The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madferit-lfc
OP lol never mind. If somebody's disabled, I think there is a case for benefits, but I think they should be closed off to lazy stupid people. Obviously disabled people haven't got a choice in the matter

No, but plenty of disabled people DO work.

Alison Lapper as I've mentioned before.
Original post by Elissabeth

But not all of them CAN.
My location says London because I just never changed it and that is where I was when I joined this site!

I'm not suggesting they could afford to buy one, but they get to live in them because the council pays the landlord an extortionate amount of housing benefit for the person to live there, out of public money!!!!!

There is a family in Acton who get 12K a month!

I doubt people on benefits live in South Kensington housing somehow :rolleyes:

They probably live on a council estate you stupid little eejit...
Reply 903
Original post by NYprincessmaddie
Because usually its 11am on a Wednesday morning, their wearing a Lacoste "trackie" with a "spliff" hanging out of their mouths.

Quick to judge. How do you know it isn't their day off? Or if they work night shifts/part time?
So your a veggie who doesn't like eggs or houmous?

You sound extremely fussy. What exactly do you eat?

Thats bull****. How is cheese healthy? No more unhealthy then crisps or biscuits and you can get 6 Tesco low-fat yogurts for £1. Come to think of it, school dinners weren't in any way healthy until Jamie Oliver intervened in 2005 or so.

You can get 6 bananas for £1 as well.

Or a cold pasta salad/ couscous salad would cost next to nothing made in bulk and sent in as a packed lunch.

I like eggs now. When I was in primary school I didn't.
Bottom line is that it was fairly pricey to send two kids in with healthy packed lunches - we're looking at at least £6/7 a week, and that's before money for breakfast club and a snack at break (or should I eat another yoghurt while all the other kids get jam on toast and laugh at me, then throw their crusts at me?).
We also weren't allowed cutlery if we had a packed lunch, so pasta salad would be out - and I didn't know I liked it because mum hates pasta with a passion!

Yes, she has a talent. She is an exception. I don't know many people with no arms who hold down jobs, because there is a lot that they can't do. But you seem to be a fan of assuming the exception is the norm, so no surprises there.

Not all disabled people can work. My mum is often in too much pain to get out of bed, never mind to work. I know someone with cerebral palsy like ilovehobnobs (I think it was you who said you suffered, correct me if I'm wrong) who has virtually no fine motor skills as her disorder is quite severe, and so finds it difficult to do most things that you would be required to do if you were working in retail or a factory or a bar or an office... so all the jobs I can think of off the top of my head you can do without qualifications. People in wheelchairs cannot stack shelves or see over a bar and would probably not be able to operate machinery that able bodied people have to stand at, so specific factory work or office work is the only option for them if they can get any.
I don't think you should make a judgement on the ability of disabled people to work unless you are disabled yourself.
Original post by ilovehobnobs
I doubt people on benefits live in South Kensington housing somehow :rolleyes:

They probably live on a council estate you stupid little eejit...

Some do.

And Acton is not in South Kensington, actually, its in the London borough of Ealing.
Some do.

And Acton is not in South Kensington, actually, its in the London borough of Ealing.

So your telling me....people on benefits are giving millions of £s worth of house for nothing?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Needed that love, thanks :smile:

Couldn't she be a chatline operator from home?

Here we go again.
Your opinion is that we should force disabled people into the sex industry.
How nice.
Reply 908
Original post by ras90
Simple, if you can't pay for your own children, dont have children!

I would stop all forms of child related benefit.

Easier said that done. But I agree that only a fool would purposefully bring a child into this world without being able to support their family to whatever standard ofliving they think acceptable, but then likewise only a fool or the incredibly unlucky would do so unplanned...

Accidents do happen of course...However the vast majority of single parents were not single when the child was concieved, nor usually when it is born... So using the excuse of 'immoral selfish scrounging baby-factory single mothers' as an excuse for driving yet more children and families into very real poverty is akin to only allowing people to drive when they reach the age of thirty as the vast majority of accidents involve the under twenty fives...
So your telling me....people on benefits are giving millions of £s worth of house for nothing?

Stop being so niave. Its true, they had to try and put a cap on housing benefit because it had got so ridiculous.
Stop being so niave. Its true, they had to try and put a cap on housing benefit because it had got so ridiculous.

:rolleyes:
Well, Alison Lapper cant drive a car, because she is too disabled, yet she manages to live independently and is not a burden to the state, using any excuse to milk the system.

Yes, because everyone has that kind of talant :rolleyes:

You probably have loads of money and claim DLA aswell, just because you are b***** greedy.

Rofl. You have no idea do you.
Most people on benefits do not have loads of money.
That is especially true of those who are disabled and so spend the vast majority of what they get just trying to live a life as close to normal as possible.

There is even a family who claim £12K a month ffs!

here we go again. Yes there are one or two cases like that. But you have to realise that 99% of people on benefits are no where near in that situation. People like that, who take that amount of money from the state, are an extreme minority and do not represent what life is like for most people on benefits.

Why do I need to 'find some empathy', I've never bullied anyone for being poor, or for being rich, for that matter!

But I think if someone is a scrounger then thats fair game- I mean they have chosen that lifestyle.

1 - Being on benefits does not make you a scrounger.
2 - Most people do not choose to be on benefits. They have no other option.

Original post by Iron Lady

2. Genuine poor people will not go without the necessities; however wasters need to get the kick up the backside they deserve.

You cannot be sure of that.
Certainly certain people in this thread think genuine poor people should go without.
And you are seeing that right now in the real world, with the governments disability assessments being so ****ed up it is unreal (seriously, if you have not looked into it, do some research into some of the cases that have been found "fit to work". I think you would be amazed).

But that does not mean all are able to.
Original post by Ineluctable
No-one has a problem with people who really cannot get a job who get benefits. People have a problem with those who can't be bothered to work, and don't care about society.

Right but how do you distinguish between these two types of people? The unemployed who cannot get a job are often seen as lazy and as not trying hard enough to find one.
People seem to think the working age unemployed and lone mothers form the vast majority of benefit claimants when in fact most of them are pensioners and the disabled. Of course the government doesnt report this because it benefits them to have the mass population holding these beliefs about people on a low income.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 913
Original post by WelshBluebird
You cannot be sure of that.
Certainly certain people in this thread think genuine poor people should go without.
And you are seeing that right now in the real world, with the governments disability assessments being so ****ed up it is unreal (seriously, if you have not looked into it, do some research into some of the cases that have been found "fit to work". I think you would be amazed).

The system needs tightening. I will look into it when I have the time.

On a side note, people on this thread are not representative of any political ideology; I'd suggest taking what you read on here with a pinch of salt. There is no doubt that they have valid concerns, but certain people have gone over the top and make the rest of their political groupings look insane. You're not going to change their views, so you're wasting your time by constantly replying and there are flaws in your argument too. Doesn't it get boring?
Reply 914
Here we go again.
Your opinion is that we should force disabled people into the sex industry.
How nice.

Here you go again by making silly assumptions.

It was only a suggestion - by no means is Elissabeth saying minimarshmallow's Mum should be forced into it.

Like I've seen you say to others (e.g. Elissabeth & NYprincessmaddie) about excuses / reasons, learn what a suggestion is please.
Here you go again by making silly assumptions.

It was only a suggestion - by no means is Elissabeth saying minimarshmallow's Mum should be forced into it.

Like I've seen you say to others (e.g. Elissabeth & NYprincessmaddie) about excuses / reasons, learn what a suggestion is please.

You were not to know this, but I have had a discussion with her in the past about this.
She DOES think that if there are no other jobs that they can do, then the person should be a chatline worker.
So thinks that because that is what she does.
Reply 916
You were not to know this, but I have had a discussion with her in the past about this.
She DOES think that if there are no other jobs that they can do, then the person should be a chatline worker.
So thinks that because that is what she does.

Oh right, my mistake. To put this into context, did she say that if there were no other alternatives they should become a chatline operator, as opposed to receiving benefits?
Oh right, my mistake. To put this into context, did she say that if there were no other alternatives they should become a chatline operator, as opposed to receiving benefits?

Pretty much yes.
She said that if there are jobs the person could do, no matter what they were, even if it meant being a chatline operator, then they should do them.

Now, I agree to a point. In that being disabled does not always stop you working and if you can work then you should try to. But saying that people should take a job in the sex industry if they cannot do anything else is just plain sick.

The system needs tightening. I will look into it when I have the time.

The issue is the current reforms do not have the aim to actually sort out the system and make sure those claiming are the ones who are supposed to be claiming. The aim is to save money. Simply that. No matter the consequences. That is obvious by the fact terminally ill people, people who can barely move without any pain etc etc are being somehow found fit to work.

It is telling that in some parts of the country, ATOS have been found wrong on nearly half of their assessments. Meaning that sometimes, 40% of those found fit to work have won an appeal to prove ATOS wrong.

On a side note, people on this thread are not representative of any political ideology; I'd suggest taking what you read on here with a pinch of salt. There is no doubt that they have valid concerns, but certain people have gone over the top and make the rest of their political groupings look insane. You're not going to change their views, so you're wasting your time by constantly replying and there are flaws in your argument too. Doesn't it get boring?

Of course it is not representative. But I do find it worrying that people do hold such views.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 918
Nearing the 1,000 post landmark. 1,000 posts representing a large amount of time, effort and aggro wasted. Think of all the sex, video game playing, DVD watching and hugs you could've had instead in that period.

Actually I can tell you for a fact, through my current job, that there are people living on the New Kings Road, SW6 for example who get all their rent paid for them through housing benefit.....for properties whose values are approaching a million quid.

Since you specifically mentioned Kensington, I'll tell you that there are tons of identical cases there too, even around Holland Park.

Trust me, DSS isn't limited to dumps. It's wherever housing associations are retarded enough to pay for it.

There is one housing association that has properties worth easily over a million in Danvers Street, Chelsea though I have never personally dealt with them.

Latest

Trending

Trending