The Student Room Group

Why do people compliment beauty?

ok this is a genuine question

when normal people (not family, friends or romantic partners) compliment beauty like "you have lovely eyes" "you can have this beacause you're pretty" etc.

why do they do it? because if it happens to me it just makes me feel uncomfortable. i wouldn't say something like that to other people... even if there was a really hot guy or girl and i was really attracted to them, unless i was going out with them/goodfriend/family i wouldn't compliment them in that way.

it's just something you're born with, it's not an achievment. if someone said "you look good" or "your hair looks nice" then that would be a nice compliment because you've made the effort to do something and it's paid off...

i'm not saying you shouldn't compliment beauty if you want to but i just find it weird.. i guess it is to make them like you more?

Scroll to see replies

Many people like it, it's nice to be reminded that you have attractive qualities, especially if you are feeling low.

You have a beautiful username by the way.
Reply 2
Human nature?

They wanna get freaky with your badonkadonk but you can't just come out and say that.
Well, why not? I'd much rather that than people insulting me for things that I can or can't help.
Reply 4
Appearances are the first thing people notice, and sadly our society revolves around them. It's only natural that people are going to compliment your looks.

& With that logic, people shouldn't compliment you on your talent or your cleverness because you were born with that too.
Reply 5
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Well, why not? I'd much rather that than people insulting me for things that I can or can't help.

the alternative to complimenting someone for something like beauty isn't insulting them for it...
Reply 6
Original post by elenii
Appearances are the first thing people notice, and sadly our society revolves around them. It's only natural that people are going to compliment your looks.

& With that logic, people shouldn't compliment you on your talent or your cleverness because you were born with that too.

i don't think so because you can be born with a natural advantage in a certain talent but it takes work and dedication to become bette/good at it.
Reply 7
Original post by Bellissima
i don't think so because you can be born with a natural advantage in a certain talent but it takes work and dedication to become bette/good at it.

Very true, but it's the same with beauty. If you don't take care of your looks—hair, eyebrows, skin, lips, etc.—no matter how naturally beautiful you are, you're going to look like a tramp :tongue: And a lot of people go further than that by applying make-up to complement their best features.
the alternative to complimenting someone for something like beauty isn't insulting them for it...

I know, but it's kinda the opposite though, isn't it? Like, why even complain about people giving compliments for positive things, when there's more of a problem with people insulting each other over stupid things?
It's a little bit like an unspoken rule of gesture. Some people know that if they compliment a friend for instance then in the future that person will compliment them back.
Reply 10
It's better than having your friends insult you daily about your looks, don't you think?
Well a stranger you've never spoken to before can hardly compliment you on your A-level UMS points or your high scores on pinball. You can't see someones achievements but you can see their face and you can be nice.
I see nothing wrong with it. Lots of things we're complimented for are often natural anyway, such as intelligence, personality (e.g you're really funny), body type and artistic or sporting talent.

As for just saying someone 'looks good' or their hair is really nice, those are still often natural attributes. As someone who doesn't wear makeup and make a big fuss over my hair, I'm pretty sure I've had received drastically fewer compliments regarding looks if it were all about effort and those kind of compliments can really cheer up a rough day.

Of course, some will find their natural beauty and the compliments that come with it a burden. Take Samantha Brick for example...
Reply 13

In what way can a person be BORN with a natural advantage for a talent??
Reply 14
Original post by Mr.mAddd

people can be born with sik genetics for bodybuilding....
Reply 15
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I know, but it's kinda the opposite though, isn't it? Like, why even complain about people giving compliments for positive things, when there's more of a problem with people insulting each other over stupid things?

i'm not complaining i'm just questioning... insulting people for anything is a problem but this thread isn't about insulting people...
Reply 16
Original post by catjaum
people can be born with sik genetics for bodybuilding....

and how exactly do you determine what these 'sik genetics' are?
It also makes me feel uncomfortable. But it makes me feel good inside as well.
I think it's nice :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Mr.mAddd

some people are naturally gifted in certain things.
Reply 19
Original post by StartSomething
It also makes me feel uncomfortable. But it makes me feel good inside as well.
I think it's nice :smile:

i'm probably just not good at accepting compliments!!

it makes me feel good too and feel much more positive but i always think why haha

Quick Reply

Latest