The Student Room Group

Vue job interview

Hi,
I have a job interview at Vue cinema tomorrow at 10 am and I was wondering if anyone could give me some general advice on job interviews, preferably related to the cinema industry. What type of questions should I expect, how can I prepare myself effectively etc. It's my first job interview and I'd greatly appreciate any help/advice.
Thanks in advance!
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*watches*

Can you please post what they asked later and whether you got the job... i'm looking for something student-y / part-time.

Thanks. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
General interview advice, wikipedia info about the company and use that to your advantage, look up if they say what the are looking for in employees on their website, be on time and dress smart but don't go overboard
Reply 3
I use to work for Empire but no idea about Vue (and was offered a job at Odeon but the training day conflicted with something I'd planned six months before). Both we're reasonably informal however do make sure you dress smart, as in don't wear jeans. Look smart and you'll give the impression you're serious but I wouldn't say full blown suit, bit over board. *They might give you a few scenarios *as in how would you react in this situation, what would you do if.. They may ask you what your favorite film is and why. It's all pretty straight forward. Research the company, remember a few key facts (maybe some stats.)*

Working in a cinema is a laugh till you are literally floating you are movng so fast serving people and stocking up at the same time and collecting abandoned nappies from screens...

Good luck!
Reply 4
I GOT THE JOB!! :smile: wooooooooo
Reply 5
I have the interview tomorrow at 2:30...any tips? Congrats halfblood007...what did the interview involve? I'm determined to get this job as it would be perfect!
Reply 6
oreocookies
I have the interview tomorrow at 2:30...any tips? Congrats halfblood007...what did the interview involve? I'm determined to get this job as it would be perfect!

It was fairly informal, so there's no need to get worried. A lot of questions involving team work, times when you worked in a team, what you like about working in a team, what you don't like about working in a team etc. WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK HERE? That's the big one, just say things like your interested in providing high quality customer service (that's what I said anyway), and elaborate by listing your attributes that would be suited to the job, friendly, confident etc. Just relax, be positive, smile and answer calmly and confidently and you'll be fine! Good luck!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Thankyou! :smile: Yeah I figured team work was going to be up there in importance, which is good cos I have LOADS of experience!

Why do you want to work there always seems a simple question, but then there's that temptation of giving the generic answer of "I love films" ... any suggestions on how to stand out?
Reply 8
oreocookies
Thankyou! :smile: Yeah I figured team work was going to be up there in importance, which is good cos I have LOADS of experience!

Why do you want to work there always seems a simple question, but then there's that temptation of giving the generic answer of "I love films" ... any suggestions on how to stand out?

Just try to be really positive and friendly, but make sure you don't sound too arrogant either...you really should be fine. Watch out for a last minute question (usually after the interview), mine was "What would you do if you were employed and you noticed that things weren't being done the way they should be?". I just said that I would talk to my supervisor...I was really taken aback by the question. Then again you might not get that question, I guess it differs between interviewers. Good luck!!
Reply 9
Fingers crossed! :smile:

Ah I'll keep a look out for that - it's difficult as I know every cinema is different, so unless your interview was at Portsmouth, then I imagine mine will be a little different :smile:

Still, only 2 and half hours until the interview, so really I should be trying my best not to panic about the unknown!
Interview went fairly well yesterday, apparently I was the first to be interviewed which always worries me a bit! Nevermind!

Apparently I won't hear back for another few WEEKS! I'm going to be squirming until then because I want the job so bad!
I got the job :smile:
Reply 12
Just wondered what benefits you get as a team member, free tickets? I am thinking about applying
Reply 13
Original post by oreocookies
I got the job :smile:

Just saw this, congrats!!
Reply 14
Original post by chiliman14
Just wondered what benefits you get as a team member, free tickets? I am thinking about applying

You get unlimited amount of free tickets for yourself and staff discounts at popcorn/drinks etc. and 2 tickets for friends and family a week.
Reply 15
Original post by halfblood007
I GOT THE JOB!! :smile: wooooooooo

congrads :biggrin:
Reply 16
Hello all ive been trying to get a job with Vue for about 2 years now, and cant manage to get through the application process i have got prevous experience in work working for odeon cinemas and ive got all the experince needed to do the job but when they get bk to me they always saying i have got the relevent experience for the job can anyone help me. is it something im saying or not saying
Reply 17
hello people i got an interview tomoz at 3pm :smile: but im worried abt what they are going to ask me . . what is the main point i need to research and look into? i really need this to go successful lol . . many thnx . and congrats to all the people who got the job you legends
Reply 18
I applied a while ago, closure date was the 20th September. I found out on the 26th that I had been accepted for an interview, received the interview the following day and have been recently told that I got the job :smile:

Unfortunately as I'm still in full-time education (College) my experience was limited, my answers mainly revolved around work experience I undertook in 2009 and the kind of things I do at college.

My first question was simply "Why Vue?", followed by some questions about times I've:
- Had two tasks to complete at once
- Had bad customer service (this confused by but I stated that I don't recall a time of receiving bad customer service, followed by what I saw as bad customer service. By doing this I covered myself and infact could have had a positive effect).
- Worked in a team

They may also ask you about the most recent film you saw, obviously if you've said that you're passionate about film then state you haven't seen a film in months it'll probably have a negative effect, I spoke about the Inbetweeners movie that came out then they asked why I liked it.

Good luck to anyone applying!
Reply 19
Original post by Ayers
I applied a while ago, closure date was the 20th September. I found out on the 26th that I had been accepted for an interview, received the interview the following day and have been recently told that I got the job :smile:

Unfortunately as I'm still in full-time education (College) my experience was limited, my answers mainly revolved around work experience I undertook in 2009 and the kind of things I do at college.

My first question was simply "Why Vue?", followed by some questions about times I've:
- Had two tasks to complete at once
- Had bad customer service (this confused by but I stated that I don't recall a time of receiving bad customer service, followed by what I saw as bad customer service. By doing this I covered myself and infact could have had a positive effect).
- Worked in a team

They may also ask you about the most recent film you saw, obviously if you've said that you're passionate about film then state you haven't seen a film in months it'll probably have a negative effect, I spoke about the Inbetweeners movie that came out then they asked why I liked it.

Good luck to anyone applying!

Hello. I have recently been rejected from them!!!! :frown: May I ask you how you ensured your application was filled to your advantage?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending