The Student Room Group

I did the most retarded thing.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T-Toe
I could get my second paper marked if I've had extenuating circumstances. I'm not sure if I should just make something up out of desperation?

Any ideas?

Erm.... but you don't have extenuating circumstances :confused:. Take responsibility for your mistake, you are an adult.

'Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.'
- C. S. Lewis
You can't change it now, OP. unless you have secret agent gadgets sitting in your bedroom...
Nothing you can do, just hope for the best. You must always read the question paper before you start and go to the lectures where the format is explained. Some people on my course did the same thing they didn't go to the exam lecture so didn't know what to expect, there were 4 15 mark questions half way through the paper and they thought you only had to answer one but we had to do all of them. I saw people leaving after 30 minutes (exam was 2 hours long) I was like lol how the hell did they finish so fast then they found out what they did wrong and broke down in tears.
Reply 143
Guys I did really well in all my other exams so lets hope this exam wasn't too detrimental :smile:

I'll post the result I got for the exam just for the lolz.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by T-Toe
Guys I did really well in all my other exams so lets hope this exam wasn't too detrimental :smile:

I'll post the result I got for the exam just for the lolz.

Great to hear hun :smile:
Original post by T-Toe
I had my first written exam yesterday and I did one of the most retarded things I've ever done. I didn't attend the revision lecture because I thought I could just go through the past paper by myself. I tend to ignore introduction sections on exam papers and dive straight into the exam questions. I didn't realise I was mean't to pick just ONE essay question. I answered EVERY essay question. I assumed the total marks were out of 100 so I thought 1 hour to write various essays was very harsh. I honestly thought the exam was mean't to be very difficult. I was writing like a mad man in the exam while most finished 10mins before the exam. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I'd rushed every question so the essays weren't done to my best of my ability; I was rushing and panicking. All in all however each essay was decent. I feel I've wasted a lot of my energy, I studied really hard for nothing. Apparently my lecturer, during the revision session, answered the exact same question that appeared in the actual exam paper - Eurgh!

People after the exam were talking about how easy the exam was, I remained completely silent...

What do you think will happen? What should I do?

Thanks.

I did the exact same thing once. Didn't read the instructions, one hour for 'three' essays (baring in mind that two of the questions were something I wasn't taught). Realised at the end that we had to answer one question, picked the one that I'd spent the most time on to put as the answered question.

After the exam, I just laughed about it and when my results came through (I got 12/80 marks for the essay that I hadn't learnt about) my teacher asked me why my mark was so poor so I just told her what had happened. I resat the exam obviously.

It's nothing to worry about unless you hate resits. It taught me to read instructions anyway!! :u:
I used to be a university examiner.

If a student answered more than one question, where they should have answered just one, our instructions were to mark all of the answers and give them the best mark.
Reply 147
Our school had a talent for doing this. Every year (no matter how many times it was explained) I think at least a quarter of the room wrote a short essay on everything in the paper. I even know of one person who found they had to write about a TV programme they had seen and comment on various techniques that were used. Out of desperation he wrote a short essay about the episode of Eastenders he'd watched the previous night.

I hope it all went okay for you OP and that this mistake isn't going to affect your results too badly.
Reply 148
How is this thread 8 pages long? O_o
Reply 149
You ever been given the 3 minute test to do in a class?

http://www.cfcl.com/vlb/Cuute/f/quiz.txt

Funny, plus DEFINITELY makes you remember.
Reply 150
Original post by TobyIV
You ever been given the 3 minute test to do in a class?

http://www.cfcl.com/vlb/Cuute/f/quiz.txt

Funny, plus DEFINITELY makes you remember.

My brother's teacher when he was 11 gave this to her class on April Fool's with some added questions like writing the colour of their underwear on the paper. He said people were shouting out things and peering down their trousers to remember what colour their pants were. Apparently when they finished they were all mad they'd been so easily fooled. Made me wish I'd got to do it! :biggrin:
I did something similar today, I answered only 2 questions instead of 3 -.- as the one last semester was like that I didnt realise until 5 minutes before it was done and quickly wrote a note saying I got confused. I did write quite long detailed answers, hopefully it will help me passing >.<
Reply 152
Guys, I got 71.7% in this paper, errr...not sure how :s-smilie:

I'm not going to ask any questions...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by T-Toe
You can but I just found out it's £40 per module so I'll pass.

Better start working hard then.

Holy Crap! £40 per module!! So glad I passed all my exams! (68 average! Whooo!" but seriously, with the way I plow through my student loan, I'd never be able to afford that!
Original post by T-Toe
I had my first written exam yesterday and I did one of the most retarded things I've ever done. I didn't attend the revision lecture because I thought I could just go through the past paper by myself. I tend to ignore introduction sections on exam papers and dive straight into the exam questions. I didn't realise I was mean't to pick just ONE essay question. I answered EVERY essay question. I assumed the total marks were out of 100 so I thought 1 hour to write various essays was very harsh. I honestly thought the exam was mean't to be very difficult. I was writing like a mad man in the exam while most finished 10mins before the exam. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I'd rushed every question so the essays weren't done to my best of my ability; I was rushing and panicking. All in all however each essay was decent. I feel I've wasted a lot of my energy, I studied really hard for nothing. Apparently my lecturer, during the revision session, answered the exact same question that appeared in the actual exam paper - Eurgh!

People after the exam were talking about how easy the exam was, I remained completely silent...

What do you think will happen? What should I do?

Thanks.

:eek:Aw, that sucks! Hopefully they'll mark the first essay, but I can't see them giving credit for any of the others. Don't beat yourself up about it, you made a mistake, we all do sometimes. I hope everything works out for you :yy:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 155
Original post by SalinaHussain
:eek:Aw, that sucks! Hopefully they'll mark the first essay, but I can't see them giving credit for any of the others. Don't beat yourself up about it, you made a mistake, we all do sometimes. I hope everything works out for you :yy:

Original post by Copycats&Acrobats
Holy Crap! £40 per module!! So glad I passed all my exams! (68 average! Whooo!" but seriously, with the way I plow through my student loan, I'd never be able to afford that!

I'm not sure if you saw my most recent posts but I got a first in it. I don't know how or why but I'm happy :smile:

75 average :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 156
focus
Original post by T-Toe
I'm not sure if you saw my most recent posts but I got a first in it. I don't know how or why but I'm happy :smile:

That's awesome well done!
Original post by T-Toe

:top:Aw! Really happy for you, well done!

Reply 159
Original post by T-Toe

Just another student who pretends they are going to get a poor mark as a pathetic cry for attention, when the reality of the situation is that they are perfectly fine at what they do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending