The Student Room Group

Is it likely to be a problem socially if I don't drink at university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Swanbow
Well although I do have fun drinking, I am going to have to disagree with you about alcohol being fun.

:s-smilie:

Did you mean to contradict yourself?

Either you think drinking alcohol is fun, in which case you agree with me, or you think it is not, in which case I assume you are now teetotal.
Reply 41
Original post by py0alb
What's that got to do with the question of alcohol?

I just don't understand how you feel you can answer my original question if you have never tried it. I don't enjoy cocaine myself or ectasy, its just not for me, so seems reasonable that some may feel the same about alcohol and amazingly enough some may not even enjoy sex. :eek:

Original post by py0alb
Either stay on topic or go post elsewhere.

You know where the report button is. :wink:
I didn't drink but I had no problems.
Reply 43
Original post by n00
I don't enjoy cocaine myself or ectasy, its just not for me, so seems reasonable that some may feel the same about alcohol and amazingly enough some may not even enjoy sex. :eek:

Exactly my point. Thank you!
Reply 44
Original post by F Ellen
Well, hello! You've met one now in yours truly. If you go back a page, you'll meet another who clearly says that alcohol affects her negatively and that she enjoys herself much better without it.

As for the "lots of people" who converted to drinking, well how wonderful for them. But you're making a lot of assumptions about the OP here and their experiences with alcohol.

And also - comparing alcohol with sex just because they're both considered in a general sense to be enjoyable is flawed in regards to the point of this thread. Sex can also be destructive for some, but that's another discussion for another thread. Should we encourage people to have casual sex frequently because if not, they would have less fun?

Are you seriously saying that alcohol is always a "fun thing" for everyone and that everyone that says they don't like it are only saying that because they must be mistaken?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one!

Alcohol doesn't affect anyone negatively who doesn't having an underlying psychological issue. Thats an exception, granted, but its a pretty damn rare one and I don't think we can assume it applies to the OP.

I think sex is an excellent comparative example. Both are extremely fun, popular activities that make us feel amazing. If someone says "I don't like sex", we wouldn't say "thats ok, sex clearly isn't for you", we would say "then you're doing it wrong".

Well thats the same logical, considered reply I am giving to someone who says they don't like alcohol. Alcohol has something to give to everyone, if you don't like it, then you're doing it wrong.
Reply 45
Original post by py0alb
:s-smilie:

Did you mean to contradict yourself?

Either you think drinking alcohol is fun, in which case you agree with me, or you think it is not, in which case I assume you are now teetotal.

You do know it is both possible to enjoy and and not enjoy yourself on separate occasions while doing the same thing right? When I was young drinking was generally fun, now it isn't. I'm not teetotal as I still like a social pint, but I'm just trying to put across that drinking isn't all fun and games.
Reply 46
Original post by n00
I just don't understand how you feel you can answer my original question if you have never tried it. I don't enjoy cocaine myself or ectasy, its just not for me, so seems reasonable that some may feel the same about alcohol and amazingly enough some may not even enjoy sex. :eek:

You know where the report button is. :wink:

If someone didn't enjoy sex, we'd assume they were depressed and prescribe medication. Perhaps the same logic could be applied to someone who doesn't enjoy alcohol?

Of course, most people who think they don't enjoy alcohol haven't actually tried it properly, they've just done something stupid like necking a bottle of vodka then thrown up on their shoes.
Reply 47
Original post by Swanbow
You do know it is both possible to enjoy and and not enjoy yourself on separate occasions while doing the same thing right? When I was young drinking was generally fun, now it isn't. I'm not teetotal as I still like a social pint, but I'm just trying to put across that drinking isn't all fun and games.

So what you're saying is that when you were young you liked drinking, but now you are not young you like drinking a social pint, which is of course just another form of drinking.

So you have always liked drinking and still do, just in different ways.

ok I appear to have missed the bit where you contradict me.
I have to agree with py0alb. There are so many different types of alcoholic beverages that it's just very very very unlikely that you don't enjoy at least one of them unless you're somehow allergic to alcohol. By not your drinking alcohol, you're limiting your social life. You don't need alcohol to have fun just like you don't need friends to have fun but they both help. If you want to immerse yourself in student life, which alcohol is a part of, then you're going to have to at least try a couple different drinks.

If you're doing it for religious reasons, then you could always hang out with your religious society but that does limit your social life.
Reply 49
Original post by py0alb
So what you're saying is that when you were young you liked drinking, but now you are not young you like drinking a social pint, which is of course just another form of drinking.

So you have always liked drinking and still do, just in different ways.

ok I appear to have missed the bit where you contradict me.

Okay I'll rephrase myself. Binge-drinking is overrated, and slowly becomes tedious and no longer becomes fun.
Reply 50
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
I have to agree with py0alb. There are so many different types of alcoholic beverages that it's just very very very unlikely that you don't enjoy at least one of them unless you're somehow allergic to alcohol. By not your drinking alcohol, you're limiting your social life. You don't need alcohol to have fun just like you don't need friends to have fun but they both help. If you want to immerse yourself in student life, which alcohol is a part of, then you're going to have to at least try a couple different drinks.

If you're doing it for religious reasons, then you could always hang out with your religious society but that does limit your social life.

As someone who also doesn't drink, I have to massively disagree with this point. If anything, i've found people at Uni want to make more of an effort to make sure I feel involved. It's never been a problem for me, especially in the last year, as i'm able to join in with the humour etc without alcohol, but nevertheless i've seen nothing but support and enthusiasm for my no-drinking.

You certainly don't have to try any alcohol to get along just fine at Uni. That's just simply not true.
Reply 51
Original post by py0alb
Alcohol doesn't affect anyone negatively who doesn't having an underlying psychological issue. Thats an exception, granted, but its a pretty damn rare one and I don't think we can assume it applies to the OP.

Ooh really? You're completely disregarding medical conditions here, then? Alcohol is a drug which produces a range of side effects, and doesn't necessarily affect everyone the same way.

Original post by py0alb
Alcohol has something to give to everyone, if you don't like it, then you're doing it wrong.

This statement is not only generalising, it's completely untrue! I don't even know where to start with it!

By the way, sex and alcohol are not the same thing. Alcohol is a drug that affects the mind, health and behaviour, and not always positively. Once you've consumed it you have no control over what it does to your body - it's nothing to do with "doing it wrong".

I'd like to point out that I don't see alcohol as inherently bad, I have many friends who drink and I'm not some sort of anti-alcohol activist. I'm just disagreeing with your "alcohol is great for everyone" opinion.
Reply 52
Original post by Swanbow
Okay I'll rephrase myself. Binge-drinking is overrated, and slowly becomes tedious and no longer becomes fun.

It's always fun to see the new freshers do it and make complete arses of themselves (and occasionally play the game of 'which one's the slag of the gro.. Oh it's her, she's already going for it'), mind.
Reply 53
Original post by py0alb
If someone didn't enjoy sex, we'd assume they were depressed and prescribe medication.

That would be the most obvious reason i guess but i would want to know more before coming to that conclusion myself but hey what do i know i dont have a PhD in physics.

Original post by py0alb

Perhaps the same logic could be applied to someone who doesn't enjoy alcohol?

Perhaps

Original post by py0alb

Of course, most people who think they don't enjoy alcohol haven't actually tried it properly, they've just done something stupid like necking a bottle of vodka then thrown up on their shoes.

Perhaps, but i can assure you i have tried cocaine and ecstasy properly and didn't enjoy them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by py0alb
If someone didn't enjoy sex, we'd assume they were depressed and prescribe medication. Perhaps the same logic could be applied to someone who doesn't enjoy alcohol?

Sounds like a general line that someone addicted to crack would say to rationalise their use.
Reply 55
Original post by Swanbow

well yeah obviously.

But thats only a small fraction of what alcohol has to offer, its like saying "sex is no fun" (and by sex I mean sex with strangers in public toilets).
Original post by Schmucks
As someone who also doesn't drink, I have to massively disagree with this point. If anything, i've found people at Uni want to make more of an effort to make sure I feel involved. It's never been a problem for me, especially in the last year, as i'm able to join in with the humour etc without alcohol, but nevertheless i've seen nothing but support and enthusiasm for my no-drinking.

You certainly don't have to try any alcohol to get along just fine at Uni. That's just simply not true.

What's the longest time you've drank consecutively whilst at uni and going out?
Reply 57
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
What's the longest time you've drank consecutively whilst at uni and going out?

Never. I don't drink. And I know it isn't something that has, in any way, halted me from any experience at University.
Reply 58
Original post by Sk18
I am hoping to apply to Cambridge but there seems to be a lot of drinking societies and something like 90% of students drink; when you factor in all of those who don't drink for religious or health reasons that leaves seemingly very few people in my situation and I am wondering if it is likely to be a disadvantage socially. I have no problem being around those who do drink but I don't want it to get in the way of both study and my relationship with other people.

Thanks for any replies :smile:

You will be fine. I'm not a big drinker, really don't worry about it.

Most of the OTT drinking goes on with the sports teams, so if you are sporty, just try not to make an issue out of the fact you don't drink.
Original post by Schmucks
Never. I don't drink. And I know it isn't something that has, in any way, halted me from any experience at University.

Then you can't possibly make this statement, can you? You'd have to try to experience your social life with drinking and social life without drinking then and only then can you compare and state whether it's hindered or advanced or stayed the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending