh, I didn't really care about the time frame, not gonna give you any cliches about waiting because you'll have heard them all, but the point is that the type of people that I know that have got into Leeds have been;

-Semi pro footballers
-school rugby, cricket and house captains
-national level hockey player
-some guy in some next level orchestra

Omg the irony, Well i played Acedmy level football for 5 years for Nottingham forest football club(captain for 2 of them)

And i also play americian football for great briton under 18's

So thanks for boosting my confidence in getting into leeds :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Holz888

So, I hear admissions is changing. More emphasis on UKCAT (apparently 650+ should be good enough), best academics out of GCSEs or AS (does that mean 4As means top marks? Admissions lady says that they don't look at module results!).
I was so impressed with the USB! I think that sold Leeds to me :biggrin:
And the food.

They only mark your top three A's and they gave me the impression that if you meet the requirments your through to the next stage(No threshold of anything like that) Which is abit useless cause 99% will meet the requirments

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending