The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You really deserve much better than all that. Please try and believe me when I say that :jumphug:

I hold myself to very high standards too, hence why I want to finish with everyone else. Just think of it this way: I wouldn't expect/want you to go without an extension and you (I imagine?) wouldn't expect/want me to go without an extension :p:

It can be so unnerving though. Fingers still crossed. Hopefully the saying that "no news is good news" applies here :console:

Thank you :hugs:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Absolutely feeling **** at the moment. Feel ridiculously low. I feel hurt, so much hurt.
I have to resit an exam in August cos results were out. I feel so **** about it.
Reply 6182
Sorry I forgot to reply to your earlier post :o: I slept for ages last night. Was just being lazy by having a snooze. I have no motivation for doing anything that isn't sleeping or eating atm :no:

Lots of :hugs: for you then :jumphug:

Original post by bullettheory
Ive done that a few times! Haha. Once I woke up 2 villages away, like 6 miles away from my house :tongue:

Oh dear :tongue:
Good bit of news: I have a new care coordinator and so far, he is pretty good! You can get hold of him easily, he sorts things out quickly, he's efficient, he doesn't ask annoying questions and he has said when I move back to Bristol he will come and see me within a week, in my flat, so I don't even have to go to the CMHT! Awesome!

Bad news: I feel really really crap. Really edgy and anxious. Don't know how to cope with everything in my head, I just want it to stop :frown: I think the shadows have left me alone and then they just come right back and piss me off.

I'm (finally) seeing the consultant tomorrow (11 days into my section and I finally see a consultant, I think that's ****ed up...). Literally nothing has changed yet, they haven't even been assessing me properly. My parents are pissed off that I'm not showing any signs of improvement, and there's still no plan. I know at this rate, if they let me go at the end of the 28 days then I WILL end up doing something that, if for whatever reason, fails, I will end up back in hospital. My parents know this without me having to tell them. So they want to move me to the Priory (£4.8k a week :/) which I won't complain about as I've seen the brochure and its like a bloody 5 star hotel. But I don't see the point because I don't know if I even need help, I don't know. I just want to go home.

But in some other good news. Me and my girlfriend have now been going out for a month, which isn't long at all, but I think we are both just really happy with it. A lot of people told us that it wouldn't work but it's going so well (even though I've spent most of it in hospital), but we are just so close. And she's coming to visit me on Saturday, which I'm so excited about!!!

Sorry I haven't been replying to a lot of people, but sending hugs your way. Hope everyone is doing ok!

Reply 6184
Good bit of news: I have a new care coordinator and so far, he is pretty good! You can get hold of him easily, he sorts things out quickly, he's efficient, he doesn't ask annoying questions and he has said when I move back to Bristol he will come and see me within a week, in my flat, so I don't even have to go to the CMHT! Awesome!

Bad news: I feel really really crap. Really edgy and anxious. Don't know how to cope with everything in my head, I just want it to stop :frown: I think the shadows have left me alone and then they just come right back and piss me off.

I'm (finally) seeing the consultant tomorrow (11 days into my section and I finally see a consultant, I think that's ****ed up...). Literally nothing has changed yet, they haven't even been assessing me properly. My parents are pissed off that I'm not showing any signs of improvement, and there's still no plan. I know at this rate, if they let me go at the end of the 28 days then I WILL end up doing something that, if for whatever reason, fails, I will end up back in hospital. My parents know this without me having to tell them. So they want to move me to the Priory (£4.8k a week :/) which I won't complain about as I've seen the brochure and its like a bloody 5 star hotel. But I don't see the point because I don't know if I even need help, I don't know. I just want to go home.

But in some other good news. Me and my girlfriend have now been going out for a month, which isn't long at all, but I think we are both just really happy with it. A lot of people told us that it wouldn't work but it's going so well (even though I've spent most of it in hospital), but we are just so close. And she's coming to visit me on Saturday, which I'm so excited about!!!

Sorry I haven't been replying to a lot of people, but sending hugs your way. Hope everyone is doing ok!

Very good to hear that :smile: :yy:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S
Reply 6185
As things stand I won't be fasting tomorrow morning. My dad has asked me a few times but I'm scared to tell him the truth.

Reply 6186
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Absolutely feeling **** at the moment. Feel ridiculously low. I feel hurt, so much hurt.
I have to resit an exam in August cos results were out. I feel so **** about it.

Oh dear I'm sorry to hear that. I get my results for Maths in August and if I fail I will have to re-take in May. I probs will and I have failed most of my life. I am here for you if you ever need to chat! It's not about journey, it's about the destination!
My mum's such an idiot.

I was sat in my room typing up some emotional stuff (cos that tends to help) and she just swanned in and saw my crying - I told her basically everything, that I feel down all the time and that's why me and my girlfriend have had this argument. She's now decided that I'm not going out to see her tonight and I'm not even allowed to sit in my room. I get that I should be around people as much as possible but am I not allowed thirty minutes to myself to write up some private things???

Now I'm bored, lonely and my girlfriend's annoyed AGAIN.

Oh. She's also decided that a hot bath will make everything better. I wish it was that simple :sad:

I wouldn't go to the Priory if I were you. Aside from the extortionate cost, their care for their patients seems rather lax. I live near it and hear horror stories about it. It seems that even as an in patient, you can go in and out as you please without being supervised, which means

Spoiler

That was a few years ago when there was some big newspaper expose though. Things may have changed by now. One would hope it would have! :eek:

Sorry the shadows keep bugging you. That must be quite unnerving :jumphug:

Original post by avhhs
As things stand I won't be fasting tomorrow morning. My dad has asked me a few times but I'm scared to tell him the truth.

What do you think will happen if you say you won't do it? :console:
Oh ok. I think it means that they will discuss in a team to decide what is the best way forward, and what help they can offer. Hopefully you should hear soon!

Yeah I guess it is a bit of a postcode lottery. In Bristol it's slightly better, although I've had some shockers there too, but I'm moving back up there soon so that is good as the CMHT know me better, and I like more of them!

That sucks dude, can't they give you something to help with your sleep? I'm kinda **** really, need a good cry but I can't! Might do some mindfulness to try and reconnect with the world!

Yeah, hoping they'll phone tomorrow :smile:

That's good then, hopefully you'll have more luck with the team there!

Who are 'they'? :laugh: My GP has buggered off somewhere and has always been reluctant to give me sleeping pills anyway, and I'm not in active contact with anyone else. I'm just stuck with it for the moment.

Ah, I hate that feeling :frown: Mindfulness sounds like a good idea, hope you find it helpful :hugs:
Reply 6190

What do you think will happen if you say you won't do it? :console:

He goes on a rant and stuff, I think?

Only got out of bed today to eat dinner. Haven't even bothered getting up to smoke :sigh: I wish I could just function like a normal human being.
Reply 6192
Just be careful they don't go all Freudian on you. Or at least be prepared for it if they do! :yes:

Can counselling end up going that way? O.o
Original post by avhhs
He goes on a rant and stuff, I think?

It'll be hard in the short term, for sure, but if you really don't want to fast then it might be a price worth paying in the long run :yes:

Original post by Deyesy
Can counselling end up going that way? O.o

:yes: If you are given psychodynamic counselling, it can :yes: I'm not trying to scare anyone: just saying be prepared! I really could have benefitted from knowing that I was being given psychodynamic counselling and what that meant/entailed :yes:
Original post by Nut.
Thanks both.
There isn't really anything I can do at the moment, I just have to wait it out or try to completely ignore it.

I know it's really annoying when people seem to be disregarding advice or not helping themselves but it isn't something I can go into either online or in person because the only people I could talk to about it are family (which is hugely involved in it), friends (who I can't tell because this involves a crime by a family member and they don't know about it) or professionals (who are bound by the law to act on any information I give them).

So I'm a little stuck.

Sounds like a really difficult situation :console: Is the crime something which would be taken to court by the police, or would it involve someone else prosecuting? If it's something which the police are unlikely to independently prosecute for, then you could tell professionals confidentially? Sorry if I'm talking rubbish, I don't have any experience with such matters.
Reply 6195
It'll be hard in the short term, for sure, but if you really don't want to fast then it might be a price worth paying in the long run :yes:

Maybe :yep:

Also, I seem to have become addicted to this :colondollar::

:biggrin:
Anyone seen the advert for the new Channel 4 program about employing 'mad' people? The premise is similar to the show that BBC2 did a few years ago where psychologists/psychiatrists attempted to see if they could diagnose mental illness from just observing people over a week long period - apart from this time it's employers looking to hire people and half the people who are being interviewed have/have had a mental illness - or as Channel 4 puts it delicately, are 'mad'. It's part of a series of programs trying to break through the stigma of mental illness.

BUT. The advert just repeats the word 'mad' and it's pissed me off, how the hell can they say that they're trying to challenge stigma when they're constantly pushing a word that has a lot of negative connotations to it in the face of that? It's just a show based on guessing on appearances who has a mental illness and who hasn't, which is the bloody stigma they're trying to combat! It's made me so, so angry. Not to mention the fact that it's implying that people with mental illnesses are less able to work (which may be true in certain situations, but to be perfectly frank as an employee I am a damn sight better than some crummy guy who doesn't want to be there and is taking the job just to please their JSA advisor - yes I have an illness but I am hard working and dedicated and will often put my job over my mental health in a negative way) in a productive manner.

Grr.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jul/16/4-goes-mad-mental-illness
Reply 6197
Glued to my phone for some reason :colondollar:

Original post by kiss_me_now9
Anyone seen the advert for the new Channel 4 program about employing 'mad' people? The premise is similar to the show that BBC2 did a few years ago where psychologists/psychiatrists attempted to see if they could diagnose mental illness from just observing people over a week long period - apart from this time it's employers looking to hire people and half the people who are being interviewed have/have had a mental illness - or as Channel 4 puts it delicately, are 'mad'. It's part of a series of programs trying to break through the stigma of mental illness.

BUT. The advert just repeats the word 'mad' and it's pissed me off, how the hell can they say that they're trying to challenge stigma when they're constantly pushing a word that has a lot of negative connotations to it in the face of that? It's just a show based on guessing on appearances who has a mental illness and who hasn't, which is the bloody stigma they're trying to combat! It's made me so, so angry. Not to mention the fact that it's implying that people with mental illnesses are less able to work (which may be true in certain situations, but to be perfectly frank as an employee I am a damn sight better than some crummy guy who doesn't want to be there and is taking the job just to please their JSA advisor - yes I have an illness but I am hard working and dedicated and will often put my job over my mental health in a negative way) in a productive manner.

Grr.

I've never heard of that show or seen the advert, and I just tried searching for it on Youtube but couldn't find it unfortunately. But this info of this show doesn't surprise me, as a while ago Channel 4 also had another programme called "The Undateables", about disabled people looking for love. Despite the provocative title (which many people were very angry about before it aired), it was actually a rather good documentary and handled the issues well and sensitively. So I dunno, it could be that same sort of thing?
Original post by kiss_me_now9

Grr.

Not sure what to make of it to be honest. There's so much stigma and misunderstanding about mental health that I'd like to think it might challenge a few misconceptions. Some people in the comments section of that article are saying things like "well everyone gets depressed" and "most people have felt suicidal at some point" :lolwut:?! I hate how illnesses such as depression, anxiety, OCD and even eating disorders are trivialised. "Oh, well everyone gets sad/worried sometimes", "I'm a bit OCD about that", "She looks anorexic", etc. Even worse is the way that illnesses such as schizophrenia, PTSD, paranoia and psychosis leave sufferers labelled as "crazy" and "in need of locking up". It's sickening. Yes, people's beliefs and thought patterns can be frustrating at times (I sure as hell know mine can be!), but they're ill, and they need your support rather than your judgement. It is perfectly possible to live a normal life despite a mental illness, and I wish more people realised that.

I'm sure a lot of it is due to ignorance and poor understanding of what constitutes a "mental illness", which only further aggravates me because these things should be spoken about in school in the same way that children are taught how to eat healthily and handle stress.

Latest