The Student Room Group

Camp America 2016!

Scroll to see replies

I'm due to fly out on 12th June, and I've only just minutes ago uploaded my medical form (which is basically two JPEG files, as in pictures, is JPEG okay?), but now I've found out it needs to be uploaded "at least a month before I depart for the US". Will this be a massive problem or will I still be able to leave on the 12th? I have my visa, passport, paid fees, everything else.
Original post by Puny Earthling
I'm due to fly out on 12th June, and I've only just minutes ago uploaded my medical form (which is basically two JPEG files, as in pictures, is JPEG okay?), but now I've found out it needs to be uploaded "at least a month before I depart for the US". Will this be a massive problem or will I still be able to leave on the 12th? I have my visa, passport, paid fees, everything else.

Hey! As long as you have it uploaded before you leave that's fine don't worry :smile: Did the upload work ok? Sometimes if it's 2 files it doesn't work properly. You can always just send it to [email protected] to double check or they can upload it for you. Most importantly, don't worry you can still fly :smile: - Dan
Like a lot of previous posts, I'm RSG and am starting to get incredibly nervous about not having been placed yet...:frown: This is literally my dream for summer, and I'm so confused whether to start trying to find accommodation for a summer working here or whether to put all my eggs into the camp america basket... I know so many people have been reassured on here but surely the amount of placements left is dwindling?
Reply 143
I've just been offered a place! I was wondering if anybody could help me with a query I have in regards to treks? I assume we're supposed to find accomodation for ourselves if we have a fair few days between the end of our placment and the start of a trek? And also to find our way back to NY from whichever state we're in, for our leaving flight?

Also unsure as to whether to go on the treks, or to hope to find people that want to travel on my camp?
Where do I find the Customs Declaration Form (CF-6059 White Form)?
Original post by ophelia578
Like a lot of previous posts, I'm RSG and am starting to get incredibly nervous about not having been placed yet...:frown: This is literally my dream for summer, and I'm so confused whether to start trying to find accommodation for a summer working here or whether to put all my eggs into the camp america basket... I know so many people have been reassured on here but surely the amount of placements left is dwindling?

Hey! We appreciate your concern but I want to re-assure you there is still of time for placements to be made. As part of the RSG agreement your application will stay live in the system until the end of June so we still have camps hiring until then. I understand you may feel time is running out but trust us, you still have a very good chance of going to camp this year. If you want to speak to someone about your application just give us a call on 020 7581 7373. - Dan
Original post by Laitz
I've just been offered a place! I was wondering if anybody could help me with a query I have in regards to treks? I assume we're supposed to find accomodation for ourselves if we have a fair few days between the end of our placment and the start of a trek? And also to find our way back to NY from whichever state we're in, for our leaving flight?

Also unsure as to whether to go on the treks, or to hope to find people that want to travel on my camp?

Congratulations on your placement!! Yeah so for the treks it is down to you to get yourself to the start point and cover any accommodation/travel until then. Once you're on the trek everything is taken care of but again once you finish it is then down to you to get back to New York or whichever airport you're flying from - it might be worth looking at the flexi flight options. You'll have plenty of wifi access throughout the trip to book your travel back to the airport.

If you need any help deciding on a trek or just general info about them, give us a call on 020 7581 7373 and ask for Jimmy! In terms of finding people on your camp, either ask your director or best way is to interact with us on Twitter @CampAmerica69 or Facebook and we'll share your posts to help find others!

Hope that helps! - Dan
Original post by bazinga_punk
Where do I find the Customs Declaration Form (CF-6059 White Form)?

You'll find those at the airport when you arrive or on your flight :smile: - Dan
Is it likely you're not going to place a lot of people on RSG?
If anyone is interested in an alternative to Camp America then I would recommend Camp Leaders- went with them a few years ago and had a great time http://www.campleaders.com/gb/
Original post by Itsmereb
Is it likely you're not going to place a lot of people on RSG?

In previous seasons we've had a very high % placement for RSG placements and we're very confident this year will be as successful. We're only half way into June and there are still plenty of camps hiring staff every day and will be until the end of the month so there's a great chance for any RSG applicant still in the system to get placed :smile: - Dan
Original post by Ed Phelan
If anyone is interested in an alternative to Camp America then I would recommend Camp Leaders- went with them a few years ago and had a great time http://www.campleaders.com/gb/

Or if you don't want an alternative you canalways check out the original! www.campamerica.co.uk To see how good of a time our participants have had also check out this link https://www.campamerica.co.uk/the-experience/real-experiences
I'm thinking of applying for next summer so I was wondering what kind of experience would be preferred? So I can gain the experience to ensure a placement. Any suggestions of what to gain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im wondering this too! Ive not had childcare exprience and i couldnt get experience coaching as i dont have a specific skill ! .. Also wondering what everyone done for their second reference? Ive only had one employer since leaving school (im a student)
Im wondering this too ! I dont have any experience coaching kids or even childcare in general. Coaching experience wouldnt be possile either because i dont have a specific skill... Im also wondering what everyone done for their second reference? Ive only had one employer since leaving school! (Im a student)
Reply 155
Hey dan, thanks for giving me assurance.
I have a problem that you will hopefully be able to address. I am a RSG candidate and therefore I assumed my application would be open till the end of June. On the 30th I therefore thought I would not get placed, and so my family booked me a flight to New York at the end of August to go on the family holiday.
Just the day after I got an email from a camp saying that they would like to interview me, and after a talk on Skype with the director she offered me the position.
I have today to make up my mind as to whether I want to take up her offer, but the flights we booked for New York have a 100% cancellation fee policy. It is however possible to change the first flights date to the day on which she wants me to travel.

My question is whether it would at all be possible for camp america to pay for the flights we have booked, so that they are not wasted and so that I can be a counselor. The flights are the cheapest that my father could find, and if camp america could have got cheaper flights we would be willing to pay the difference. I understand this is a big ask, but if there is anything at all that you would be able to do to help then I would be so grateful.
hi
Original post by Robsmwilson
Im wondering this too! Ive not had childcare exprience and i couldnt get experience coaching as i dont have a specific skill ! .. Also wondering what everyone done for their second reference? Ive only had one employer since leaving school (im a student)

Well you can use your old school teacher as a reference :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest