The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Woooh, more chemists!

If anyone has any questions regarding the Chemistry department, fire away!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by latarontella
Hello! This is a thread if you are going to firm imperial. Just say what subject you want to study at imperial and your offer :smile:. I am going to read chemistry and have an offer of AAA.

Original post by ChemAddict
:hi:

Fellow chemist here. Looking to firm atm, but waiting to see how my january exam goes before I decide :smile:

Hey !! Another Chemist here who'll be firming Imperial !
Reply 22
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
Hey !! Another Chemist here who'll be firming Imperial !

Nice one :smile:

Did you apply last year??
Nice one :smile:

Did you apply last year??

Nope. I'm a first time applicant.

Why would you think that ?
Reply 24
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
Nope. I'm a first time applicant.

Why would you think that ?

Ahh fairr, I thought I saw you on last years group too, might just be me though...
Ahh fairr, I thought I saw you on last years group too, might just be me though...

Actually, I think you might be right... I did ask a few questions in some ICL group... Except I wasnt applying back then :P
Original post by Cyco
Woooh, more chemists!

If anyone has any questions regarding the Chemistry department, fire away!

Hi, I want to know how's life at imperial! Haha not really about the Chemistry dept though.
How many people are there admitted for Chemistry each year? Are the chemists a close-knit community? :smile:
Which is the best hall to stay in, considering distance (from the chem lab/lecture halls) and facilities available. And, when it's time to move out in the 2nd year, is it hard to find accommodation in London?

Thanks!!
Reply 27
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Hey guys, well done on your offers. I'm at Imperial at the moment, first year biochem. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Oooh Yay! How is the course/how is life as a biochemist in Imperial? Are you having a good first year? :smile:
Original post by Maite

Original post by Maite
Oooh Yay! How is the course/how is life as a biochemist in Imperial? Are you having a good first year? :smile:

The course is very good and very interesting; the majority of lecturers are excellent and the general vibe in lectures is awesome (sounds weird, but it's true). First year is very enjoyable so far, whenever I mention to anyone I study at Imperial College, their reaction inflates my ego quite a bit, lolz

I've got exams coming up in a few weeks, although i've just had a tutorial on exams and it seems reassuringly easy to do well. Good luck in your exams!
Hi, I'm firming for Biology!

My offer is a 5 in AP Chemistry and a 4 in AP Calculus BC because I'm an international hipster and A levels are so mainstream.
Original post by cantonicalls
Hi, I'm firming for Biology!

My offer is a 5 in AP Chemistry and a 4 in AP Calculus BC because I'm an international hipster and A levels are so mainstream.

Firming for biology too! I'm doing it with french though :smile:
Joining you on the hipster front as I do IB and so my offer is 38 (6s in biology and chemistry), definitely agree there- A levels are SO mainstream :wink:
Reply 31
Original post by chocolatesforever
Hi, I want to know how's life at imperial! Haha not really about the Chemistry dept though.
How many people are there admitted for Chemistry each year? Are the chemists a close-knit community? :smile:
Which is the best hall to stay in, considering distance (from the chem lab/lecture halls) and facilities available. And, when it's time to move out in the 2nd year, is it hard to find accommodation in London?

Thanks!!

The number of Chemistry freshers has been increasing every year or so, so I'd expect about 130/140 people as a sensible number - could be more, could be less. Chemists stick together (I could make a joke here about attractive forces holding us together, but I'm sure it would repel people from this thread) as most of each day is spent working together, and you get to know everyone really well. I guess it's the same in any department, tbh.

As all the Chemistry-related areas you'll need to get to are all in the centre of campus (essentially) the nearer your Halls are to campus, the nearer you'll be to where you need to be. The closest halls are Southside, Eastside and Beit, and they're all close to Ethos (the gym) too. Coincidentally Southside, Eastside and Beit are the most expensive Halls to live in.

Finding accommodation for 2nd year onwards can be a bit tricky, but there's lots of places (mainly around Fulham/Hammersmith (i.e. a 30/40 minute walk away)) to go for. It's always easier and cheaper to want to move in with a group of people you know, as well.
Reply 32
Original post by Cyco

As all the Chemistry-related areas you'll need to get to are all in the centre of campus (essentially) the nearer your Halls are to campus, the nearer you'll be to where you need to be. The closest halls are Southside, Eastside and Beit, and they're all close to Ethos (the gym) too. Coincidentally Southside, Eastside and Beit are the most expensive Halls to live in.

You missed out Garden and Weeks :wink:.
AAA for Physics w/ Theoretical Physics MSci. :sexface:
Original post by Cyco
The number of Chemistry freshers has been increasing every year or so, so I'd expect about 130/140 people as a sensible number - could be more, could be less. Chemists stick together (I could make a joke here about attractive forces holding us together, but I'm sure it would repel people from this thread) as most of each day is spent working together, and you get to know everyone really well. I guess it's the same in any department, tbh.

Finding accommodation for 2nd year onwards can be a bit tricky, but there's lots of places (mainly around Fulham/Hammersmith (i.e. a 30/40 minute walk away)) to go for. It's always easier and cheaper to want to move in with a group of people you know, as well.

Thanks! (:
Reply 36
Hey eveyone :smile:

I've got an offer of AAA to study a Masters in chemistry with medicinal chemistry and a year in industry... so yeah, another chemist!
Reply 37
Offer for Physics with Theoretical (MSci) dunno whether i should firm or not, i hear the social life is quite boring...
Reply 38
Original post by haibara ai
Hey eveyone :smile:

I've got an offer of AAA to study a Masters in chemistry with medicinal chemistry and a year in industry... so yeah, another chemist!

Welcome to the club :hello:

You looked at accomodation yet?
Reply 39
Original post by Jedbrien
Offer for Physics with Theoretical (MSci) dunno whether i should firm or not, i hear the social life is quite boring...

hey congrads!!!! could you tell me how long have u been waitting after you submit your application?

Latest