The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Stuck on the last one. I know the country, just have no idea what to do from there :s-smilie:
Original post by Groggle
Stuck on the last one. I know the country, just have no idea what to do from there :s-smilie:

Maybe consider the element named after the country?
has anyone done/is doing the paper?
Reply 83
Original post by jennywren42681
has anyone done/is doing the paper?

hi! i did the paper on monday.

it was... tough. :tongue:
Reply 84
yeah, i did the paper yesterday. how did you find the deuterium questions, they were the hardest part i thought.
Reply 85
found myself guessing most of the first question, and feeling like a fool for it... second question was alright. kind of. hahaha.
What is the answer to the first question.. i'm at purple and i'm stuck.! HELPPPPP please!
Reply 87
its a type of purple, not just 'purple'
anyone doing the latest one?
Reply 89
yeah! I've been stuck on the roentgenium question for days though :frown:. How are you finding it?
yeah! I've been stuck on the roentgenium question for days though . How are you finding it?

completed it yesterday :smile:
how many letters have you got?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Stuck on silver, tips anyone??
Original post by Ww246

ditto
:confused:

1) GOLDEN TIP - in any numerical question, I recommend using a spreadsheet so that if you change a number it automatically updates the answer - have one column with your numbers and calculations in and then the column next to it as your units so that you can see what you've done and where you need to go next

2) look at the axes and see if you can input any info given to you into one axis to read off something from the other
3) don't get confused by the ppm => 1 ppm = 1 mg/dm^3
4) you are given it's name so you can find out it's Mr
5) i didn't actually use the density (as i used the Mr instead)

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 94
still stuck :frown:. Did you get 4.5 ppm? And if so what do you do after?
Original post by jennywren42681
1) GOLDEN TIP - in any numerical question, I recommend using a spreadsheet so that if you change a number it automatically updates the answer - have one column with your numbers and calculations in and then the column next to it as your units so that you can see what you've done and where you need to go next

2) look at the axes and see if you can input any info given to you into one axis to read off something from the other
3) don't get confused by the ppm => 1 ppm = 1 mg/dm^3
4) you are given it's name so you can find out it's Mr
5) i didn't actually use the density (as i used the Mr instead)

hope this helps :smile:

thanks, and the density confused me loads cause i didnt know where to use it. ill have another go now :smile:

done it now, thanks, it was the ppm that got me :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ww246
still stuck :frown:. Did you get 4.5 ppm? And if so what do you do after?

think carefully about what the 4.5 refers to - it's not the ppm but you've got the first stage right :smile:
Reply 97
Sorry I misread >.<, so I end up with 31622 ppm. How do I find the volume and moles with two densitys' ?
Original post by Ww246
Sorry I misread >.<, so I end up with 31622 ppm. How do I find the volume and moles with two densitys' ?

i didnt use the density at all. you know the compound so you know the mr of the compound. so you mess aroiund with the numbers to change mg/dm3 to mol/dm-3
Reply 99
Whats the name of the compound for the entry level question? And can someone explain how they did it? :smile: thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest