The Student Room Group

£36,000? Really?

I am interested in going back to uni to study something else as a hobby, as my previous UG degree was obtained 2 years ago and now I am bored.

However, degrees are now £9k per year? Plus at least £3k per year compus accom.

Is there no way of doing any kind of study at a bricks and mortar uni without these ludicrous prices?

Scroll to see replies

Such a shame that I cannot go back to uni unless I win the lottery. Sums up everything that is wrong with this country.
Reply 2
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Such a shame that I cannot go back to uni unless I win the lottery. Sums up everything that is wrong with this country.

Why is it wrong that the government won't lend you endless sums of money to take as many degrees as you want? They're pretty clear, you can borrow for your first degree, they won't fund any more. If you're bored why don't you get a job and study the subject you want in your own time just for interest.
Original post by Skarm
Why is it wrong that the government won't lend you endless sums of money to take as many degrees as you want? They're pretty clear, you can borrow for your first degree, they won't fund any more. If you're bored why don't you get a job and study the subject you want in your own time just for interest.

I have had my free degree.

I don't want another free degree.

I just prefered the previous payscale (i.e. £3k per year). The recent price hike is ludicrous, and prices people like me out of the system, who are even willing to spend their life savings to get back in uni.

not really isolated to this country... everything costs someone money... you already got your degree, a degree that was much more government subsidised than current uni students. in an ideal world all education would be free but this isn't an ideal world... let alone country. you can't keep doing degree after degree at the government's, and therefore tax payer's, expense... just because you are "bored".
To be honest they did have ELQ fees before this, so even before the new policy it would have likely cost you about 30k.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you could go to Netherlands for less and do a course taught in English. Would probably save you about 12-15k of the 36k.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6

Well, you sum up everything that is wrong with this country - so in a manner of speaking you are correct.
Reply 7
Original post by Skarm

i dont think you understand...they wont fund you for a 2nd UG degree...so they'll have to pull out the money from themselfs...now instead of around 3.4k a year they be paying 9k a year...of their own money obviously after working as to get money to fund yourself for 3 years would require you to have worked if not from a well off background.

i bet u still dont realise what they are complaining about
Original post by Bellissima
not really isolated to this country... everything costs someone money... you already got your degree, a degree that was much more government subsidised than current uni students. in an ideal world all education would be free but this isn't an ideal world... let alone country. you can't keep doing degree after degree at the government's, and therefore tax payer's, expense... just because you are "bored".

I have a thirst for knowledge, especially in the travel, history, lesiure, languages fields. Even if it doesn't lead to good careers I still love to enhance knowledge in those fields. I think it's great that people want to further their education, and I know I'm not the only one.

To pay my way for further degrees is my hobby/career in a way (as long as it leads to personal enhancement), but with modern prices I am simply priced out of the market.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Shouldnt of picked a ****e degree in the first place, for you to want to do another.

Why should we be paying to stop you from being bored? People shouldnt be paying for your entertainment, you should pay for it yourself or find cheaper ways to keep yourself busy. Its such a shame I cant go on holiday this summer unless I get a job to pay for it but that isnt a problem with the country.
I wouldn't be against charging people international fees for a second UG degree without mitigating circumstances.
I find it funny that so many people are missing the point...

Try reading my posts before chipping in with irksome diaspora.
Reply 13
Original post by Sternumator
Why should we be paying to stop you from being bored? People shouldnt be paying for your entertainment, you should pay for it yourself or find cheaper ways to keep yourself busy. Its such a shame I cant go on holiday this summer unless I get a job to pay for it but that isnt a problem with the country.

What do people not understand by only being funded for ONE degree...they WILL pay for it themselves if they want a second unless its a medicine or dentistry to which there are other factors.
I have had my free degree.

I don't want another free degree.

I just prefered the previous payscale (i.e. £3k per year). The recent price hike is ludicrous, and prices people like me out of the system, who are even willing to spend their life savings to get back in uni.

The issue is that your life savings aren't enough to pay for what it costs to run a university divided by the number of people attending.
I have a thirst for knowledge, especially in the travel, history, lesiure, languages fields. Even if it doesn't lead to good careers I still love to enhance knowledge in those fields. I think it's great that people want to further their education, and I know I'm not the only one.

To pay my way for further degrees is my hobby/career in a way (as long as it leads to personal enhancement), but with modern prices I am simply priced out of the market.

the government pays out for degrees because they usually benefit them in the long run. how would you doing countless degrees as a hobby benefit them? why should the government fund a hobby? why should i or my nextdoor neighbour or steve from liverpool pay for your hobby?

you don't need a degree to learn.
Reply 16
If your serious about it try another country, we had a woman give a presentation about it at out school, I think in some scandinavian countries its 1.5k a year, and Denmark I think it was, it's free.
there should then be a cheaper alternative for advanced study.

if you like such things as travel and language why not do as suggested and go to uni in a foreign country?
Reply 18
What about postgraduate study? Depending on what field your undergraduate degree is in and what your particular interests are you could perhaps apply for Research Council funding for masters or PhD study?
Original post by DarkTitan
What do people not understand by only being funded for ONE degree...they WILL pay for it themselves if they want a second unless its a medicine or dentistry to which there are other factors.

Sorry I don't understand the post. Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Quick Reply

Latest