The Student Room Group

How can anyone like Doctor Who?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by JGR
Everything I've seen of Fringe makes me doubt your second claim.
At least Doctor Who doesn't pretend to be scientific.

I feel sorry for you then Season 3 was close to perfection, the writing and acting was/is superb. I think even the people who like Doctor Who will admit it's a poor show if they had any sense. Quality =/= popularity.
Reply 101
Original post by mau5
I feel sorry for you then Season 3 was close to perfection, the writing and acting was/is superb. I think even the people who like Doctor Who will admit it's a poor show if they had any sense. Quality =/= popularity.

I'm quite happy to admit that Doctor Who is often (particularly of late) quite woeful.
However, whenever I start to watch Fringe with my partner, it just grates on me too much for me to enjoy it at all.
Reply 102
Doctor who is amazing! However I do accept only some like it... sad.
I love sci-fi and fantasy stuff, but Doctor Who really irritates me with its stupid storylines. It was alright up to when Tennant left but the last 2 series have been pretty bad imo.
I think it's aimed at kids/young teens. My Dad used to watch the original one when he was a boy - he doesn't watch the modern one.

I've seen bits of it but it's not my cup of tea, each to his own though.
Original post by mau5
Doctor who = Bad
Fringe = Good

Hardly a groundbreaking claim son. Honestly I'm sure the standard of TSR users falls by the day.

Your arrogance doesn't exactly help your cause.

Once again, you seem to be stating your opinion as though it were a fact, you seem to think that everyone thinks like you because you also seem to have your head so far up your own arse!

Thinking that everyone has the same opinion as you is exactly what makes nutjob dictators nutty.

Honestly I'm sure the standard of TSR users falls by the day. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mau5
Quality =/= popularity.

Glad to see you finally admit that not everyone likes (or should like) whatever rubbish it is what you like.
Original post by Miracle Day
X Factor is a worldwide show...

So is Doctor Who, it's broadcast in 47 countries.

with hundreds of awards...

The UK version of X Factor has won 7 awards, not hundreds. Doctor Who has been nominated for over 200 awards and has won over a 100 of them (including 30 Baftas). It was also voted the 3rd best programme in the 100 Greatest British Television Programmes http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/911085.stm

and tenfold the viewers of Doctor Who.

You've just fabricated this. Dr Who averages approximately 7m viewers in the UK, X Factor averages about 10m in the UK; hardly "tenfold the viewers", and considering Sci-Fi is a fairly niche genre, 7m is astonishingly high.

Is that a good enough basis?

No, because most of what you've said is BS.

I'd much prefer the X Factor to the reign of Moffat & Smith, however not Davies & Tennant.

The one thing that we can agree on is that Dr Who under Davies and Tennant was better than the current Moffat and Smith incarnation.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm sure many people dislike Dr. Who for a variety of their own reasons (and they're certainly welcome to do so), but I think the show has some really great qualities if you give it a chance. I watched reruns of old episodes when I was a kid and I enjoyed them then (I felt at the time, on the strength of his wearing celery on his jacket, that Peter Davison and I should be friends), and I watch the newer episodes as an "adult" and enjoy them now.

I agree with many of the previous posts that you have to understand what Dr. Who does and doesn't aim to be. Dr. Who is silly and quirky and often ridiculous, and that's much of its charm. It's not plausible or reasonable, but that's not the point. Though it may sound trite, the heart of Dr. Who is really The Doctor. There are plenty of things that annoy me to no end about the show, plenty of times when characters or plot lines disappoint me, but I keep watching because he's such a compelling, contradictory character. He's childlike and effervescent despite being ridiculously old. He's excited about new possibilities despite having seen just about everything. He's interested in the universe despite being (intellectually and otherwise) totally alone. He's playful and hopeful even though he's been disappointed by the universe time and time again. He should be a tragic character, and in many ways he is, but I think because he's so energetic and surprising and silly most of the time his moments of real sorrow are (beneath all the silliness) particularly powerful.

I'm not a huge science fiction fan, but I think Dr. Who pulls off science fiction particularly well. For any story to be good, it has to both be surprising and true. Stories that are too mundane, that are too similar to our own experiences of the world, don't teach us anything. Stories that don't ring true don't matter to us because we can't see ourselves in them. Good stories, as anthropologists like to say, "make the familiar strange, and the strange familiar". Science fiction is naturally alien, so the challenge for good science fiction is to make the alien human. The Doctor does this really, really well. Despite being an alien with two hearts who fights monsters that are so clearly products of 60s it's both adorable and a little painful, he's a deeply human alien (not just because he's played by a human actor). The 10th Doctor once described himself as "laughing at the darkness", which I found to be a really beautiful and sad and fundamentally human thing to say. His character is ridiculous, but he's also uniquely poised to see other people's ridiculousness (which they tend to take very seriously), and challenges you to do the same.
(edited 12 years ago)
A few people seem to be saying that the show is aimed at children, and can understand why children would like it, but as it's a children's show can't understand why adults would like it. The show is not solely aimed at children, it's branded as a family show. Therefore it's aimed to appeal to all ages (except very young children).
Reply 110
hot people, monsters and the plots just sorta reel you in :creep:
Reply 111
Original post by AidanLunn
Your arrogance doesn't exactly help your cause.

Once again, you seem to be stating your opinion as though it were a fact, you seem to think that everyone thinks like you because you also seem to have your head so far up your own arse!

Thinking that everyone has the same opinion as you is exactly what makes nutjob dictators nutty.

Honestly I'm sure the standard of TSR users falls by the day. :biggrin:

I don't think everyone has the same opinion as me. There seems to be two groups of people in this thread, those who think it's an awful show catering for the mass braindead tasteless british public and those who are wrong.
Original post by mau5
I don't think everyone has the same opinion as me. There seems to be two groups of people in this thread, those who think it's an awful show catering for the mass braindead tasteless british public and those who are wrong.

There you go again, being an arrogant ******** stating your opinion as though it were fact!

And I meant to say that you seem to think that everyone *should* like what you like . . .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by AidanLunn
There you go again, being an arrogant ******** stating your opinion as though it were fact!

And I meant to say that you seem to think that everyone *should* like what you like . . .

Not the brightest of lads are you? Go run along and troll another thread and stop wasting my time here.
Original post by mau5
Not the brightest of lads are you? Go run along and troll another thread and stop wasting my time here.

I*'m* the one trolling?

*You're* the one wading into a thread stating opinion as fact. I'm simply the one telling you to shut up because no-one cares about your opinion.And *You're* the one killing off discussion in a thread by attempting to "stir the pot" and change the thread topic, which, IIRC, was asking about why some people like Doctor Who, not about whether one show is better than the other.

And stating that you are broadcasting your opinion as fact is not in any way a tell-tale sign of intellectual ability. However, arrogance, particularly yours, is a tell-tale sign of the absence of intellectuality between the ears of the person in question - i.e. you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 115
Doctor Who is a ****ty show. If that's the best the UK has to offer then UK tv is cow chocolate.
Original post by Sharri5
Doctor Who is a ****ty show. If that's the best the UK has to offer then UK tv is cow chocolate.

. . . and over-glossed American TV is better?

But don't let observing any other nations TV get in the way of your sweeping generalisations.
I'll probably get negged for this but whatever..

Ever since Moffat and Matt Smith took over I've been thoroughly dissapointed with watching the show. The writing is much worse than RTD's and I do not like the direction they've aimed the show in. Doctor Who now seems like it's aimed at a much younger audience compared to that of the RTD era and now and again I even feel uncomfortable watching some of the scenes. How they cling on to such stupid things like "Fish fingers and custard" and "ragged man"

I also feel like it's much harder to connect with the show. Seeing events happen in modern Earth, seeing BBC news headlines, seeing an Eastenders clip on Doctor Who meant the show seemed much more relevant.

Not only this but I also feel like I'm watching a different show. RTD tied in Doctor Who, Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood so nicely. So what? Nobody on Earth could die and Amy/Rory never thought of mentioning it to the Doctor? Okay..

Anyway that's my rant. Hopefully some of you feel the same. It's definitely not an age thing because sometimes I still happily enjoy rewatching old episodes and have tried my best to like Moffat and Smith but just can't. If today's episode isn't amazing I'll probably not watch it again.
Totally agree, it's rubbish now. Every episode just consists of them running away for 50 minutes before the Doctor comes up with an ingenius plan, and a random character they met in that episode comes to the rescue. None of the episodes are inventive or imaginative like they used to be and they keep finding silly excuses to bring back old villains that have been wiped out forever and ever multiple times in the past. Yaaaaawn.

Oh well, could be worse, it could be Primeval.
I couldn't agree more. It's not really my kind of show but I used to watch it because it was very well written and the acting was quite good. I stopped watching it when Russell left and Matt joined, he's so creepy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending