The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Economics Unit 3 - 12th June 2012 PM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Axellia
I had three main points and evaluated throughout and a long conclusion and two diagrams of collusive oligopoly and decrease in consumer welfare

my points were:
-making market more contestable eg by subsidising new entrants
-regulating conduct
-windfall taxes
how about you?

Thank God. I did the same points. Well regulation and making it more contestable and evaluated it to death. What did you do for the 1st question?
Reply 421
I did the oligopoly question in part two. But did the climate one in question 1 and think ive done proper **** in that part. Did anyone else do it? The question had little microeconomic relevance i thought?
Reply 422
Original post by zaneali
18.6%??? Hopefully thats right

It is, i got it right. Then changed it. Lost 3 marks like an idiot.
Reply 423
Did anyone do Cost benefit analysis?
Reply 424
Original post by Alpha5
I thought it was a hard paper. Gb predictions? How many for an A do you guys think?

Last econ3 I did in Jan12 the grade boundary for an A 80ums was 59/80 and I thought it was a really nasty paper, especially the data response, so compared to this one I think this was easier so I'm guessing the grade boundaries will be higher than 59 for an A?

Also I've looked at previous grade boundaries and theyre all extremely similar
Reply 425
Original post by Ammarm6
Did anyone do Cost benefit analysis?

Lol
For the oligopoly question, i just realised it said government policies. I did all my points based on the Competition commission introducing the policy so i had compulsory breaking up/price cieling/nationalisation/regulation. Are these valid reasons or is it 'not' government policy?
Reply 427
Lol my friend did the cost benefit one
Reply 428
Erm i think those reasons are okay for the oligopoly one, but why would u nationalise it? its not a single monopoly
I said the extreme case would be nationalisation where you transferred the entire industry into the public sector which i think is a valid policy. :s-smilie:
Reply 430
Original post by Jakeeyy
Thank God. I did the same points. Well regulation and making it more contestable and evaluated it to death. What did you do for the 1st question?

I did the poverty one

Did anyone else find that there wasn't much to write for the 15 marker oligopoly? I only wrote about one and a half A4 pages
Reply 431
Original post by Matt osbourne
For the oligopoly question, i just realised it said government policies. I did all my points based on the Competition commission introducing the policy so i had compulsory breaking up/price cieling/nationalisation/regulation. Are these valid reasons or is it 'not' government policy?

I outlined why an oligopoly was bad through collusion and such.

Then said it can be regulated through government bodies and oligopolies are fined 10% annual turnover for anti-competitive behaviour

Also said how subsidies can be to reduce barriers to entry, making the market more contestable.
Reply 432
Cost benefit was the easiest question, i reckon i got full marks, for evaluation i said it should be carried out indepedently, its assumptions may be varied etc, so decent question, oligopoly wasnt bad as well
Reply 433
Original post by tonymanny
Erm i think those reasons are okay for the oligopoly one, but why would u nationalise it? its not a single monopoly

is privatization a policy which would be used?
Reply 434
Original post by Axellia
I did the poverty one

Did anyone else find that there wasn't much to write for the 15 marker oligopoly? I only wrote about one and a half A4 pages

I didn't even do that, i defined it. Said with uncertainty about because they are similar and price wars and elasticity and all that stuff then with interdepence talked about collusion and why they would do so.
Reply 435

Original post by Jakeeyy
It is, i got it right. Then changed it. Lost 3 marks like an idiot.

Dont worry too much mate, my mate only got 1 out of 5 in unit 4 but still ended up with 75 ums, depends how well you done on the rest of the questions
Reply 436
How many UMS need to get 60%
Original post by Axellia
I did the poverty one

I found this, I have fairly small writing though, then ended up scribbling down half a page of rubbish at the end (I finished with about half an hour to go).

I sat this in January and got 76UMS but there were reasons for that... this seemed a bit easier, but still not great!!
Reply 438
Original post by Jakeeyy
I didn't even do that, i defined it. Said with uncertainty about because they are similar and price wars and elasticity and all that stuff then with interdepence talked about collusion and why they would do so.

There was so little to write about it! I don't understand why they put it as a 15 marker
Reply 439
For the 15 marker, Kinked demand curve= rigid prices etc. Talk about how its inelastic and elastic, and how the state of competitive inderpendence will mean they rely on reactions of competing firms. Then a little on collusion.
For the 25 marker, i wrote about a page and a half on why oligopolies can cause problems, like collusion fixed pricing etc. Then wrote how you should increase contestability, Use competition comission etc, like they have done with BA and virgin in the past. Then chucked in regulation and max price, so firms cant make supernomal profits.

I think most of that should be fine :smile:, on the other hand i failed section A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending