681-690 15%
691-700 12%
701-750 28%
751-800 6%
801-850 1%
851-9002%
Total votes: 163
AKA Team Wolfson!

Welcome to the 2012/13 cycle of Medicine Applications. I am your host, Harbour Seal, an exapplicant and soon-to-begin first year who depended on this thread for news, information, and, of course, her sanity.

We will be joined by other current medical students as time goes on. Feel free to ask us questions!

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride. :colone:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey all. Just to say I will be adding the link to this thread to the 2013 Index in the medical schools subforum. Good luck everyone. :smile:
Reply 2
VV, you are all things good and beautiful.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Reply 3
Original post by Harbour Seal
VV, you are all things good and beautiful.

D'aww :h:

Good luck all! :ciao:
Reply 4
Just emailed the admissions officer to see if they'd accept my qualifications so lets see.
Reply 5
Original post by Zedd
Just emailed the admissions officer to see if they'd accept my qualifications so lets see.

Yay!
Reply 6
Yay!

iff they get back to me and say that I can do summer school or a premedical year then I'll apply. Otherwise I'll stick with the east coast :tongue:
Reply 7
Hi All,

I left uni more than five years ago so when I called the admissions office back in March they told me my best bet was either to resit higher chemistry and biology or do a masters. Obviously chemistry and biology would be quicker and easier.

So..

I've got an evening place in college doing chemistry (Tuesday night) but all the biology courses that I've found are on the same night. I've been accepted into human biology to do it as a kind of distance thing. I was pretty sure that was ok but I just checked the entry requirements page again and it states: Chemistry and Biology Higher, to be obtained within the last five years of the entry date.

Can anyone put me out of my misery now and tell me if human biology is acceptable? Obviously I'll phone them tomorrow to confirm but it'd be nice to have an indication :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by withnail
Hi All,

I left uni more than five years ago so when I called the admissions office back in March they told me my best bet was either to resit higher chemistry and biology or do a masters. Obviously chemistry and biology would be quicker and easier.

So..

I've got an evening place in college doing chemistry (Tuesday night) but all the biology courses that I've found are on the same night. I've been accepted into human biology to do it as a kind of distance thing. I was pretty sure that was ok but I just checked the entry requirements page again and it states: Chemistry and Biology Higher, to be obtained within the last five years of the entry date.

Can anyone put me out of my misery now and tell me if human biology is acceptable? Obviously I'll phone them tomorrow to confirm but it'd be nice to have an indication :smile:

Human biology is fine (and infinitely more interesting!). They are interchangeable to most universities.
Reply 9
Human biology is fine (and infinitely more interesting!). They are interchangeable to most universities.

Reply 10
How well are the english represented at the uni??
Reply 11
Original post by shlonger
How well are the english represented at the uni??

They are fairly well represented, and English students are interviewed and offered places in the same manner as Scottish students.

To reiterate a point that is made every year, Scottish universities are not biased in favour of Scottish students. However some universities in the UK offer points to grades already achieved as opposed to predicted results. In Scotland, the qualifying exams for medicine are sat in the fifth year of high school, and students apply in their sixth year, which gives them a small advantage at SOME medical schools in Scotland, ie Edinburgh, but this is not the case at Glasgow. Predicted and actual results are treated in the same manner.
Reply 12
Okay, i have been looking at Glasgow,Edinburgh and St Andrews but only want to apply to two of these so i can apply to two in England aswell (im english)!! How much of a disadvantage do you think i will be under if i applied to Edinburgh??
Reply 13
Original post by shlonger
Okay, i have been looking at Glasgow,Edinburgh and St Andrews but only want to apply to two of these so i can apply to two in England aswell (im english)!! How much of a disadvantage do you think i will be under if i applied to Edinburgh??

If you have yet to receive your results for the qualifying exams and are applying with predicted grades, I think you miss out on 1 point. You'll have to ask someone there though :smile:
If you have yet to receive your results for the qualifying exams and are applying with predicted grades, I think you miss out on 1 point. You'll have to ask someone there though :smile:

So is that good for me then? I'm a reapplicant :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Well i already have my as results but yes i will be applying on the basis of predicted a2 grades! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by KeepMovingForward
So is that good for me then? I'm a reapplicant :s-smilie:

Not for Glasgow, sorry. Still, it means your offer will be unconditional!
Not for Glasgow, sorry. Still, it means your offer will be unconditional!

Fair enough, yeah cant wait :biggrin:
Reply 18
does anyone know roughly what the ukcat cut-off this year is? above 670? any ideas?
Reply 19
The lowest score with an offer from the 2012 stalking page is 512.5 and I'm pretty sure he was part of a widening access scheme. However, people were interviewed at just above that so I don't know.

The problem is that Glasgow interviews the top 800 applicants ranked by ukcat score (aftering deselecting everyone without the grades) so only those with higher ukcat scores get interviewed. However, last year saw a massive drop in applicants and then they didn't release the ukcat score.

My advice: if you have a high score, great. If you don't, I wouldn't worry. 650+, I think, are comfortable scores.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending