The Student Room Group

Article: Firm and insurance choices

Scroll to see replies

Hi, sorry if this has been asked already but if I don't get into my Firm can you still call your insurance and ask them to release you into clearing in the same way that you've said you can do that when getting your firm offer? I'm having doubts about my insurance choice now and my faith of getting into my firm is dwindling, so I don't want to end up somewhere I'm going to hate.
Original post by wickedisgood
Hi, sorry if this has been asked already but if I don't get into my Firm can you still call your insurance and ask them to release you into clearing in the same way that you've said you can do that when getting your firm offer? I'm having doubts about my insurance choice now and my faith of getting into my firm is dwindling, so I don't want to end up somewhere I'm going to hate.

You can but if you know now that you would prefer clearing to your insurance you can call them now. They can be removed as insurance choice on track and if you don't get accepted by your firm you'll be straight into clearing instead of spending results day calling your insurance choice you can be calling other universities.

You have until mid July to sprt this out but the sooner the better.
I have two offers from the same uni for two very similar courses I have already made my firm and insurance choices. I put the one with lower grade requirements as my insurance (ABB). However I feel like I want to do my insurance course now rather than my firm. If I meet the requirements of my firm on results day can I call the uni and ask to switch courses? (bearing in mind both are basically the same subject).
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I have two offers from the same uni for two very similar courses I have already made my firm and insurance choices. I put the one with lower grade requirements as my insurance (ABB). However I feel like I want to do my insurance course now rather than my firm. If I meet the requirements of my firm on results day can I call the uni and ask to switch courses? (bearing in mind both are basically the same subject).

Call them up on Monday and ask what flexibility there is for you to switch between courses. Depending how similar they are and the policy of the university you might be allowed to switch as late as second year of the course or they might not allow any switching at all.

They're the only people who can answer your question (and it's a questions they will be asked regularly and wont hold against you).
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh

Remember - if you meet you offer for your Firm choice then your Insurance choice automatically disappears - and you cannot get it back. The Uni will get A levels results ahead of Results Day so this process will have happened days before you get your results, so to be safe you need to do any changes like this before August.

Advice for everyone - do not leave this sort of change-of-mind to Results Day!
Are you allowed to reject both offers when you get your results if you got better grades than expected and decide to reapply the following year?
Original post by Jonesy99
Are you allowed to reject both offers when you get your results if you got better grades than expected and decide to reapply the following year?

You can withdraw from UCAS for this cycle at any point. Just watch out for any commitments you make through enrolling on your course or agreeing to an accommodation contract.
If you miss your firm and get into your insurance, are you obliged to go there? I don't really want to go to my insurance - I'd rather take a year out and reapply again for my firm choice. Just before I send in my final choices to UCAS.
Original post by baznoy
If you miss your firm and get into your insurance, are you obliged to go there? I don't really want to go to my insurance - I'd rather take a year out and reapply again for my firm choice. Just before I send in my final choices to UCAS.

Then dont have an Insurance. Its pointless if you have no intention of going there.
You dont need one - you can just have a Firm.
Original post by baznoy
You can cancel your place on Results Day if you still don't want to go to your insurance; although returnmigrant has a point, at the same time ideas about what people want change a lot in five months, so it's best not to close off your options earlier than you must. I'd advise choosing an insurance, and seeing how things are nearer the time. The other point is that if you miss your Firm offer and they don't take you anyway, your chances if you re-apply may not be very good, unless you plan to resit (not as easy as it used to be). So, again, burning of boats when you don't need to is not recommended.
Original post by baznoy

Not getting into your dream university is not the end of the world. There are other ways to still get there. One, of course, it to take gap year and reapply but why run the same risks again unless you have a productive gap year. Alternatively, you can do very well in your 2nd choice and then follow up with a Masters at your dream uni. Just my two cents.
If both your firm and insurance have the same grade requirements, and you get exactly the grades that both universities ask for, you will still be allocated a place at your firm, right? I have applied for medicine and would like to put Kings as my firm, as this is the university I really want to go to (offer is 3 As) and Leicester as my insurance, which is also asking for 3 As. I just wanted to make sure that as long as I get 3 As, there is no chance that I will be allocated my insurance?
Original post by ShenelW
If both your firm and insurance have the same grade requirements, and you get exactly the grades that both universities ask for, you will still be allocated a place at your firm, right? I have applied for medicine and would like to put Kings as my firm, as this is the university I really want to go to (offer is 3 As) and Leicester as my insurance, which is also asking for 3 As. I just wanted to make sure that as long as I get 3 As, there is no chance that I will be allocated my insurance?

If you meet your firm grades then you're going to your firm choice.

If you miss your firm grades then unless your firm choice actively decide that they won't accept you with the lower grades then your insurance choice will not be a factor in any way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending