The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

As long as your the lesson targets those who it is aimed at 11-14 then should be fine, but then you have take into account the fact that within any learning environment their will be a range of abilities. Id check the current curriculum see what is on there for how in depth you need to be. As you have to think that you have extensive knowledge within the subject of maths, but those your going to be teaching will be miles behind where your upto.

There is actual info reguarding the competencies on the site, and more than likely some tips there too if your struggling with anything. Its your AC this week aint it?
Oh and Doll if you need any competencies based help feel free to message me, bounce some ideas around. Ive been to plenty interviews and never yet been turned down for the job =] beaten 500 graduates to 5 jobs in my region for one position so I cant be too bad at answering questions hehe although that could be due to my natural sales person inside :P
Reply 542
Hi, I haven't posted here before but just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's given advice in this thread, as I had a TF assessment centre yesterday and got a conditional offer today :smile: I'd be happy to help anyone still going through the process so message me if this applies to you!
Reply 543
Hi everyone,
this is my very first post :smile: I have applied for teach first and will be attending an assessment centre in April as i am currently studying abroad. I was hoping that those who have been through the process and can offer me any help/advice could msg me. I really want this. I have had quite a few rejections recently so my confidence is pretty low at the moment but I know I can do this... any help with preparations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply 544
Just wanted to say, that I got my feedback from my AC yesterday and the points they came up with was:-
Lesson - I used the students names and took the time to explain to the less able student however, I didn't built up a strong enough repore up the stduents in the seven mins we had ? and I didnt have a student activity, but I did have one and have a cool real life question for them to do, but didnt have time for it as I had to spend my time explaining the basics to the lass able student ! In 7 mins u can only do one or the other surely ?
Interview - I didnt show that i had overcome significant adversity - How many twenty yrs old in the uk, who have come out of a good uni with a 2:1 have truly faced adversity ??? And actually the example I did show was how I had overcome the edu disadv. and worked my way up from a working class backgrd to where i am now.
Group task only prob was i didnt come up with an innvative creative idea to solve the problem - noboday did !

I'm surpsied TF accept anybody on their progr. with this sort of attitude, its a shame, because I know a few gd pple rejected for quiete minor faults which could be overcome with training. Its a shame because the ideals of TF are excelland and really needed in this country, however, Ithink their elitist attitude and arrogant pple they accept on the programme is going to stifle their growth and not allow more pple to work towards eradicating edu disadv- Which is a huge shame !
Ironically the only people I know who have been accepted r white middle class, from red brick unis ?
Reply 545
Hey, first of all, sorry you weren't accepted onto the scheme. If you still want to do it, then many people who apply second time get in. I don't think you're looking at the feedback very objectively as it's clear you're upset about not being accepted. I'd suggest you take a look at again in a couple of weeks' time. I do however take issue with many of your comments and feel I need to respond to them.
Original post by Doll Face
Just wanted to say, that I got my feedback from my AC yesterday and the points they came up with was:-
Lesson - I used the students names and took the time to explain to the less able student however, I didn't built up a strong enough repore up the stduents in the seven mins we had ? and I didnt have a student activity, but I did have one and have a cool real life question for them to do, but didnt have time for it as I had to spend my time explaining the basics to the lass able student ! In 7 mins u can only do one or the other surely ?

Did you mention all these things you wished you could have done in the post lesson evaluation? I had a lot of things I wished could have been better in my 7 minute lesson but I mentioned them all in my evaluation, in addition to what I would do next time to make it better. Could you have given the more able students the good activity you had planned whilst you explained the basics, perhaps? This would be what's expected of you in a real classroom.
R.e. the rapport thing, you were probably nervous. It's important not to let nerves show, it means you do things you're not even aware of like stop smiling and have tense body language, which can give a negative impression.

Interview - I didnt show that i had overcome significant adversity - How many twenty yrs old in the uk, who have come out of a good uni with a 2:1 have truly faced adversity ??? And actually the example I did show was how I had overcome the edu disadv. and worked my way up from a working class backgrd to where i am now.

I think you'd be surprised by the number of people who have faced significant adversity. As with all these things it's important to set things in context. And I'm sure a lot of people being interviewed also used their working class background as an example. It's important to have many different things to say for these types of questions and to just keep reeling them off.
You might also not have expressed yourself as well as you hoped!
Group task only prob was i didnt come up with an innvative creative idea to solve the problem - noboday did !

TF are assessing you as an individual, not compared to the others in your group. If nobody was innovative in your group then it's highly probable nobody got an offer!

I'm surpsied TF accept anybody on their progr. with this sort of attitude, its a shame, because I know a few gd pple rejected for quiete minor faults which could be overcome with training. Its a shame because the ideals of TF are excelland and really needed in this country, however, Ithink their elitist attitude and arrogant pple they accept on the programme is going to stifle their growth and not allow more pple to work towards eradicating edu disadv- Which is a huge shame !
Ironically the only people I know who have been accepted r white middle class, from red brick unis ?

Unfortunately here you've shown a terrible attitude. In your post you've shown an inability to objectively analyse and reflect on a siutation, which is the number 1 key skill required in teaching, not just in TF. If you'd been accepted, you'd be one of the people you're now calling arrogant...
Many people in my cohort were from white, middle class backgrounds (not that there's anything wrong with this and I don't know why you're saying it's ironic, it's not...) but there were also a load of people of all sorts of different backgrounds and ethnicities. That you've resorted to making sweeping statements like these in anger is extremely telling of the fact that you wouldn't be ready for TF right now.
Reply 546

Ironically the only people I know who have been accepted r white middle class, from red brick unis?

The vast majority of people I have met who have got on or been on the programme have been black and/or from council estates. I personally felt very much in the minority as a white middle class individual. I really don't think TF are biased in their application, and I'm sure if you asked someone on here nicely they would give you ideas of where you could have improved.
Reply 547

I got rejected and applied again and was accepted. I think the important thing is take the feedback constructively. I know it's hard when a programme like this may have been what you wanted so desperately. TF do have very fine criteria, but this is just how the recruitment process works. Regarding the interview, some of the questions are catered towards prompting you to suggest ways that you overcame obstacles and showed determination and perseverance. The group task - some people do not even reach a collective decision, but this does not affect who passes or not. As above poster said, an individual assessment of how you did takes place. The lesson - i was told similiar feedback, I went away, tried to improve on it through work experience/job/advice and came back. Sometimes when you have different ability students, you sort of have to juggle them together without keeping more able students waiting. I find that TF is a really ethnically diverse organisation as well (i'm an ethnic) - internally they employ many ethnic minorites too. Keep your head up, use the feedback, apply again if you wish and let us know how it goes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 548
Hello all.

I have just been asked to go to the assesment centre in London (I applied for Biology/Science).

I live in Yorkshire so its a bit of a trek to London. Can anyone recommend any good cheap hostels close to the assesment centre? Also, how long does the assesement centre session usually take?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 549
With time to calm down I have realised I have made some brash comments earlier and think they came out of anger rather than reflecting on the experience objectively.

It's just disapointing not be given the oppurtunity to begin my career in working towards to addressing edu disadv, as it is something I feel passionate about but feel ill equiped to currently do anything about it. Taking the time out to spend more time in schools and youth work is something I enjoy but find it difficult needing to financially supporting other family memebrs and myself.

But I will carry on and take on board the suggestions for improvement.

And Skrit, the day will usually last to about 4/5pm I think, i was one of the first to finish and think I finished at about 3ish, so if your in the second or third group you may finish about 4/5ish. Don't know of any hostels in the area sorry, can't help there.
Reply 550
With time to calm down I have realised I have made some brash comments earlier and think they came out of anger rather than reflecting on the experience objectively.

It's just disapointing not be given the oppurtunity to begin my career in working towards to addressing edu disadv, as it is something I feel passionate about but feel ill equiped to currently do anything about it. Taking the time out to spend more time in schools and youth work is something I enjoy but find it difficult needing to financially supporting other family memebrs and myself.

But I will carry on and take on board the suggestions for improvement.

And Skrit, the day will usually last to about 4/5pm I think, i was one of the first to finish and think I finished at about 3ish, so if your in the second or third group you may finish about 4/5ish. Don't know of any hostels in the area sorry, can't help there.

I'm glad you came back and posted this :smile:

Are you going to try again next year?
Hi everyone,

I am currently doing my SKA for MFL and I just wanted to say that I really appreciate everyone's adive and tips on here!

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 552
Original post by Becca
I'm glad you came back and posted this :smile:

Are you going to try again next year?

Maybe, but feel like I'll be waithing more than a year to start with no gurantee of getting on, seems like I a big gamble, i've already quit my job and so will be looking fo something after Sept, I've applied for a PGCE, so hopefully, if I get that i can continue with that only, its without all the support and encouragement with supporting struggling schools and raising aspirations which is the area that has attracted me to teaching in the first place and which is why i wanted to do TeachFirst.

I have a social enterprise in mind that I want to set up also, so the support of TeachFirst would be so useful, but think, I just doing perform well under pressure, so just won't get through the interview process. I'll carried on myself and hope to make a difference myself, however small it may be !
Reply 553
Maybe, but feel like I'll be waithing more than a year to start with no gurantee of getting on, seems like I a big gamble, i've already quit my job and so will be looking fo something after Sept, I've applied for a PGCE, so hopefully, if I get that i can continue with that only, its without all the support and encouragement with supporting struggling schools and raising aspirations which is the area that has attracted me to teaching in the first place and which is why i wanted to do TeachFirst.

I have a social enterprise in mind that I want to set up also, so the support of TeachFirst would be so useful, but think, I just doing perform well under pressure, so just won't get through the interview process. I'll carried on myself and hope to make a difference myself, however small it may be !

I understand! You'll be making a difference simply by entering teaching, believe me! I work I a non TF school now and I don't feel like what I'm doing is any less worthy than when I was at my last place. :smile:

There are far more schools that are in difficult circumstances than that use TF to get teaching staff. As a teacher, you'll be working with young people and guiding them along their journey regardless of whether you're in a school that's joined the TF partnership or one that isn't. Similarly, when you look for a job after your PGCE you'll be able to opt for schools that have the kind of intake you're looking to work with even if you were placed in a different environment on your PGCE. I think I'm very Teach First-y in that my reasons for being a teacher mirror what TF do even though I did a PGCE as TF didn't have primary options when I trained to teach. The reason I'm a teacher and the reason I do my job on TSR (university advice/support/guidance) is because I really hate the idea that access to knowledge and support is based on background. Everyone can do well in life regardless of their situation and what we do on TSR is vital for widening access at university level, and the reason I teach is because I want to inspire children to have ambition and succeed regardless of where they're from or what language they speak at home.

On my PGCE the school I was in wasn't a TF school but it was in a very challenging area and could easily have been a TF school. I don't think my time there was any different than it would have been had I been at a TF school. If you do a PGCE it doesn't mean that you have to reject the idea of working in a challenging situation, just think of it more of different ways of training rather than you setting yourself in a particular type of school as that isn't the case. Depending on where you do your PGCE pretty much all of the schools they're partnered with might have the kind of intake you want to teach anyway.
Reply 555
Original post by oxymoronic
There are far more schools that are in difficult circumstances than that use TF to get teaching staff. As a teacher, you'll be working with young people and guiding them along their journey regardless of whether you're in a school that's joined the TF partnership or one that isn't. Similarly, when you look for a job after your PGCE you'll be able to opt for schools that have the kind of intake you're looking to work with even if you were placed in a different environment on your PGCE. I think I'm very Teach First-y in that my reasons for being a teacher mirror what TF do even though I did a PGCE as TF didn't have primary options when I trained to teach. The reason I'm a teacher and the reason I do my job on TSR (university advice/support/guidance) is because I really hate the idea that access to knowledge and support is based on background. Everyone can do well in life regardless of their situation and what we do on TSR is vital for widening access at university level, and the reason I teach is because I want to inspire children to have ambition and succeed regardless of where they're from or what language they speak at home.

On my PGCE the school I was in wasn't a TF school but it was in a very challenging area and could easily have been a TF school. I don't think my time there was any different than it would have been had I been at a TF school. If you do a PGCE it doesn't mean that you have to reject the idea of working in a challenging situation, just think of it more of different ways of training rather than you setting yourself in a particular type of school as that isn't the case. Depending on where you do your PGCE pretty much all of the schools they're partnered with might have the kind of intake you want to teach anyway.

This is basically what I tried to say, but you said it 10000 times better :p:
Reply 556
Hey guys,

I hope you're all enjoying the process of applying/going through the assessment centre and, for those who have got through, congratulations!

I'm starting in June and will be teaching English in London, and I've started to blog my journey. Please do take a look at it- hopefully it will be an interesting and useful tool for all those curious about TF or even those who are starting it. Also feel free to comment on the blog and let me know if there is anything that would be useful for you guys to know/for me to blog about.

Thanks!

www.teachfirstsleeplater.blogspot.co.uk
Reply 557

I didn't get on to TF the first time I applied and I ended up having a really enjoyable couple of years as a youth worker before reapplying. Got on the second time and I felt so much more ready for it. It feels rubbish when you don't get on - I was gutted because I had set my heart on it - but I know that I wouldn't be half as good a teacher as I am now without the experiences I ended up having first. My view is that everything happens for a reason and I'm sure that the passion you have for the issues that TF addresses will lead you to where you need to be, whether that's back to TF in the future or not.
Reply 558
Original post by BeckyT2
I didn't get on to TF the first time I applied and I ended up having a really enjoyable couple of years as a youth worker before reapplying. Got on the second time and I felt so much more ready for it. It feels rubbish when you don't get on - I was gutted because I had set my heart on it - but I know that I wouldn't be half as good a teacher as I am now without the experiences I ended up having first. My view is that everything happens for a reason and I'm sure that the passion you have for the issues that TF addresses will lead you to where you need to be, whether that's back to TF in the future or not.

Thanks Becky, thats really helpful, I have applied for PGCE's, but now I am thinking that I shoudl work as a teaching asst or youth workers as you say for a year first to see how i fit and to continue with the work TF do and then apply next year, won't be a waste of a year, just need to find a job now, really wanna be in London, so am gonna do my hunt. Thanks for the advice, it's good to know other people have had similar experiences !
Reply 559
Original post by vrbuxton1
Hey guys,

I hope you're all enjoying the process of applying/going through the assessment centre and, for those who have got through, congratulations!

I'm starting in June and will be teaching English in London, and I've started to blog my journey. Please do take a look at it- hopefully it will be an interesting and useful tool for all those curious about TF or even those who are starting it. Also feel free to comment on the blog and let me know if there is anything that would be useful for you guys to know/for me to blog about.

Thanks!

www.teachfirstsleeplater.blogspot.co.uk

Hi,

I just read your blog, and sounds really good, and your process into coming to the decision to chnge careers and do TF, are very similar to my own epxerience, good to hear there are others out there. Good louck with TF and I look forward to reading about yuor exploits !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending