The Student Room Group

How do you get an A* at A-Level?

Scroll to see replies

work consistently throughout the year, esp at A2. A revision timetable would be good
Original post by LGrosvenor101
I am honestly not talking bull. and I am sorry if I did mean to seem cocky :s-smilie: You need 80% overall to get an A, as well as 90+% in your A2 units. My brother got a top C in his AS History, and must have got pretty much 100% UMS needed for an A*.

I'm sorry if I am sounding cocky :s-smilie: I am just stating. I mentioned earlier how AS's are more about predicting A*s and general predicted grades, sure, they give you a good head start for A2 modules, but A2 modules are the only modules that actually count towards the A* :/

Again, your talking rubbish. Even with 100% at A2 you need a B at AS for A* overall. Stop talking bull.
Original post by vedderfan94
Again, your talking rubbish. Even with 100% at A2 you need a B at AS for A* overall. Stop talking bull.

I am being truthfully honest, I am not talking bull. Say my brother got 65% at AS and 95% at A2, thats an average of 80% which is an A, whilst still having the 90%+ needed in the A2 modules for the A*. I swear on my life that I am not lying, or trolling or whatever you want to call it. :/ I'm sorry for being confusing, but I am not lying.
Original post by vedderfan94

No you don't.

AS: 60% + 60% = 60% average
A2: 100% + 100% = 100% average

overall average = 80%, A2 average = 100%.

Which fits the requirements of 90%+ at A2 and 80% overall.

If you get high Cs at AS in terms of the A* you're pretty much in the position you would be if you got high As at AS. You'd need to be a couple of points over 90%, rather than at 90%. It's not exactly a huge stretch of the imagination to think that someone managed it.
Reply 64
Original post by EmmaJane_
Any tips would be appreciated.
I'm currently only doing AS, but I need an A* in either Maths or Physics at A2.
Thanks.

EDIT: What about physics? How easy is it to get A* in that?

. By doing lots and lots of past papers (especially for physics)
. Learning some mark scheme answers and learn how the examining board like you to answer the questions
. Go through your textbook and notes and learn literally everything

Well that what I'm doing :rolleyes:
Reply 65
Original post by coolcat2727
How is that possible?

If you get 60 UMS (C grade) in AS and 100 UMS in A2 then you can still can an A*.

The overall two UMS must average 80, with the second one scoring a minimum 90 UMS for an A*.

(60+100)/2 = 80 UMS
Reply 66
Thank you :smile:
I'm hoping to apply for either physics or physics w/ astrophysics at Manchester Uni, which requires A*AA to include physics and maths.
Other universities offer physics with lower entry requirements (AAB) but I'm absolutely dying to go to Manchester!

In that case, an A* in physics will be preferable to any admissions tutor.

It's worth applying for the MPhys rather than the Bsc.
Original post by LGrosvenor101
I'm sorry, I must have misread his comment, as you needed 80% in AS and A2 separately. I am sorry for misunderstanding what he said :/.

It's okay, sorry for being harsh about it. :smile:
Original post by Ras17
If you get 60 UMS (C grade) in AS and 100 UMS in A2 then you can still can an A*.

The overall two UMS must average 80, with the second one scoring a minimum 90 UMS for an A*.

(60+100)/2 = 80 UMS

Thankyou...:smile: That was easy to understand as well...Hard to get that though...because you will literally need full marks...:frown:
Reply 69
Original post by Dr A
In that case, an A* in physics will be preferable to any admissions tutor.

It's worth applying for the MPhys rather than the Bsc.

Thank you, out of curiosity why is MPhys better than Bsc?
Reply 70
Thank you, out of curiosity why is MPhys better than Bsc?

You'll get everything at once with the integrated masters as it is obviously a higher qualification and you will have the opportunity to study your chosen subject in greater depth.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Luffy.
If you are born brilliant than work hard so you can get that much but if you are born dumb than its impossible for you.

Hahaha ... Are you taking the piss? :rolleyes:
Original post by Africananimal
Well, most people say you need to get an A at AS level to then get an A* at alevel, but my friend got a B at AS level english and then got A* at alevel...so it is still possible, you just need to get at least 80% in both papers in A level...and also work hard!!:smile: good luck!:smile:

This.
Thanks.

Do lots of past papers. Do all of them in fact. Srs.
Reply 74
Original post by GameGod
Hahaha ... Are you taking the piss? :rolleyes:

I am telling the truth
Reply 75
Hi, does anyone know if you can still achieve an A* if you resit an A2 module? A reply would be much appreciated please!
Reply 76
To the above poster I cba to quote you but yeah you can, I know of somebody re-sitting there C3 in june to try and meet there offer that requires an A*.

Getting an A* from what I gather is a fairly difficult task, getting an A is only 80% so there is quite alot of margin for error but to get 90% you have to make very few mistakes :smile:.
Reply 77
Thanks.

A close friend of mine isnt naturally a genuis, managed to get 3 A* in A level physics chemistry and biology.
He worked UNBELIEVABLY hard, working in every study period at 6th form, and also revising until about 9pm everynight, if not more.
You have to REALLY want it!!!
If you want it, GO FOR IT!! just remember, im not just saying this, you have to work SOSO hard.
It would be worth not having a life for two odd months before the exams to come out with 3 A*'s though, i cant even imagine it!! :smile:
Reply 78
Just to help people who have not understood how to get an A* at A level yet. You need 480/600 UMS (most courses out of 600) across both AS and A2. AND you need to get (lets say a 600 UMS course) 270/300 UMS across all (apart from maths) A2 modules.
Original post by Luffy.
If you are born brilliant than work hard so you can get that much but if you are born dumb than its impossible for you.

Firstly NO one is born clever or dumb and secondly what kind of advice are you giving think before writing

Quick Reply

Latest