The Student Room Group

Are exams getting easier?

I know this is a reoccurring question but I thought I would state my views. I do think to an extent GCSEs have become easier over the years but have A-level exams? The reason I ask is because I tried an A-level Chemistry paper from 1972 today. I actually got an A and I thought it was pretty easy. I know this isn't representative of all exams. Also people (generally geriatrics) always say how, "exams were harder", in their day but I did an exam from, "their day", and it was pretty easy.

So what are your thoughts?

Edit:I don't see the point on giving me negative ratings, as I was merely starting an open-minded debate. Some people are obviously too subjective and myopic to see that :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Harder
Reply 2
Yes, they've got easier. But universities and employers now want much higher grades than they used to, so it evens itself out.
Reply 3
I just don't get all the hype about it. I'm sure the older generation have better things to do than criticise younger generations on some random grade they get.
At the end of the day past questions will guide new questions so whether they become easier as a result of this as younger people have more resources available or it is totally irrelevant I don't think it really matters.

There are bigger issues out there that need attending to tbh.
Reply 4
I know you're talking about A Levels, but saw the following question on a GCSE Maths paper.

"Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) is calculated by taking 220 and subtracting the person's age. Geoff is 22. What's his MHR?"

For 2 marks.
On a calculator paper.

Something's wrong with the world.
Reply 5
Original post by Pawsies
I just don't get all the hype about it. I'm sure the older generation have better things to do than criticise younger generations on some random grade they get.
At the end of the day past questions will guide new questions so whether they become easier as a result of this as younger people have more resources available or it is totally irrelevant I don't think it really matters.

There are bigger issues out there that need attending to tbh.

Yeah you're right. I don't understand the ubiquitous hatred of the concept of exams getting easier. It is irrelevant but obviously many members of the 'older generation' think it is relevant. It is sad really.
I have no idea, and I suspect not many others here do either really, beyond what they've heard.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
I know you're talking about A Levels, but saw the following question on a GCSE Maths paper.

"Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) is calculated by taking 220 and subtracting the person's age. Geoff is 22. What's his MHR?"

For 2 marks.
On a calculator paper.

Haha :smile: That made me laugh I must admit.
Reply 8
They've changed, not necessarily got harder or easier. Now, knowing what the examiner wants is half the battle of doing the exam.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski

For 2 marks.
On a calculator paper.

Wow. What paper was that?
Reply 10
Original post by -aimz
They've changed, not necessarily got harder or easier. Now, knowing what the examiner wants is half the battle of doing the exam.

Yeah that's true. Apparently exam boards didn't ever produce a syllabus back then. I say that, some syllabus' are so vague and ambiguous. Also I think in terms of A-levels there are more marks allocated for application of knowledge in new situations. If anyone has done AQA Biology unit 4, they'll know what I mean when I say, most of the exam is unrelated to knowledge actually needed =/ So I suppose in that aspect exams have become harder.
Reply 11
Original post by Vian
Wow. What paper was that?

Something like 'Functional Skills Maths' or a similarly window-licking level of nonsense.
Reply 12
I did a GCSE C3 Paper on Monday, one of the questions was:

What is the formula for the molecule of water?

And this one of many such questions, on an exam aimed at Year 11's. So yeah, definitely easier...
My economics lecturer says that in the last 5-7 years exams have gotten harder, for economics anyway...
Reply 14
It's hardly about knowing the actual subject anymore, anyways. I could recite everything about Chemistry to you, but to actually get a good grade, I have to say exactly what the examiner dictates on a mark scheme.

Personally, I don't think they've changed much at all, difficulty-wise. Like I said, it's about whetting the examiner by the mark scheme and not your own true knowledge.
Reply 15
Original post by Digisword
I did a GCSE C3 Paper on Monday, one of the questions was:

What is the formula for the molecule of water?

And this one of many such questions, on an exam aimed at Year 11's. So yeah, definitely easier...

That's just ridiculous. If someone got that question wrong they shouldn't have the privilege of drinking water.
Reply 16
This is a personal opinion:
The exams are easier and different I think:

-Resits makes getting grades below A* easier
-Easier access to past papers

However, the application of knowledge question such as "How science works" and the A* grade are still hard to achieve.
Reply 17
I would say that exams are easier now than they used to be. I can only talk about maths exams though as I have access to papers that go back to around 1965 and the questions then are, in my opinions harder than the ones today.
Reply 18
Some exams are ridiculously easy. On my GCSE maths mock, there was a question: find the square route of this on your calculator. It was like three marks. I honestly checked to see that they hadn't accidentally given me the foundation paper, since it was so easy!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I would say that the exams themselves have not necessarily become easier but the transparency of information available to students has increased and this has greatly improved the ability of students to prepare for exams. I say this as someone who is a mature student taking A-Levels for personal interest at the moment in preparation for another degree and who also sat A-Levels 20 years ago.

When I first did them there was zero availability to students of past papers and mark schemes and the the courses were all linear so you studied for 2 years before doing a mock exam and that was generally your first encounter with any kind of past paper. If someone failed and needed to retake that meant a summer on a crammer course if your parents could afford it or you were stuck with the grades you had. The seemingly constant resits and remarks that students see as normal was non-existent at least at my school. That said there was less pressure overall I feel as there was only one exam period so the stress of exams and waiting for results was confined to just a few months from the June through August at the end of the second year.

I don't think it's as simple as comparing a paper from 1972 to one from 2012 because these days the volume of information that a student needs to learn per exam is greatly reduced and students have access not only to the specification/syllabus but also to the internet and so many diverse ways of learning. Believe me it took a lot longer to study back then when the main option was books and there was none of this immediate technology available.

In many ways I think the current system of mainly teaching to test is the primary reason that grades have increased and papers seem easier these days but I also think it is a shame that the system has become like that because I think students these days miss out on really understanding and enjoying their subjects because the entire exercise has become about filling a bucket rather than lighting a fire.

Quick Reply

Latest