The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Accommodation Offers 2012/2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I am REALLY nervous as a lot of people seem to have been placed already.... I'm not going to know until my results.... there's going to be no places left! :'(
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
First year students are guaranteed Halls of Residence accommodation. You have nothing to worry about. It only seems like 'a lot of people' have their accommodation sorted as they are unconditional applicants and they obviously have to talk about things. Wait until results day and this thread will be thriving with conditional applicants.

Summarise - Nothing to worry about! You will not be living on the streets. :smile:
Are the rooms in Trefloyne bigger, smaller or the same as Cwrt Mawr rooms?
I am an unconditional offer holder but Aber is my insurance. Does this mean my acomodation won't be processed until Results Day?

I really want either Rosser or Alexandra Hall. Failing that Trefloyne. Although I know it's all luck because they wouldn't let us specify which we would prefer :frown:
Original post by venuswaltz
I am an unconditional offer holder but Aber is my insurance. Does this mean my acomodation won't be processed until Results Day?

I really want either Rosser or Alexandra Hall. Failing that Trefloyne. Although I know it's all luck because they wouldn't let us specify which we would prefer :frown:

From reading this years accommodation booklet;

Unconditional Firm applicants
UF applications will be processed shortly after they are received - you don't need to wait until August

And then Conditional Firm and Insurance
CF and CI - Results day - university course accepts you and vice versa - Aberystwyth University will email you instructions on how to electronically confirm your place

It doesn't specifically state unconditional insurance applicants but I would guess that you would be included in the CF and CI group as you haven't confirmed/accepted your place at Aber. The only applicants to have their accommodation place/building confirmed is the unconditional firm applicants as they have confirmed their place with Aber.

Don't take my word for certain, I would look through the Aber accommodation section on the website and if it isn't there email the accommodation office as they are very happy to help with anything. :smile:

Hope the above helps. :smile:
Reply 45
I was given Rosser, although I think it was fairly low on my list.

But £500 extra a year doesn't seem a lot, got my own throne and everything!
Reply 46
I don't really see the point in having en-suite because in second and third year you will have to end up sharing toilet and shower anyway so why not just start off in first year. (for those who really insist on en-suite) :hmmmm:
Original post by The Optimistic Ram

Hope the above helps. :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile: From reading that it does make more sense leaving unconditional insurance people until results Day :smile:
Seeing people get there accom just made a bit impatient to find out where I will be staying :biggrin:
Original post by venuswaltz
Thank you so much! :smile: From reading that it does make more sense leaving unconditional insurance people until results Day :smile:
Seeing people get there accom just made a bit impatient to find out where I will be staying :biggrin:

The only applicants Aber can give out accommodation to is those who are definitely going and confirmed.

As others have mentioned you probably won't get Rosser as they are very limited in quantity and as you quite rightly mentioned this year applicants can only state there room preference not the building. So if you did apply for 'en suite single', you may get Alexandra Halls on the seafront.

Saying all that, seeing as you're a insurance applicant I wouldn't worry too much about accommodation here. Yes, do get your applicant in but I think getting into your firm choice is a better idea. :smile:

Original post by hiddles
I don't really see the point in having en-suite because in second and third year you will have to end up sharing toilet and shower anyway so why not just start off in first year. (for those who really insist on en-suite) :hmmmm:

Absolutely!!! There is no point at all in my opinion in paying £500 extra for your own facilities when it will take up very vital room space in an already small room. Then additionally as you have already said, in your 2nd and 3rd year you will be expected to share a bathroom. I heavily doubt that any private sector accommodation in Aber has en suite facilities.

£500 could pay for nights out in your first year. It's basically, bigger bedroom = lower rent, smaller bedroom plus en suite = higher rent. Then the en suite peeps will need to buy their own cleaning products etc instead of splitting the cost with the rest of the flat so that will soon add up.

Each to their own though...
(edited 11 years ago)

Absolutely!!! There is no point at all in my opinion in paying £500 extra for your own facilities when it will take up very vital room space in an already small room. Then additionally as you have already said, in your 2nd and 3rd year you will be expected to share a bathroom. I heavily doubt that any private sector accommodation in Aber has en suite facilities.

£500 could pay for nights out in your first year. It's basically, bigger bedroom = lower rent, smaller bedroom plus en suite = higher rent. Then the en suite peeps will need to buy their own cleaning products etc instead of splitting the cost with the rest of the flat so that will soon add up.

Its one of those things I suppose that its nice to have the option to have your own en-suite for an extra year and I'm glad I got it, but it wouldn't bother me either way if I didn't get it and ended up in a standard room with sharing bathroom instead! I will miss that extra money but with a bit of luck maybe I will get the £800 residential bursary so it won't be as bad :smile:
Original post by Ddraig Goch
with a bit of luck maybe I will get the £800 residential bursary so it won't be as bad :smile:

If you have firmed Aber and applied for accommodation before June 30th then you automatically get the residential bursary, if you are a insurance applicant then you will not get the bursary regardless.

Anyway those in standard singles with the bursary will still have £500 extra if you're comparing that way...

Good luck getting your grades needed. =]

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by hiddles

I agree. I thought the Rosser ensuites looked absolutely horrible... and the rooms are tiny. I know it's uni and the accommodation is hardly the Ritz, but still...

Also I've heard that you very rarely have to wait for a shower anyway as you share two showers between around 7-8 (I think). Plus there's a sink in the standard singles so you can give yourself a quick splash in the mornings before heading out to lectures :tongue: always best to shower at night I think if you have early morning lectures...

Trefloyne rooms are pretty small though I think :/ well some are, some aren't... I hope mine's quite spacious.
Reply 52
Got my offer now and I'm in Cwrt Mawr!!
:banana:
You unconditionals are making me jealous! :biggrin:

I'd be happy with any of the accommodation as long as the people I'm sharing a flat with are nice.
Reply 54
Original post by PinkyPurply
You unconditionals are making me jealous! :biggrin:

I'd be happy with any of the accommodation as long as the people I'm sharing a flat with are nice.

Me to! I really want to know where I'm living :frown: but nope, got a couple months to wait yet. tbh I'd be happy with anywhere as long as its not catered or bunks! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 55
Original post by Destina93
tbh I'd be happy with anywhere as long as its not catered or bunks! :smile:

Do you think anyone has put bunk in their top 3?
Reply 56
Hi, I'm starting on my masters in the fall, and I've received and accepted an unconditional offer ca mid april (and an acceptance letter, I've also been granted a government loan in my home country). I'm an international student, and have also received a scholarship from the Uni. Both things should mean I'm guaranteed accommodation, yet I've yet to receive any offers (and yes: I did apply, and got an e-mail confirming my application have been received). I notice a lot of people have received accommodation already. When did you people apply? I applied the 6th of may, two days after I got the e-mail from the accommodation office. Is it supposed to take this long? I've also accepted the offer on the UCAS webside, it says "unconditional offer accepted". I'm a pit puzzled why I haven't received an offer yet, I'm gonna have to send an e-mail in the morning...
Got my offer today and I'm also in Cwrt Mawr :biggrin: :banana2:
Reply 58
Original post by hiddles

I do a lot of sport, and I mean, a LOT, plus I sweat like a pig:angry:! So the convenience of having your own personnal shower, for your use whenever you want is the main reason I went for en-suite. The sink and toilet is and added bonus, but the shower is the main thing.

Also, I like really long showers, and I doubt that would make me too popular if I were sharing :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by ysgwrn
Do you think anyone has put bunk in their top 3?

Yes, I do. They're hell of a lot cheaper for starters... and some people may going with friends... If aber allow people to chose bunk mates? Not sure on that one.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply