The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Roobsa
helmets.

It depends on the company you buy it from and how you store it.

An Arai that's kept in perfect condiiton will be fine after 5 years but a cheaper helmet kept in hot places and direct sunlight etc could be useless after only 1 year...

Also, with an Arai(and probably other good makes as well) if you do drop it you can send it back to them and they'll check free of charge whether it's still safe or not. When i crashed the whole front of the helmet was smashed so i didn't bother... :colondollar:
Original post by Boristhethird

you'd know about that :teehee:

I haven't destroyed that many helmets in my years, a few not not many...
Or was that joke supposed to be about me adding small tiny bits to something?:confused:
bastard cbf failed its MOT on warped rear disc from where it hit something on its way through the hedge. ****sake!
Original post by MHorman

I haven't destroyed that many helmets in my years, a few not not many...
Or was that joke supposed to be about me adding small tiny bits to something?:confused:

its about your experience with small things :sexface:

Original post by crazyjoyce
bastard cbf failed its MOT on warped rear disc from where it hit something on its way through the hedge. ****sake!

whoopsie.
you know you can still ride it till the old mot runs out.
Reply 63
Just had a phone call from the place I bought the intruder from...
They're fitting a new battery and it'll be ready to pick up tommorow. Suppose I'd better sort the insurance then!!!

-JC.
yeah, runs out on friday and i've ordered one which will be here tomorow!
Reply 65
you know you can still ride it till the old mot runs out.

Don't think i'd chance it.
Your tyres and brakes are your life on any vehicle!
its the rear brake which i never use anyway!
Original post by JC.
Don't think i'd chance it.
Your tyres and brakes are your life on any vehicle!

the rear brake isn't used too much by most bikers, and being warped doesn't mean the brake wont work.
Reply 68
Original post by Chilledice
:ditto: some days I consider learning how to do everything, but it's not worth the bikes that I'll **** up in the process :smile:

:borat:

MCN's 33bhp test

Bit of a crap review IMO. Who the hell will want to stick with their 125 after passing a test which legitamately allows them to get a bigger bike?! Knew they'd have one of the 250s involved though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by R-KAM
You said you loved me anyway!? :biggrin:

How will we cope! I'll take Loz then. Does she have to approve or are you able to justy give her away as you please? :teeth:

My theory test is booked for 12th of July :h:

:biggrin: she's not here to object so you can have her. Well there was that/

i was told every 2 years, unless dropped/crashed

though i think different companies say different things.
caberg and HJC say 2 years, i thin Arai and shoei say 5 years.
you'd know about that :teehee:

My nuvo and the one beginning with t were also 5 years. Although it does depend on use. daily use and you'll want to replace it sooner.

Original post by LandyJon
I need a new bolt for my seat as it's gone AWOL in the last couple of days. Local bike shop might have one that I can get today. Booking C+S in for Tuesday next week so I'll try and get the bolts at the same time

bolts holding seat on..... ummmm.... if you don't find some i'll bring a couple down, my seat is no longer fixed as i get fed up removing fairing

Of course I could. I can get out a Haynes and bosh it out myself but as it happens, I'd rather pay a good, reputable mechanic who I know will keep her in tip top condition everytime than run the risk of ****ing something up.

Get a rear paddock and i'll come show you! chain is easy

Original post by crazyjoyce

After all you've done to the poor thing, and its only failed on that!

and you found us :biggrin:

its about your experience with small things :sexface:

:lol:

Original post by JC.
Just had a phone call from the place I bought the intruder from...
They're fitting a new battery and it'll be ready to pick up tommorow. Suppose I'd better sort the insurance then!!!

-JC.

:woo:

the rear brake isn't used too much by most bikers, and being warped doesn't mean the brake wont work.

apart from me... i love my rear brake.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Bathwiggle
:biggrin: she's not here to object so you can have her. Well there was that/

Excellent. She'll have a nice surprise when she next comes in here :colone:

That's my course booked and paid for! :biggrin:

25th to the 29th of July :woo:
Reply 71
Original post by Bathwiggle
bolts holding seat on..... ummmm.... if you don't find some i'll bring a couple down, my seat is no longer fixed as i get fed up removing fairing.

Get a rear paddock and i'll come show you! chain is easy

It's alright, I got 4 of them for free! How brilliant is that? :biggrin:

It is one of the things on my list. It's a pain in the arse trying to sort the chain out on the side stand.

Original post by R-KAM
Excellent. She'll have a nice surprise when she next comes in here :colone:

Honestly lad, you couldn't have sounded more of a stalker if you tried :lol:
Reply 72

Honestly lad, you couldn't have sounded more of a stalker if you tried :lol:

I reckon I probably could, so what's your point? :holmes:

MCN's 33bhp test

Bit of a crap review IMO. Who the hell will want to stick with their 125 after passing a test which legitamately allows them to get a bigger bike?! Knew they'd have one of the 250s involved though.

look like a bunch of scruffy inbreads, standard MCN poo review!

MCN's 33bhp test

so they look at 33bhp bikes, and get a 125, 250, and 2 restricted 600s.
and leave out the ninja.

and what are they doing with the gixxer, that cant be a good bike for newbies
so they look at 33bhp bikes, and get a 125, 250, and 2 restricted 600s.
and leave out the ninja.

and what are they doing with the gixxer, that cant be a good bike for newbies

probably all they could scrounge from local dealers or had in the fleet already!

MCN's 33bhp test

God that video is terrible...

If anyone here buys MCN still maybe the article/story that will be written about it will be a lot better?

I always find MCN just absolutely fail at making videos. I mean it's better than nothing but a well written chunk of the story on their site would be a lot nicer...
Hiya,
Just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice - been on the back of a bike three times now (ninja - i dont know the spec - its green :rolleyes: ) and am petrified of coming off. I'm not INTO bikes cos i think they're dangerous (last time i got on my brothers trial bike i went straight through the hedge...got the scars to prove it:no:...) but my family do it so i wanna come along for the ride. Obviously i wear leathers and a helmet etc...just wanted some reassurance maybe that i'm not gonna die!?

On corners i just put my head on the side were turning into - ie when we turn left i look to the left of the rider etc - is there anything i can do to make myself a better passenger and make the journey safer? I can't help but look at the ground and **** myself thinking about falling face first at 120.
In the car i love speed - and i really want to be able to relax and enjoy it just as much - i just can't help but think how easy it is for someone to pull out or for us to skid...

Sorry if this is a bit of an irrelevant post! Any advice would be great x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Nice'n'Easy
Hiya,
Just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice - been on the back of a bike three times now (ninja - i dont know the spec - its green :rolleyes: ) and am petrified of coming off. I'm not INTO bikes cos i think they're dangerous (last time i got on my brothers trial bike i went straight through the hedge...got the scars to prove it:no:...) but my family do it so i wanna come along for the ride. Obviously i wear leathers and a helmet etc...just wanted some reassurance maybe that i'm not gonna die!?

On corners i just put my head on the side were turning into - ie when we turn left i look to the left of the rider etc - is there anything i can do to make myself a better passenger and make the journey safer? I can't help but look at the ground and **** myself thinking about falling face first at 120.
In the car i love speed - and i really want to be able to relax and enjoy it just as much - i just can't help but think how easy it is for someone to pull out or for us to skid...

your wearing leathers, that will save your skin, the armour in this will save your bones.

i think it also come with practice, when my dad first got his bike, i refused to go on the back - far too scared.
but after i had been on it a few times, was loving in, and ended up getting my own bike (now going on the back is boring :rolleyes:).
so i think just practice and experience will make it more enjoyable, also try asking the rider to ride less aggressively (so less acceleration, speed, etc)
Reply 79
Original post by Nice'n'Easy
Hiya,

Stop right there. Bike AREN'T dangerous. Its the soft squishy bit between the handle bars and the seat that is the problem.

Don't think about the speed, put some head phones in your helmet, listen to some music you like and watch the world go past.

I hate being pillion, its not me at all, i much rather the control. It might be worth going on to www.geton.co.uk and seeing it there is any free hour trials left. Just so you can realise you don't have to be doing 120 all the time. Trials bikes are different to sports bikes.

Its not easy to skid, trust me, i fail at skidding regularly, I've done er 40,000 miles on the bike, and not lost it in a skid. For someone to pull out infront of you, the rider should be paying enough attention to avoid it, you can predict when they are going to do it and take steps so you don't hit them.

Who do you go on the back of the bike with, as its sounds like you don't trust their riding. is there someone else you can try pillioning with?

The best way to be a good pillion is to relax, remember the rider is in control, and if you are scared, ask them to stop doing what scared you.

Latest

Trending

Trending