The Student Room Group

OCR ADVANCING PHYSICS B G494 EXAM MONDAY 18th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anthony Soprano
YES! Practically same answers throughout, numerical answers at least.

For 13b) you make the denominators common for kinetic energy and then add the numerators together, GmM - 2GmM = -GmM or something like that.

Frequency i either go 3.00 or 3.50, not sure, probably rounding somewhere.

And for question 5 i put both smaller change in T and larger initial N.

Actually for the fridge one I also got 8.6x10^24 not 5.7, and when i subbed it back into the equation, p1v1/t1 = 79.9 and p2v2/t2= 80, which works, not sure about the 5.7 you got :/

It asked to show that the number of particles was roughly 6x10^24, and I used the values of:
p = 1x10^5, v = 0.23, k =1.4x10^-23 and T = 288? :s-smilie:
Original post by Oromis263
It asked to show that the number of particles was roughly 6x10^24, and I used the values of:
p = 1x10^5, v = 0.23, k =1.4x10^-23 and T = 288? :s-smilie:

Ohhhh yeah yeah I got the same value exactly, I mixed up reading the markscheme, i was thinking of d) Calculate the new pressure, 8.8x10^4 Pa for some reason, probably because thats where i got an 8.something answer :smile:

Same answers throughout then :rolleyes:
Original post by Anthony Soprano
Ohhhh yeah yeah I got the same value exactly, I mixed up reading the markscheme, i was thinking of d) Calculate the new pressure, 8.8x10^4 Pa for some reason, probably because thats where i got an 8.something answer :smile:

Same answers throughout then :rolleyes:

Cool. :smile: Really hoping for a high mark on this to go with my coursework, so I can try even out my G495 if it actually went worse than I feel it went. :smile:
What did you guys get for your cswk?

I got 20 on the practical and 9 on the essay, but I am worried that the exam board might lower it.
Original post by EricEdwardSelvaraj
What did you guys get for your cswk?

I got 20 on the practical and 9 on the essay, but I am worried that the exam board might lower it.

The same, hoping they moderate my essay up to a 10, my teacher docked it one because it was long (12 pages) but that was mostly bibliography and diagrams, whereas the actual body of text was under the 2000 words. My experiment report was beasty :biggrin:
The calculate epsilon question was very difficult, I don't think many candidates will have got it. I certainly didn't, but hopefully I'll get 1 or 2 method marks. In general I thought it was a relatively difficult paper, but I think I personally did well. :smile:

I think the mention of resonance was important for the question about the bike - I got f = 3.4Hz which when you think about it is about the same frequency it would be forced to vibrate at when going over bumpy ground at a reasonable speed.
(edited 11 years ago)
The same, hoping they moderate my essay up to a 10, my teacher docked it one because it was long (12 pages) but that was mostly bibliography and diagrams, whereas the actual body of text was under the 2000 words. My experiment report was beasty :biggrin:

They won't do it individually though. It's either all go up or all come down.
Original post by EricEdwardSelvaraj
They won't do it individually though. It's either all go up or all come down.

Well that sucks, luckily my teacher is very harsh (I would say). :smile: Perhaps I'll get lucky :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lukas1051
The calculate epsilon question was very difficult, I don't think many candidates will have got it. I certainly didn't, but hopefully I'll get 1 or 2 method marks. In general I thought it was a relatively difficult paper, but I think I personally did well. :smile:

I think the mention of resonance was important for the question about the bike - I got f = 3.4Hz which when you think about it is about the same frequency it would be forced to vibrate at when going over bumpy ground at a reasonable speed.

I considered that as I walked out. I am pretty sure I got all the other technical terms in, but when I considered 3.4Hz I would agree that that is roughly the frequency at which you would bounce on a bumpy track. :smile:

I would agree, but would hazard a guess that the boundaries will be similar to the January paper so roughly:

54 - 100%
49 - A*
44 - A
39 - B
35 - C
31 - D
27 - E

Perhaps? :smile:
I considered that as I walked out. I am pretty sure I got all the other technical terms in, but when I considered 3.4Hz I would agree that that is roughly the frequency at which you would bounce on a bumpy track. :smile:

I would agree, but would hazard a guess that the boundaries will be similar to the January paper so roughly:

54 - 100%
49 - A*
44 - A
39 - B
35 - C
31 - D
27 - E

I mentioned resonance, but I did not link it in with the calculated value i.e. 3.4 Hz, do you think it was necessary to mention that?
Reply 190

54 - 100%
49 - A*
44 - A
39 - B
35 - C
31 - D
27 - E

What is the maximum raw mark you can get in this paper?

54 - 100%
49 - A*
44 - A
39 - B
35 - C
31 - D
27 - E

Yeah those sound about right to me.
Original post by deejayy
What is the maximum raw mark you can get in this paper?

60. The boundaries I posted are similar to the ones in January, and I'd say the papers were of roughly the same difficulty. Usually they are lower, last June had boundaries of 50 - 100%, 45 - A*, 40 - A, then 35 31, 27, 23 for B C D E respectively. :smile:
For the question about the activation energy 'epsilon' in the fridge, was there any other way of doing it without having to solve two rather daunting simultaneous equations? I ended up dividing two equations and using Some indices work on the exponentials. It was however only 3 marks and uses a level of maths that some candidates won't have so what was the easier way? Unless I did it completely wrong :colondollar:? (I got 1.6x10^-19 (or-18) or something by the way)
for the conservation of momentum question did everyone get the velocity to be negative? (Going left after the collision)
Original post by luketaylor777
for the conservation of momentum question did everyone get the velocity to be negative? (Going left after the collision)

Yup. Can't remember the number, -0.57 maybe(?), but I remember having -311 in there somewhere...
Reply 196
Original post by jackofwack
For the question about the activation energy 'epsilon' in the fridge, was there any other way of doing it without having to solve two rather daunting simultaneous equations? I ended up dividing two equations and using Some indices work on the exponentials. It was however only 3 marks and uses a level of maths that some candidates won't have so what was the easier way? Unless I did it completely wrong :colondollar:? (I got 1.6x10^-19 (or-18) or something by the way)

I ended up with 1.609x10^-19 unrounded answer.

You had to re-arrange to eliminate C. A question like this came up in Core 4 for AQA and it was worth four marks so I don't think it's fair that it's three marks for the exact same method in Physics, ah well.

So you have;

I'll put x=e/kt just for ease of writing.

500=Ce^x1
2=Ce^x2

2e^x1=500e^x2

250=e^x1/e^x2

ln250=ln((e^x1/e^x2))

ln250 = lne^x1 - lne^x2

ln250 = x1 - x2

ln250 = epsilon(1/k(temperature for 500)-1/k(temperature for 2)
Reply 197
Original post by jackofwack

If you mean saying that 2= e^-epsilon/288k and 500=e^-epsilon/253k and then dividing to get 0.004=e^(epslion/k (1/288 - 1/253)), then solving that by taking the natural log of both sides, then I'm pretty sure that's a correct method.
That's the way I did it, and I think that's the right answer. I think it's GCSE-level maths, not A-Level (except perhaps the fact that the base of the powers is 'e' and you have to take logs, which is in the physics course), so I'm not sure there's an easier method.
Original post by Yarpie
I ended up with 1.609x10^-19 unrounded answer.

You had to re-arrange to eliminate C. A question like this came up in Core 4 for AQA and it was worth four marks so I don't think it's fair that it's three marks for the exact same method in Physics, ah well.

So you have;

I'll put x=e/kt just for ease of writing.

500=Ce^x1
2=Ce^x2

2e^x1=500e^x2

250=e^x1/e^x2

ln250=ln((e^x1/e^x2))

ln250 = lne^x1 - lne^x2

ln250 = x1 - x2

ln250 = epsilon(1/k(temperature for 500)-1/k(temperature for 2)

I got to the same final stage apart from I had two equations from the two conditions set (i.e temperatures) but to eliminate 'C' I divided them instead. Seems we both got to the same answer anyways though :smile:
Reply 199
Was stressing about the graph on the first page, couldn't decide between A and B! :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending