The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask about open days and applying to Sheffield for 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cakey_101
Hi, if Sheffield is in clearing this year does that mean theres more of a chance of getting in with lower grades as they have a few spaces left?

Thanks!

Hello :smile:

Thanks for your message.

Even where we have vacancies on a course, we still require applicants to achieve high academic standards so that we know they're capable of succeeding in their degree studies. However, if you narrowly miss the conditions of our offer we may still be able to confirm your place, so long as we feel that you're sufficiently academically prepared.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Student Recruitment Administrator
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Good morning!

Now that we’re into August, everyone is starting to think about (a) the Olympic Games in Rio and (b) Results Day and Clearing.

If your focus is (a), the BBC has a wealth of information: www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016 (other sports websites are available).

If you’d like to know more about (b), we’ve created a handy guide which is now live at: www.sheffield.ac.uk/clearing

If you think that you might be using Clearing or Adjustment, you can register your interest in our courses now so that you’re ahead of the rush: https://clearing.shef.ac.uk/
Please note: the course list on the advance registration page includes all of our undergraduate courses but not all of them will have places in Clearing. We’ll only know which courses have places when the exam results are out.

Have a good week :smile:

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
(edited 7 years ago)
** Attention: all international and EU (non-UK) students coming to Sheffield **

On behalf of our colleagues in International Student Support, we'd like to share details of this year's Orientation week, which provides a very warm welcome and additional support to students who are moving to the UK to study at Sheffield.

Manchester Airport - Meet & Greet Service (11th-18th September)
www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/international/before/meet-greet
We will be running a coach service from Manchester Airport to Sheffield from 11th to 18th September. Tickets cost £25 and you must book your ticket online.

Orientation Week (12th-16th September)
www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/newstudents/orientation-week/september
Orientation week is optional but it is a great way to start settling into campus and university life. You can arrive on any day during the week and take part in sessions, which include:

Workshops on academic study skills, managing your money and understanding British culture :h:

Talks about immigration, banking and University registration procedure

Tours of campus and walks around the local area :biggrin:

Talks from university services

Lots of social events where you can meet other new students :u:

We also offer two services during Orientation Week, which will speed up your registration in Intro Week*:

Qualification verification please bring your original certificate and transcript (not copies) with their certified English translations

Immigration and visa requirements (international students only) to meet UK Visas and Immigration requirements, we must take copies of your passport, 30 day travel vignette (if appropriate) and visa or BRP.

*Intro Week is when you formally start at university and register for your course

It costs £5 to join Orientation Week and there may be additional charges for some of the social events. You can stay in Orientation Week accommodation (additional cost applies) or make your own arrangements.

Global Campus
Global Campus is our social media forum that helps to bring together UK, EU and international students. Join our Facebook group or follow us on Twitter @shefglobal

We look forward to seeing you in September :smile:
Hello,

I am thinking of applying to sheffield uni for 2017 entry, and was thinking off applying for a business management course. However the only problem is my gcse's. my gcse math is at a grade C, where-as English is a Grade B. And the course is asking for a B in Mathematics.
I am however doing exceptionally well, so there's no doubt that i would meet the entry requirement (bar my gcse) for the course.

So i was wondering is there still any chances of my being accepted onto the course, despite my gcse in mathematic being 1 grade lower than the course is asking?
Original post by Dann.It
Hello,

I am thinking of applying to sheffield uni for 2017 entry, and was thinking off applying for a business management course. However the only problem is my gcse's. my gcse math is at a grade C, where-as English is a Grade B. And the course is asking for a B in Mathematics.
I am however doing exceptionally well, so there's no doubt that i would meet the entry requirement (bar my gcse) for the course.

So i was wondering is there still any chances of my being accepted onto the course, despite my gcse in mathematic being 1 grade lower than the course is asking?

Good afternoon :smile:

I've heard back from our admissions team and I'll send you a direct message now.

Best regards

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
This may sound like a silly question but i just wanted to make sure! Is there any point in applying for a course in clearing if you've already applied for it as your firm?

Thanks!
This may sound like a silly question but i just wanted to make sure! Is there any point in applying for a course in clearing if you've already applied for it as your firm?

Thanks!

If you are accepted by either your firm or insurance, you are ineligible for clearing.

If they reject you, it is unwise to apply to them in clearing, as they have had your results for a week and have decided that they do not wish to have you as a student, so will most likely reject you again in clearing
Hi there!

Can you email [email protected] with the rest of your GCSE results please? We'll then be able to advise you further.

Thanks,

Maddie from the Management School

Original post by Dann.It
Hello,

Congratulations to all the students who have received their Scottish Highers or Scottish Baccalaureate results today :u:

Interesting to see that 50,000 students received their results by text :smile:

Elizabeth
UK/EU Recruitment Officer

Thanks!

Good afternoon :smile:

I've checked with our admissions team and here's their advice:

If you missed the grades for your Firm choice course and the university does not confirm your place, you should not apply for this course in Clearing. This is because the course will be looking for applicants who have higher grades. For example, if our offer was AAB and a student achieved BBB and their place was not confirmed this indicates that we will not be making offers to any student with BBB or lower in Clearing.

I hope that's helpful and good luck on results day.

Elizabeth
I feel like I'm being incredibly annoying now but I'm just so anxious! I hold a conditional offer for Education, Culture and Childhood Studies but I know I really want to study History instead. I think (and hope) I got higher than the entry requirements, so am I able to apply for History at the same university??I've registered in advance to do this but I don't even know if it is possible! Also, if it IS possible, when does the University call these advance students?? Would it be in the morning or is it hard to predict? Sorry for so many questions haha
Original post by kit2016
I feel like I'm being incredibly annoying now but I'm just so anxious! I hold a conditional offer for Education, Culture and Childhood Studies but I know I really want to study History instead. I think (and hope) I got higher than the entry requirements, so am I able to apply for History at the same university??I've registered in advance to do this but I don't even know if it is possible! Also, if it IS possible, when does the University call these advance students?? Would it be in the morning or is it hard to predict? Sorry for so many questions haha

Good morning :smile:

We fully appreciate that this is an anxious time for everyone waiting for their results so it's prefectly natural that you may be considering different options and need some advice about how those work. :h:

I've checked with our admissions team and you've done the right thing by advance registering for History. We will send you an email on results day to let you know if there are any places available and what to do next. I'm not sure about the timing of when the email goes out but I would expect it to go out in the morning. If you don't get an email first thing, you can always call our Clearing Helpline, which opens on Thursday morning at 7.30am - 0114 222 8015. During Clearing, we strongly encourage all students to use the Helpline as phone calls are prioritised over other forms of communication at this busy time.

I hope that helps and good luck on results day.

Elizabeth
Hi everyone

Lynsey Hopkins, who heads up our admissions team, has some useful advice to share about Results Day and Clearing:
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/applying/a-level-results-day-what-to-do-ucas-clearing-adjustment-a7182681.html

And . . . Samuel Boutel chose Sheffield in Adjustment last year for BSc Economics and hasn't looked back since. His experience of Adjustment was simple and straight forward
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/clearing/ucas-clearing-what-is-adjustment-what-to-do-on-a-level-exam-results-day-a7187311.html

We hope you find both articles helpful and reassuring :smile:

Good luck!

Elizabeth
(edited 7 years ago)
Good afternoon on the Monday before A-level results day :smile:

As Thursday draws closer we have one reminder and a couple of mentions to share with you:

The reminder: you can advance register for Clearing or Adjustment at the University of Sheffield and fast track your way to the front of the queue. To find out more, please visit www.sheffield.ac.uk/transform

Mention 1: our latest vlog post gives you all the essential points about Clearing and Adjustment in just 1 minute:

Mention 2: Yorkshire has a proud heritage of doing well in the Olympics and that continued this weekend with University of Sheffield alumni Jessica Ennis-Hill winning silver in the Heptathlon and Bryony Page taking silver in the trampolining :u:. Well done and congratuations to both!

Have a good week

Elizabeth
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Good morning :smile:

We fully appreciate that this is an anxious time for everyone waiting for their results so it's prefectly natural that you may be considering different options and need some advice about how those work. :h:

I've checked with our admissions team and you've done the right thing by advance registering for History. We will send you an email on results day to let you know if there are any places available and what to do next. I'm not sure about the timing of when the email goes out but I would expect it to go out in the morning. If you don't get an email first thing, you can always call our Clearing Helpline, which opens on Thursday morning at 7.30am - 0114 222 8015. During Clearing, we strongly encourage all students to use the Helpline as phone calls are prioritised over other forms of communication at this busy time.

I hope that helps and good luck on results day.

Elizabeth

Thank you so much!
Are your libraries 24/7 and do you have a decent engineering department?
Original post by Vividly clear
Are your libraries 24/7 and do you have a decent engineering department?

Hi :smile:

We have a number of libraries and they have different opening times.The Information Commons and the Diamond are open 24/7. Western Bank is open into the late evening during term time and the times for our health sciences libraries vary.

Engineering is one of our largest faculties with 5,000 students and it's one of the top 3 engineering faculties in the UK for research income (£40 million). The Diamond is the faculty's new building, which opened in September 2015 and cost £81 million to build and fit-out:

[video="youtube;iS2zAy_-FyM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS2zAy_-FyM[/video]

You can read all about our wide range of BEng and MEng engineering courses, many of which offer a year in industry, on our online prospectus.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by The University of Sheffield

We have a number of libraries and they have different opening times.The Information Commons and the Diamond are open 24/7. Western Bank is open into the late evening during term time and the times for our health sciences libraries vary.

Engineering is one of our largest faculties with 5,000 students and it's one of the top 3 engineering faculties in the UK for research income (£40 million). The Diamond is the faculty's new building, which opened in September 2015 and cost £81 million to build and fit-out:

[video="youtube;iS2zAy_-FyM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS2zAy_-FyM[/video]

You can read all about our wide range of BEng and MEng engineering courses, many of which offer a year in industry, on our online prospectus.

Best regards

Elizabeth

Thanks for the information, lovely school.
Will stating that i'm retaking my GCSE Mathematics hinder my application, or chances of receiving an offer to study at the business school?
Original post by Dann.It
Will stating that i'm retaking my GCSE Mathematics hinder my application, or chances of receiving an offer to study at the business school?

I've just sent you a direct message with more info on this.

All the best

Elizabeth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending