The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

Done and done. :tongue:
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Does anyone know of any simple radiation experiments I can do at university? I have to do a project and would like to do some experiments based around radiation. Anyone know of any?

Do you mean ionising radiation (alpha, beta gamma) or electromagnetic radiation in general? If so, which type of electromagnetic radiation?
You need to be more specific in your request to get a more specific reply.
Original post by Stonebridge
Do you mean ionising radiation (alpha, beta gamma) or electromagnetic radiation in general? If so, which type of electromagnetic radiation?
You need to be more specific in your request to get a more specific reply.

Ionising radiation, not that interested in electromagnetic radiation unless it was gamma/xray.
The simplest are those measuring absorption and the range of the radiation in various materials.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Ionising radiation, not that interested in electromagnetic radiation unless it was gamma/xray.

If you can get your hands on a geiger counter and a selection of rocks the difference in background radiation given off might be interesting (depending on the rocks you can get).
I would say if you can get some pre WW2 hull plating from a sub sea wreck that would also be interesting but most of that has been grabbed by the medical industry...
Reply 845
Can anyone recommend any good physics books for a 16 year old ?
Original post by mountainmetman
If you can get your hands on a geiger counter and a selection of rocks the difference in background radiation given off might be interesting (depending on the rocks you can get).
I would say if you can get some pre WW2 hull plating from a sub sea wreck that would also be interesting but most of that has been grabbed by the medical industry...

Thinking of changing to X-rays instead, and maybe using experiments involving x-rays in different areas (ie. materials).
any website with visual examples of the basic working of heat/steam engines?

It's for my thermodynamics.

Thanks! :smile:

Edit: I am negged for this? :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Why so dead?
Reply 849
Original post by boromir9111
Why so dead?

Very well then, you get the ball rolling :awesome:
Original post by dknt
Very well then, you get the ball rolling :awesome:

What is the difference between Special relativity and Relativity? Go layman style with me, i am a rookie :colone:
Reply 851
What is the difference between Special relativity and Relativity? Go layman style with me, i am a rookie :colone:

Well "relativity" in general encompasses the ideas of relativity of Gallileo and such and onwards to Einstein. If you mean general relativity, that's Einstein's theory of gravitation which expands upon Newton's Gravitation. Special relativity comes from 2 postulates made by Einstein: that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum in all inertial frames and that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames....

Goonburger :awesome:
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't know this thread existed :tongue:

Although I am doing a maths degree, my main interests lie within astrophysics, where I enjoy the idea of theoretical cosmology (the idea of dark matter). Although my knowledge is not to a great depth (sadly exams have meant I can't look into it more) I do plan to really look into it over the summer.

So what I should have started with: :wavey:
Original post by dknt
Well "relativity" in general encompasses the ideas of relativity of Gallileo and such and onwards to Einstein. If you mean general relativity, that's Einstein's theory of gravitation which expands upon Newton's Gravitation. Special relativity comes from 2 postulates made by Einstein: that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum in all inertial frames and that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames....

Goonburger :awesome:

Is time travel possible?

Geek-a-zoid :awesome:
Reply 854
Is time travel possible?

Geek-a-zoid :awesome:

You're doing it right now, 1 second per second. Noob :awesome:
Original post by dknt
You're doing it right now, 1 second per second. Noob :awesome:

I can see the fifth dimension now......:awesome:
Reply 856
What is the criteria for joining this fine institution?

Also, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some reading. I'm 16 and studying Physics at Scottish Higher lever and plan to pursue a degree in the subject and so plan to do some reading over summer as I will be applying later this year. Thanks :smile:
Original post by ..lauren

Also, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some reading. I'm 16 and studying Physics at Scottish Higher lever and plan to pursue a degree in the subject and so plan to do some reading over summer as I will be applying later this year. Thanks :smile:

Click HERE and join :smile:

:yy:
Reply 858
Click HERE and join :smile:

:yy:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by ..lauren

The criteria is that you enjoy physics :yep: :p:

There's this recommended reading list, but it's pretty out of date tbh http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=270868
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest