The Student Room Group

Camp america 2012 ???????????

Scroll to see replies

What's everyone's experience when it comes to how long you had to wait to find out if you were placed? I've applied through BUNAC but anyones experience with any company would be good to hear - I imagine they're all quite similar?

Also, does anyone have any experience with teaching photography at camp or know anyone who does? :smile: Cheers
Reply 141
Hiya,

Does anyone know how long most people have to wait to hear about being placed on Camp America?
My application for being a counsellor has been at the stage where its being sent around camps for just over a month, and I still haven't heard anything :frown:.

I didn't know if this means I probably won't be placed or whether a lot of people hear later?
Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of placement, such as emailing specific camps?

It would be great to hear back from anyone who knows!
Thanks
Reply 142
Original post by LSoffe
Hiya,

Does anyone know how long most people have to wait to hear about being placed on Camp America?
My application for being a counsellor has been at the stage where its being sent around camps for just over a month, and I still haven't heard anything :frown:.

I didn't know if this means I probably won't be placed or whether a lot of people hear later?
Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of placement, such as emailing specific camps?

It would be great to hear back from anyone who knows!
Thanks

My application is circulating too. I hate this waiting game. Have you made your second deposit?
I'm actually going through camp leaders but there isn't a thread for that. Just been placed, so excited!!
Original post by AliceStrawbs
What's everyone's experience when it comes to how long you had to wait to find out if you were placed? I've applied through BUNAC but anyones experience with any company would be good to hear - I imagine they're all quite similar?

Also, does anyone have any experience with teaching photography at camp or know anyone who does? :smile: Cheers

It depends on when you applied. I went through BUNAC (think I had my interview in February) and got placed in March/April. That's when most places seem to come through, so it could be any time in the next few week!
I taught Arts & Crafts at camp and knew a few people who did photography - it was quite a small department. They tended to do simple arrangements out of shapes for the younger kids, take a pic and then the staff would develop it in the dark room. Quite laid back and chilled. They did different things with the older kids, but I'm not sure what they were. Hope this helps!
Good luck :-)
Original post by AliceStrawbs

Hey, I went with BUNAC last year and got placed very late on. They even emailed me at the beginning of May saying that the placement deadline date had passed and said that i could stay on the programme just in case something came up. Luckily i got placed around the 9th-10th of May, so don't worry give up yet!! Was such a relief when i got the email!!!

I didn't teach photography, but my camp was children from the age of 7-14. So generally it was basic stuff, and fun things that was often themed with that week on camp. For example, when we did Disney week, in arts and crafts we did character masks and costumes for a dance that night. Its just fun!! Hope you hear from them soon! I know it can be daunting!! :smile:
Original post by natalierose
It depends on when you applied. I went through BUNAC (think I had my interview in February) and got placed in March/April. That's when most places seem to come through, so it could be any time in the next few week!
I taught Arts & Crafts at camp and knew a few people who did photography - it was quite a small department. They tended to do simple arrangements out of shapes for the younger kids, take a pic and then the staff would develop it in the dark room. Quite laid back and chilled. They did different things with the older kids, but I'm not sure what they were. Hope this helps!
Good luck :-)

Original post by Sian_Lloyd
Hey, I went with BUNAC last year and got placed very late on. They even emailed me at the beginning of May saying that the placement deadline date had passed and said that i could stay on the programme just in case something came up. Luckily i got placed around the 9th-10th of May, so don't worry give up yet!! Was such a relief when i got the email!!!

I didn't teach photography, but my camp was children from the age of 7-14. So generally it was basic stuff, and fun things that was often themed with that week on camp. For example, when we did Disney week, in arts and crafts we did character masks and costumes for a dance that night. Its just fun!! Hope you hear from them soon! I know it can be daunting!! :smile:

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 147
Heyyy, I applied with Bunac last year and didn't get placed until the end of march, but I know people who got placed much later so need to worry. Just keep checking your application. :smile:
I applied this year but didnt manage to complete my application due to not having the money since i'm at university, they rang me several times to ask my to complete my application because it looks strong =(

If i want to apply next year i have to fill it all out again - so frustrating, I REALLY wanted to go this year =(
Reply 149
hey, I wanna apply for this summer, does anyone know if its too late now?
I can't see a deadline on the website but when i try and register it wont let me put UK as my country of residence :s-smilie:
Reply 150
I really really am mega interested in going to Camp America next summer, currently i am 17 and studying for my AS levels and i wanted to do Camp America next summer for the whole thing rather than take a Gap year.

I have been reading around the sites, camp america, BUNAC, camp leaders ect. and most of them need you to be available from the 1st May onwards. I am worried that i wouldnt have finished my A Levels by the 1st May, is there any way you can ask to not be sent out untill a certain date? So want to go and hoping that it is sort of flexible... :P
Reply 151
Original post by 150bel.w
I really really am mega interested in going to Camp America next summer, currently i am 17 and studying for my AS levels and i wanted to do Camp America next summer for the whole thing rather than take a Gap year.

I have been reading around the sites, camp america, BUNAC, camp leaders ect. and most of them need you to be available from the 1st May onwards. I am worried that i wouldnt have finished my A Levels by the 1st May, is there any way you can ask to not be sent out untill a certain date? So want to go and hoping that it is sort of flexible... :P

Dw, over 80% of camps are from around mid-June to mid-August. This year, my last exam in on the 18th June and I contacted the camp directly and they didn't mind me coming a few days late! (Although I should add I went with Americamp, not camp america, but same difference really)
Reply 152
My start date is June 3rd. I think BUNAC say you must be able to start by 21st June, but earlier the better in terms of placement chances.
Reply 153
Okk, thanks for the replies!:smile: Just checking, i know its probablly a stupid question, but you dont need to be 18 for when you apply, just by the time your sent out right? Cos im 18 next march, so i will have to apply when im 17, but i think thats still ok yes?!!
Does anyone have experiences with being accepted but not being placed? I'm starting to worry now, I was accepted around Dec/Jan, I've received a few replies but it hasn't amounted to anything. Browsing camp websites, many seem to have closed applications. Will I get the fees refunded? I presume the visa fee isn't refundable. Is it worth emailing camps? Not sure what to put in the emails.
Reply 155
Hi guys! :smile:

im looking for some info/advise if someone could help me.
Im 19, currently in my last year of A/levels (i know a little older than the averge leaver)

Im going to Leeds University to study social work starting in sept 2012 (already have my offer :smile:)
I've been looking into doing some summer work abroad next year - 2013, i've seen people mention camp america and bunac, which would people recommend?
Also when do i need to apply? what relevant experience do i need to obtain? how long is the work for? etc

a lot of questions i no, id appriciate someone helping me out i think having something like that on my C.V after iv finished my degree and im looking for work would be fab.

Thanks guys :smile:
Laura x
Original post by Brighten
Does anyone have experiences with being accepted but not being placed? I'm starting to worry now, I was accepted around Dec/Jan, I've received a few replies but it hasn't amounted to anything. Browsing camp websites, many seem to have closed applications. Will I get the fees refunded? I presume the visa fee isn't refundable. Is it worth emailing camps? Not sure what to put in the emails.

this is the main part, where, most ppl get offered a place, so shouldn't worry too much :smile: does your camp do profile reviews? if u dont get placed, then yh they should refund u, what u paid them
Original post by fortunecookie
I'm actually going through camp leaders but there isn't a thread for that. Just been placed, so excited!!

me too :five: where have u been placed? which prep day did u go to?

Original post by hasan4life
me too :five: where have u been placed? which prep day did u go to?

Camp Mohawk in Connecticut, how about you? :smile: I went to the Reading one
Original post by Brighten

I wouldn't worry, lots of people who are going to my camp have only just been placed and lots of people don't get placed right until June. I think you just have to be patient, as hard as it is! The Visa isn't refunable, but I think the frees are. Who are you going with?

Quick Reply

Latest