The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4840
Original post by M4LLY
This one time at the hotel where i work there was this one guy who was so drunk he thought that it would be funny to throw his food at all the other guests and staff. After a few more pints he then chundered everywhere which a couple of people (including me) had to clean up.

Well if he decided to throw food at other guests and staff why was he allowed to stay / sold even more drinks? :/
Reply 4841
Dunno, the managers decided he should be allowed to stay (although he was moved to a deserted area of the dining room)
Original post by M4LLY
Dunno, the managers decided he should be allowed to stay (although he was moved to a deserted area of the dining room)

Well unfortunately they were breaking the law by serving him more alcohol while intoxicated then.

All academic now though I suppose.
Reply 4843
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
Well unfortunately they were breaking the law by serving him more alcohol while intoxicated then.

All academic now though I suppose.

Although it is a law no business (not one i know anyway) actually keeps to it because they make more money if they don't.
Annoying staff....

Staff who sing the same set of lyrics every 2 minutes for about 4 hours. I want to kill them in so many different ways :angry:. Today's cashier kept singing "I need a dollar, dollar, dollar is what I need". I wouldn't mind if he sang the whole song but it was literally just them same lyrics every 2 minutes like he expected me to break out some american dollars and pay him to shut the feck up :angry: Mind you, it doesn't beat my last job in Mcdonalds.... the song of choice was "I kissed a girl and I liked it", except people thought it was funny to change the lyrics to "I kissed xxx's mum and I liked it". Yea, real original.... I love hearing that 100 times a day from about 10 different people....
Original post by Stevo112
Annoying staff....

Staff who sing the same set of lyrics every 2 minutes for about 4 hours. I want to kill them in so many different ways :angry:. Today's cashier kept singing "I need a dollar, dollar, dollar is what I need". I wouldn't mind if he sang the whole song but it was literally just them same lyrics every 2 minutes like he expected me to break out some american dollars and pay him to shut the feck up :angry: Mind you, it doesn't beat my last job in Mcdonalds.... the song of choice was "I kissed a girl and I liked it", except people thought it was funny to change the lyrics to "I kissed xxx's mum and I liked it". Yea, real original.... I love hearing that 100 times a day from about 10 different people....

Wow, never work with me! You'd probably hate my random outbursts of song throughout my shifts. Honestly, it makes menial jobs less boring...and makes other staff smile. Us who sing/dance etc don't generally care if others hate it, especially if we make it comical.

I'll be sure to think of you when I next have a little karaoke in work!
Original post by VickyTink
Wow, never work with me! You'd probably hate my random outbursts of song throughout my shifts. Honestly, it makes menial jobs less boring...and makes other staff smile. Us who sing/dance etc don't generally care if others hate it, especially if we make it comical.

I'll be sure to think of you when I next have a little karaoke in work!

When your working in groups of 2 or 3 max it gets exceeding less tolerable. I have to admit that at least in McDonalds, despite hearing how someone had kissed my mum about 100 times, I found refuge in talking to other people. Nothing against the people singing it, but it is just irritating to me. I'll be honest it is funny the first few times, and we have a bit of a chuckle. But if you do it every single minute and sound like a broken jukebox....so uncool! Would it kill to make some normal conversation once in a while?! :rolleyes:

This post isn't specifically at you, i'm just putting the guy I worked with today in your more light-hearted context. I asked him a few questions about himself, found out a bit. Did he reciprocate? Hell no, he just started begging for a frigging dollar :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
When your working in groups of 2 or 3 max it gets exceeding less tolerable. I have to admit that at least in McDonalds, despite hearing how someone had kissed my mum about 100 times, I found refuge in talking to other people. Nothing against the people singing it, but it is just irritating to me. I'll be honest it is funny the first few times, and we have a bit of a chuckle. But if you do it every single minute and sound like a broken jukebox....so uncool! Would it kill to make some normal conversation once in a while?! :rolleyes:

This post isn't specifically at you, i'm just putting the guy I worked with today in your more light-hearted context. I asked him a few questions about himself, found out a bit. Did he reciprocate? Hell no, he just started begging for a frigging dollar :angry:

Ahh, we still make conversation, the stupidness is just to pep up some of the grumpier ones. There's about 6/7 of us, and a few of us tend to do it, but we do sing different songs.

I'll admit singing the same one over and over is annoying, and especially the same line...but try doing it back to them one day with another equally annoying song!
Original post by VickyTink
Ahh, we still make conversation, the stupidness is just to pep up some of the grumpier ones. There's about 6/7 of us, and a few of us tend to do it, but we do sing different songs.

I'll admit singing the same one over and over is annoying, and especially the same line...but try doing it back to them one day with another equally annoying song!

i'll sing to him next time :cool:
Annoying staff....

I don't actually think there are any other lyrics to that song, to be fair :p:
Original post by clo-clo1
I get that all the time, I'm 23 I'll get my ID if you want.

The worst is when people have ID, moan at you for about 5 minutes then pull out their ID- why not just get it out in the first place.

Because a lot of these people are total morons...I'm 27 and shouldn't be humiliated in front of other customers, nor should I be forced to carry my passport around all the time just in case some idiot exercises total lack of judgement! By the way, I work in a job where I need to ask for ID but I actually have common sense and have never annoyed anyone obviously well over-age with such absurdities.
Original post by FlickeringEmber
Because a lot of these people are total morons...I'm 27 and shouldn't be humiliated in front of other customers, nor should I be forced to carry my passport around all the time just in case some idiot exercises total lack of judgement! By the way, I work in a job where I need to ask for ID but I actually have common sense and have never annoyed anyone obviously well over-age with such absurdities.

Alot of supermarkets have challenge 25, so if you look abit younger than 27, it isn't that farfetched that you'd get asked for I.D. In what way is it humilating anyway? It's more humilating or embarrassing should I say when you kick up a fuss for getting asked for I.D. and then refused service on the back of it. You even work in a place that requires asking for I.D for gods sake, you know as well as anyone that nobody enjoys asking for it, it just has to be done sometimes. Some people just look younger than their age. Simple.
Hahaha, rep simply for time and effort put into the post!!

But yea, that sounds like a typical day in our place too! I especially relate to your take on the young lads and their footie coupons. What strikes me is that many hand you their slip in a solemn manner!!! They come in buzzing about footie then feel embarrased with their 17 fold acca. I DONT CARE! I hope to god they win, but better them putting on £1 than spending their life in the bookies! Or do they think i'm some horrible person?! I work here to pay bills, not because i like it :p: Oh and when you randomly ask them something about footie, half of them give you a puzzled expression as if they didn't realise that you actually had some thought/life beyond the bookies :rolleyes: But then again, they are all sound! It is when the majority of young lads do drugs that you have to start being vigilant.

I don't know where I am for national yet. The joys of being on relief :p: I reckon it will be a rougher shop though... so I just hope the regulars are on their best behaviour :redface: Probably around the Wavertree area, which is not on a train route (yay less business).

If it is the shop i'm thinking of then we will get our usual clientele all day;

The regulars who play cards on the table (had 2 of them square up to me before, but I think they respect me now because i didnt back down haha)

an attractive 18 year old guy who spends his free time in the bookies (we are talking 10 hour stints). He dated a cashier briefly but was apparently weird

the **** off man.... He puts £20 in the roulette... he only ever stakes £1 per spin and EVERY TIME he loses all he says is "**** off" or the occasional "****"

Two grumpy old men who place £1.05 etc bets and query every single payout, heaven forbid if they ask for 6/4 and you see 11/8 EVEN IF they only have £1 staked

Crazy cleaning lady who spends her day walking round every bookies in the city and cleans them up for free

some guy who has had a stroke... he comes in either suited up or with slobber around his gob/on his shirt and screams "fiiiive pouuunds nummberrr 5 nexxxxxt racccce" - nice guy, just had a mental breakdown tho. He was a doctor!!

The nits. The guys who know my name (I dont wear a name badge). They come round on comp day only, say "hi ste you ok?" and then have 1 demo and then go

One young customer who is very standoffish with me. If I weren't so patient he'd have been barred by now.

The young druggies/kebab shop owners. Don't get me wrong, some are nice! But the majority either slag you off in turkish, or come in acting like the shop is simply a big toilet for them to have a crap in. Or do some weeding deelings.

Le Moana. He is actually one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and quite the ladies man it seems! He's about 50, but he just moans and moans about gambling. I hear 50 stories every day about how the machines are rigged!! But he has helped me out with my job on occasions.

The golden oldies. Usually lovely with me! In and out with their 49's, some light flirting if permitted and bing! Job done.

The lesbians! They come in as a couple, put on the 49s, stick around for a bit, I have a bit of a flirt/laugh with them and then they go! Lovely girls :p:

And that is our regular clientele

Haha, excellent. Do you know where you're working yet?
Original post by ForeverOptimistic
Haha, excellent. Do you know where you're working yet?

yea man, i'm in a shop up in Toxteth :biggrin:

It takes about 1k bets on a normal saturday, so it should be one of the busier shops in the Pool.

Customers should be ok, few smack heads but generally they are sound :biggrin:
yea man, i'm in a shop up in Toxteth :biggrin:

It takes about 1k bets on a normal saturday, so it should be one of the busier shops in the Pool.

Customers should be ok, few smack heads but generally they are sound :biggrin:

Toxteth, bit rough then? I'd imagine every shop within a 10 mile radius of Aintree will be backed out of the door all day.

You might have to wear sunglasses with the amount of orange tan stumbling through your parts then.

The busiest shop I worked in for G.N. took just shy of 3,000 bets. I would love it to be that busy all the time, time flies.

4 days to go...
Toxteth, bit rough then? I'd imagine every shop within a 10 mile radius of Aintree will be backed out of the door all day.

You might have to wear sunglasses with the amount of orange tan stumbling through your parts then.

The busiest shop I worked in for G.N. took just shy of 3,000 bets. I would love it to be that busy all the time, time flies.

4 days to go...

thought I was going to be in a shop around wavertree which is more of a dive than this one... But thankfully not :redface:

Yes they will be! I started off in a little shop near West Kirby like 2 years ago and they struggled to take 100 bets a day (though one of the punters was a millionaire and a big loser so the shop made a lot of money lol!). On national they took about 2,300 bets which was mental with just 3 members of staff

Where do you work?
thought I was going to be in a shop around wavertree which is more of a dive than this one... But thankfully not :redface:

Yes they will be! I started off in a little shop near West Kirby like 2 years ago and they struggled to take 100 bets a day (though one of the punters was a millionaire and a big loser so the shop made a lot of money lol!). On national they took about 2,300 bets which was mental with just 3 members of staff

Where do you work?

T'other side of the country in Scarborough.

That must have been mental with just 3. They usually get at least 5 members of staff on for it where I work no matter how busy the shop is. It brings in all sorts of new custom so you need floorstaff to make sure people know what they're doing. It's annoying on a normal day when people haven't filled marksence/footie coupons in right (like you said before, spaghetti stains), so by the time someone's come up with a bet, you can bang it straight through. "What does each-way mean?" You better get an efficient answer to that question prepared mate.

Staying over in Preston on Friday, and then coming up early Saturday to Liverpool. My mate lives in Aintree so it's very handy for parking/sofa for the night.
Hate it when female customers are paying and they give me a tenner that they stored in their bra. I don't want your sweaty tit money, thanks.
Or any customers who put the note in their mouth as they're looking for other change or something. Ugh saliva money. :erm:
T'other side of the country in Scarborough.

That must have been mental with just 3. They usually get at least 5 members of staff on for it where I work no matter how busy the shop is. It brings in all sorts of new custom so you need floorstaff to make sure people know what they're doing. It's annoying on a normal day when people haven't filled marksence/footie coupons in right (like you said before, spaghetti stains), so by the time someone's come up with a bet, you can bang it straight through. "What does each-way mean?" You better get an efficient answer to that question prepared mate.

Staying over in Preston on Friday, and then coming up early Saturday to Liverpool. My mate lives in Aintree so it's very handy for parking/sofa for the night.

"if your horse comes in the top 4 then you win"

EZ PZ :cool:
Original post by FlickeringEmber

I'll have my licence soon so anyone I serve underage will be on me-my licence, my fine.
I have common sense, if you look under 21 you get ID'd- how the person acts also depends on whether I ID them.

Latest

Trending

Trending