The Student Room Group

(Girls) How do you wear your school tie?

I normally wear my school tie very short and with a loose and large knot, with the top 2 buttons undone and low slung. Sometimes when I wear my school jumper the tie isn't visible above the number. I see nothing wrong with this as its more comfortable and imo school uniform doesnt matter, its doesnt stop you learning.
However, my school is now having a major crackdown on school uniform and I have been given an after school detention for my low tie, even though all the girls wear it like this! Loads of us are now getting these detentions and it doesnt seem fair.
So just wondering, is my way of wearing my tie (short, loose, low and top 2 buttons undone) normal, or do most girls wear it neatly and done up?
Reply 1
My school have become really strict now, (I'm a boy) but i always wear my tie up as I like to present myself smartly, but I don't get what the problem is either.
Reply 2
I've just left yr 11, no more ties! :biggrin:
The way of wearing it in the way you described was what everyone did in yr 7/8 but they had a massive crackdown, so I still had two buttons undone but the tie was longer (about 3/4 inches from my trousers waist) with a moderately large knot :P
Reply 3
Around my forehead.
Reply 4
Never wore a tie when I was in main school...and non-uniform now in Sixth Form.
Reply 5
All the girls at my school used to wear them that way apart from me, I could never seem to get my tie to be that short :tongue: To stop this, my school made everyone wear clip on ties! I was very pleased I was already in sixth form by this point and didn't have to wear uniform ever again
Reply 6
It's a tie...surely it doesn't matter that much.

Either way, as I'm a nerd, my tie was done up and reasonably long...

Most people at school had it short and fat though, like you described.
Girls aren't allowed to wear ties in my school anymore, only the boys now.
Reply 8
Original post by 03hope03
All the girls at my school used to wear them that way apart from me, I could never seem to get my tie to be that short :tongue: To stop this, my school made everyone wear clip on ties! I was very pleased I was already in sixth form by this point and didn't have to wear uniform ever again

I'm really hoping my school dont resort to this. Would be horrible!
Yep i used to wear it like that in yr8 but then my school introduced clip on ties and made it impossible to buy normal ties! Thankfully for my brother who just started there the other year, i had a spare normal tie, so he didnt have to suffer too much! Honestly though, its sounding as if they may be coming your way...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I wore mine fairly loose and just visible beneath a v-neck so I wouldn't get the "Where is your tie?" lecture.

My secondary school tried to crack down on uniform when I was in my last year (2008-2009). Since my year group left it's actually sunk in and everyone obeys. :lol: They all wear their ties properly, proper shirt, smart trousers/knee-length skirts and blazers (I live right next to the local secondary school, so I've been seeing them everyday since study leave began mid-May). When we were there it was blouses, black jeans, mini skirts/shorts and a random coloured hoodie or cardigan (stripes were popular for the boys).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by hdoyle
I'm really hoping my school dont resort to this. Would be horrible!

Apparantly it's really bad. As well as hating the fact they have perfectly tied ties, it also means top buttons have to be done up :tongue:
Reply 12
i wore my tie long, with a small knot but loose with the collar button undone.
I had a medium length tie but it was always down at boob level rather than around my neck. I'd say your way of wearing it was pretty normal.
Might be normal but it doesn't really give a very good impression of you does it?
I remember in my day (ah so old!) the cool girls all did theirs in a massive fat knot, with the wide part really short and the long skinny part tucked into their shirt...I always had my top shirt button undone though, just comfy that way!
Reply 16
Original post by hdoyle
I normally wear my school tie very short and with a loose and large knot, with the top 2 buttons undone and low slung. Sometimes when I wear my school jumper the tie isn't visible above the number.

Hi, I start Y7 in a few weeks and most ppl in my school seem to wear the tie like this - v. loose with the top 2 buttons undone and shirts untucked! Do you wear ur shirt out?
my uniform is light blue shirt, tie, blazer etc. For my first day I want to wear it like this!
So how do i get the tie to be big and loose??
And how do you persuade ur parents this is the best way to wear it??
Reply 17
Ties on girls are the dumbest thing in the whole world.

On boys, there is a fair chance that if they don't wear a suit for work in later life, they will almost certainly have to go a wedding or funeral at some point. Girls - never. Unless they become security guards or work in a Marlene Dietrich tribute act; they are never going to wear a tie ever again - so what's the point?

Outside of school uniform shops, you'd be hard pressed to find a girls' or womens' blouse that even buttons to the top.
I haven't had to wear a tie since primary school, but what I did for the comfort the was I had the top button undone but the tie still tied properly, so it made it look like the top button was done up, ut the whole arrangement was just slightly looser than it would be otherwise. I loved wearing a tie.
Original post by brightbulb
I've just left yr 11, no more ties! :biggrin:
The way of wearing it in the way you described was what everyone did in yr 7/8 but they had a massive crackdown, so I still had two buttons undone but the tie was longer (about 3/4 inches from my trousers waist) with a moderately large knot :P

In my school, the rest of the school had to wear a nice comfy jumper and black trousers, that was the extent of the uniform.
In sixthform, you had to wear a proper shirt, a cardigan over it and a tie.

My school liked to do things in opposites :tongue:
Luckily I left before the changes came in, so I was the last year of sixthform to wear whatever the hell we wanted!

Op, undo the top button so your tie isn't right next to your neck and do it up as high as possible without it being tight.
Thats how I wear mine for work, it looks smart and its like the tie isn't even there!
Personally I think ties on girls looks stupid, but then again I've never understood why people feel the need to fight against school uniform.

It might be normal but it looks ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending