The Student Room Group

Are parents generally more protective of daughters than sons?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Tell me more about how much of a rebel you are.

Says the guy that told me to shut up on an Internet forum...

You started it, so don't act patronising.
You're just showing how much of a nonce you really are.
Reply 21
Original post by Mehmoodd
Yeah, well if you're Asian, daughters are protected alot more.

I'd assume the same in british families tbh, girls be cute init :colondollar:

I dont understand what they actually have to be protected from, that their male counterparts do not?

Aren't they meant to be our equals?
Yeah that's like my dad lol but I think mothers are more likely to treat sons equally from my experience at least :cool:
Reply 23
Original post by Sternumator
My parents are more protective of my sisters. I think as a parent I would be as well, I don't mean to sound like a chav but I think boys have a better idea of what goes on in the street than girls, a lot of girls are naive and can't read people as well.

That's not true, studies show that women are far better at reading facial expressions and body language than men. Apparently women can detect on average 5 different moods from a person's facial expression whereas men can only detect 3.

Since when have girls been naive to a greater extent than boys? People are more protective of daughters because generally men have a better chance of escaping from a sticky situation.
In my family it was the opposite...
Original post by effofex
I dont understand what they actually have to be protected from, that their male counterparts do not?

Well for one they're physically weaker than males so that's a massive factor :wink:
Reply 26
probably, it depends on the parents and what the children are like
Reply 27
Original post by effofex

Well most Asian parents are dotey anyway. So even their sons aren't allowed to have as much freedom as they like.

I don't think it's about being treated unequally, they just care about our safety more.
Rapes and attacks occur at night, so it's kinda logical that they'd want us home, safe and sound.

Granted yes, some differences in treatment between genders is massive and therefore wrong. Parents shouldn't be that bad. Ie. A son that goes away for days without telling anyone as opposed to a daughter who gets grilled for coming home from a meal at 10pm.
Yes yes yes yes.

I am 18 now and my brother is 11 and lately I am feeling the nostalgic effects of this.
Yeah I'd say this is true...in my family it is anyway. When I was around 8, I wanted to walk to the shops with my friends who lived in my street, but my mum wouldn't let me and wanted me to stay in thr street. However, when my brother was of similar age, he was allowed to leave the street and go to the woods/park, but even though it was only a few minutes away I was never allowed. When he was like 9 or 10, my mum let him go to the shops with his friends! As my brother got older (he's 15 now) he was always allowed much more independance than me, but I don't know if that was because I was a girl or the oldest. :dontknow:

My dad is very overprotective of us both, although more me as well. When I was 16, my auntie wanted to go out with my mum for a few drinks and asked if I would "babysit" my 14 year old cousin (basically we watched tv) until the came in about 12/1am. My dad was completely against it and wanted to pick me up at 10pm so we eventually stopped telling him! :p:
Reply 30
Original post by Multitalented me
Well for one they're physically weaker than males so that's a massive factor :wink:

Some males are physically weaker than other males though. There is a continuum within the sexes as well. But it doesn't necessarily mean that some males are thus mollycoddled/overly protected as a result.

Also, surprisingly men (the apparently physicall stronger gender) are more likely to be victims of physical violence.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
In my experience, yes. It may have something to do with the fact that I am also the eldest.
For example, I wasn't allowed a laptop until I was 15 because my parents were suspicious about the Internet. Once I got one and thy realised it wasn't that bad, my brother was allowed one aged 11..

This. Exactly this.

Saying that, I'm 22 and my dad still transfers 'pocket money' into my bank account every month (the same amount he gives my little brother), which is quite sweet. :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by Mehmoodd
Well most Asian parents are dotey anyway. So even their sons aren't allowed to have as much freedom as they like.

I don't think it's about being treated unequally, they just care about our safety more.
Rapes and attacks occur at night, so it's kinda logical that they'd want us home, safe and sound.

Granted yes, some differences in treatment between genders is massive and therefore wrong. Parents shouldn't be that bad. Ie. A son that goes away for days without telling anyone as opposed to a daughter who gets grilled for coming home from a meal at 10pm.

Are you sure you are not referring specifically to British Asians here?

I'm am South Asian - and most of my South Asian friends have very little contact with their parents. Indeed most of them live in separate countries from them. Our parents have virtually on influence on our lifestyles (with regards to food choices, living choices, drug choices, career choices, automobile choices, clothing choices), mainly because they are really far away.

Aren't most rape victims abused by someone who is known to them, usually in a private place? I doubt that it happens in public at night very much - especiallly since there is lots of CCTV.
Original post by Sniggey
That's not true, studies show that women are far better at reading facial expressions and body language than men. Apparently women can detect on average 5 different moods from a person's facial expression whereas men can only detect 3.

Since when have girls been naive to a greater extent than boys? People are more protective of daughters because generally men have a better chance of escaping from a sticky situation.

I am not talking generally. I just mean boys learn before girls that people try to **** you over and are able to recognise those situations better. Boys are more likely to think about peoples intentions whereas a lot of teenage girls are easily fooled. My mum told me that is why she is more protective of my sisters and I do think it applies generally. A lot of it is because boys are used to dealing with males, we have grown up with boys, some of who arent very nice, we have fought in the playground etc and we better understand males because we are one. On the other hand, when girls reach 14 or 15 they have had much less contact with males and the males they have dealt with are nice to them because they are girls. If someone does something bad to you when you are out and about they are more than likely going to be male. Boys know there are males who are like that and are more prepared to deal with it but often girls do not expect it.
Original post by Multitalented me
If you're a parent is this true? If you were a parent would you be more protective of a daughter than a son or would you protect them equally?

Obviously. Girls are weaker and are no good at defending themselves plus they can also be very stupid and put themselves in stupid situations where they can easily be raped.

Girls need to be more assertive and judge situations better. One of my female friends tried to go home with some guy before and he had a criminal record for rape and got out like 2 months ago and she was gonna go home with him so I had to beat him up. ****ing sickens me how stupid some girls can be. Never go home with a stranger, if you do, you deserve what comes to you for being so stupid.
I'd say yes - my mum has always said that whilst she doesn't mind me and my brothers staying out late, she'd be way more strict if she had a daughter :rolleyes:
I think it's like that in most families.
My dad is definitely more protective of me and my sister than my brother even though we're much older & mature (brother's 14 whereas I'm 17 and my sister's 20).
My mum's more protective of my brother though because he's the youngest (and he's a mummys boy and acts like a girl XD)
Reply 37
yes as women naturally are more likely to be taken advantage of than men, so its in the interest of your parents to look after their daughters instinctively more than their sons. i mean your son isnt vulnerable of being raped by a woman is he?
Original post by LeaX
It's like that in my family. My brother is 14 and can go out and do what he likes. I'm 17 and only recently have I been able to go on a train to a town like 15 minutes away.

Me and my brother are the same ages. He was allowed to go into town alone from a much younger age than I was. Its so annoying.
Reply 39
Original post by Sternumator
My parents are more protective of my sisters. I think as a parent I would be as well, I don't mean to sound like a chav but I think boys have a better idea of what goes on in the street than girls, a lot of girls are naive and can't read people as well.

What are you talking about? Physically (in the brain) girls are actually biologically better at reading emotion, intention etc in other people.
Also from my experiences of being out with my guy and girl mates, ive seen that girls seem to be better at realising dangerous places to be, situations they dont want to be in. They also, myself included seem to be far better at telling when there is someone down an alley or in a field and our group should avoid it.

As for me and my brother, my brother is far far more looked after then me,i think probably because hes the youngest and partly because of our personalities.
I was always very stubborn, very outgoing, always wanted to go out and do stuff. My parents had a hell of a time keeping track of where i was and what i was doing so they let me do my own thing, but my brother is less like that so they look after him and are more protective of him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending