The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2600
Being "not at fault" in an accident still adds £500 to my insurance >_<

On the plus side I get my car back today (hopefully). Can't wait to be in a car with a little more character, the Hyundai i30 is really good - but so dull.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Yawn11
Nay to Italian cars.

unless it's a ferrari or a lambo
Reply 2604
mine is a black clio and IT IS THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!! However insurance is £4000 (for third party) and the car was only £2500, they said its my post code even though i live in a perfectly nice area with my car on a locked drive :s-smilie:
Reply 2605
Original post by user1111
unless it's a ferrari or a lambo

Even they have their issues apparently lol

But yeah they're exempt.
Reply 2606
Original post by MissLightyear

Im going to test drive them both to see which I prefer :smile:

Did you manage to do some test driving and tyre kicking then?

What's the outcome? :smile:
Reply 2607

They are an electrical headache if you buy one that's been abused.

Overall they aren't bad cars but a bit on the fragile side. Parts are cheap though.
Original post by Herr
Did you manage to do some test driving and tyre kicking then?

What's the outcome? :smile:

I did :smile: Ive actually bought the 1.2 Panda (£1200 w/ full service and 12 months MOT), it felt good to drive (especially the placement of the gear stick), was in great condition with low mileage and has decent fuel efficiency.

I didnt really have too many negatives about the other cars, its just that the Panda seemed right! I did really like the Picanto too but it seemed to struggle a bit at higher speeds (obvioly with it being a 1L) and the handling wasnt too great at speed.

I just need to remember how small the car is (although surprisingly roomier than I expected), I keep parking in the top left corner of a parking space because I over estimate the size :colondollar:

But, yeah, I'm happy with the car and really appreciate the help you gave :smile:
Reply 2609
Original post by MissLightyear
I did :smile: Ive actually bought the 1.2 Panda (£1200 w/ full service and 12 months MOT), it felt good to drive (especially the placement of the gear stick), was in great condition with low mileage and has decent fuel efficiency.

I didnt really have too many negatives about the other cars, its just that the Panda seemed right! I did really like the Picanto too but it seemed to struggle a bit at higher speeds (obvioly with it being a 1L) and the handling wasnt too great at speed.

I just need to remember how small the car is (although surprisingly roomier than I expected), I keep parking in the top left corner of a parking space because I over estimate the size :colondollar:

But, yeah, I'm happy with the car and really appreciate the help you gave :smile:

Congratulations and enjoy the new ride. :smile:
Original post by Yawn11
Nay to Italian cars.

Nay to french cars and nay to italian cars?

That leaves with me the choice of fiesta, corsa, micra and polo.

The prices of small cars seems to have gone up with the price of fuel skyrocketing :/
Reply 2611
Original post by Camoxide
Nay to french cars and nay to italian cars?

That leaves with me the choice of fiesta, corsa, micra and polo.

The prices of small cars seems to have gone up with the price of fuel skyrocketing :/

My car's French and it's served me well so far, :dontknow: I have no problem with french. 206's are quite popular, you're guaranteed to find a bargain somewhere.

This is a great site when considering a car http://www.reliabilityindex.com/ You''ll find Fiats generally have a higher reliablity index (which isn't good lol).

Also read reviews and stuff.
So I'm looking for my first car, I'm 19 and just passed. Now and I'm just looking for something that has cheap insurance and not something like a Corsa or a typical boy racer car. Although if that would have the cheapest insurance I could probably put up with it in black.

I plan to have the car for 3+ years, I won't be using it daily but still pretty often (couple times a week).

I'm not insurance savvy so I don't know what would be a bad car. I really like VW Golfs especially the retro'ish looks of a VW Golf MK2. I also like MK4 GTI Turbo, MK3, VR6, what do you guys think?

I have a budget of around £2,000 for the car and I'm listening to all suggestions.
Original post by So Instinct
So I'm looking for my first car, I'm 19 and just passed. Now and I'm just looking for something that has cheap insurance and not something like a Corsa or a typical boy racer car. Although if that would have the cheapest insurance I could probably put up with it in black.

I plan to have the car for 3+ years, I won't be using it daily but still pretty often (couple times a week).

I'm not insurance savvy so I don't know what would be a bad car. I really like VW Golfs especially the retro'ish looks of a VW Golf MK2. I also like MK4 GTI Turbo, MK3, VR6, what do you guys think?

I have a budget of around £2,000 for the car and I'm listening to all suggestions.

Hate to burst your bubble, but after just passing there is not a chance in hell that you will get insured for anything less than three times what the car is worth on anything that has "turbo" or in particular a VR6, those things are monsters!!!

Im afraid if you want cheap insurance you will be limited to the 1.0-1.3 litre engined cars.

If you want a MK2 Golf, you will have to find a 1.3 engined CL or Ryder. I had a lovely 1.3 Ryder for my first car, and I stumbled across some lucky insurance from a not very well known firm at the time. It was £500 for the car and £1100 for the insurance. That was amazing compared to the other quotes believe me.

Be wary of older cars though (<1998). I bought my Golf a year before I passed just because it needed welding and work on the brakes/engine etc... This did't cost me much because my dad is a classic car restorer :cool:

I am currently looking for a 1.5 Turbo Diesel Corsa B from between 1994-1999, which would actually be a great first car. Most reliable engine in the world (Izuzu), a smooth ride and does 60mpg!!!!

Anyway that is just my advice, good luck!! :smile:
Reply 2614
buy the VW Polo, its good on insurance....
had my first lesson today, and I've got a clio waiting for when i pass :h:
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
had my first lesson today, and I've got a clio waiting for when i pass :h:

had my too, I was nervous though however, it just went away and I pretty much enjoyed my first lesson even though I went off the clutch way to quick on my first and second gears, how did your's go on?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know when u have ur first driving lesson did u go on the main road after going round a block like 6 times? because my instructor said "right ur going on the main road now" I was thinking to my self okay, but are u sure? ever happened to anyone by chance? and what do I do about my clutch as I seem to take it off really quick on my 1st and 2nd gears? (I really don't want this to become a habbit, even though it was my first lesson today, still)

sorry for the very long reading

Thanks
Original post by sim12345
had my too, I was nervous though however, it just went away and I pretty much enjoyed my first lesson even though I went off the clutch way to quick on my first and second gears, how did your's go on?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know when u have ur first driving lesson did u go on the main road after going round a block like 6 times? because my instructor said "right ur going on the main road now" I was thinking to my self okay, but are u sure? ever happened to anyone by chance? and what do I do about my clutch as I seem to take it off really quick on my 1st and 2nd gears? (I really don't want this to become a habbit, even though it was my first lesson today, still)

sorry for the very long reading

Thanks

Hey :smile: mine was great! I got up to 4th gear and went round some
Mini round abouts on a quiet road :smile: my instructor said my clutch control was pretty good.
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
Hey :smile: mine was great! I got up to 4th gear and went round some
Mini round abouts on a quiet road :smile: my instructor said my clutch control was pretty good.

I did the same as u got upto the 4th gear, however, went passed some mni round abouts bu my instructor said to befcare of my clutch so I have alot to do on that :smile:

which company are u learning off if u don't mind me asking?
Original post by sim12345
I did the same as u got upto the 4th gear, however, went passed some mni round abouts bu my instructor said to befcare of my clutch so I have alot to do on that :smile:

which company are u learning off if u don't mind me asking?

Apollo - I think it might be an independent one in my town :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending