The Student Room Group

"Teachers should not give sweets and chocolates as a reward"

Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
God damn it receiving sweets at the end of the year made my childhood.

IT IS ALWAYS RIGHT.
Yeah I agree, it would give the children more happiness and love towards that teacher, therefore more respect and at the end of the day, that's what most people want anyway :biggrin:
Reply 3
Why not? Even in year 11 in German to actually make us answer questions she use to give us sweets. When we got a question right or answered she would give us a ticket, and a sweet for every three, then used it as a raffle and whoever got picked out won a bigger packet of sweets. It worked. We're all on A's and B's

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
One of the schools I went to when I was younger did it. It motivated kids to commit to their work. That strikes me as a good thing.
Yeah dont give those kids any incentive, if they do good give them a nice rosy red apple, theyll be all over that. -.-
This question aroused on the news a while ago, people argued that
•When you reward a child, they believe they are perfect and don't continue their hard work
•Giving sweets are bad
•If a teacher is unaware of allergies a child has, they may give them a chocolate they shouldn't be eating

Honestly though, I am in favour of giving sweets as rewards :biggrin:
I agree, make the kids feel good with stickers instead.

Will make fewer people fat.
Original post by Shanij
This question aroused on the news a while ago, people argued that
•When you reward a child, they believe they are perfect and don't continue their hard work

Whoever said that is a fool. Just a fool, man.

Original post by Donald Duck

Stickers do not make the majority of children - especially those over 8 - feel good :tongue:
We've been advised not to give out sweets so that the kids aren't overdosing on sugar and being hyperactive. I still do regardless, but I have more of a tendency to give out more permanent things, mainly from Tesco's party bag fillers aisle. I keep a stash of non food items anyway, for the kids who can't eat the gelatine in Haribo and Percy Pigs. The older the kid, the more juvenile the item. The upper sixth go mad for bubbles, because they know that their time for that kind of thing will be officially over when they leave school and they want to recapture their childhood one last time.
Original post by hopingtobeadentist
Yeah I agree, it would give the children more happiness and love towards that teacher, therefore more respect and at the end of the day, that's what most people want anyway :biggrin:

Not always. Depends how it is done.

Ie. If a teacher has no control over a class in the first place, they are hardly going to instantly gain the respect and attention of a class with sweets lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thetobbit
Not always. Depends how it is down.

Ie. If a teacher has no control over a class in the first place, they are hardly going to instantly gain the respect and attention of a class with sweets lol

This is true.
Original post by _Shmiley
Why not? Even in year 11 in German to actually make us answer questions she use to give us sweets. When we got a question right or answered she would give us a ticket, and a sweet for every three, then used it as a raffle and whoever got picked out won a bigger packet of sweets. It worked. We're all on A's and B's

Haha yeah, if they gave us money for good grades we would all be on A*s ! :biggrin:
Original post by Alexandra's Box

Stickers do not make the majority of children - especially those over 8 - feel good :tongue:

Stickers make me feel good! Especially the "I went to the dentist and I was brave" ones, (despite the fact my dentist hasn't given me one in ages)
You are never to young to enjoy stickers :biggrin:
I've just finished year 13 and my Spanish teacher was giving us sweets right until the end. We loved her for it :')
Original post by Donald Duck

Not really - A few sweets every now and again won't make us fat :rolleyes:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
We've been advised not to give out sweets so that the kids aren't overdosing on sugar and being hyperactive. I still do regardless, but I have more of a tendency to give out more permanent things, mainly from Tesco's party bag fillers aisle. I keep a stash of non food items anyway, for the kids who can't eat the gelatine in Haribo and Percy Pigs. The older the kid, the more juvenile the item. The upper sixth go mad for bubbles, because they know that their time for that kind of thing will be officially over when they leave school and they want to recapture their childhood one last time.

I like this idea, giving students permanent things will probably cause them to remember you as being a "nice person" for much longer, therefore will motivate them to do well. If you give sweets, they'll eat it and forget about it the next day. If you give something permanent when they get home they will show their parents "My teacher gave this to me" they will leave it somewhere or play with it (depending on what it is) until it gets lost, they will see it everyday and that will motivate them, "My teacher gave me this, I want to do well"
Reply 17
What? ...sweets? where the hell did you guys go to school?

what are you trained dolphins? 'Well done Timmy, now catch this chocolate in mid air with your mouth'

Just reinforcing children's dependence on instant gratification and setting them up for a hard fall in in the long run.

Children should not be receiving sweets, treats or anything of that nature from their teacher, if its someones birthday or a reason to celebrate then its fine, but the idea of using treats to reward acceptable behavior and favorable performance, is this a school or Battersea dog home?
Neither should parents, and indeed vice-versa.
Original post by cid
What? ...sweets? where the hell did you guys go to school?

what are you trained dolphins? 'Well done Timmy, now catch this chocolate in mid air with your mouth'

Just reinforcing children's dependence on instant gratification and setting them up for a hard fall in in the long run.

Children should not be receiving sweets, treats or anything of that nature from their teacher, if its someones birthday or a reason to celebrate then its fine, but the idea of using treats to reward acceptable behavior and favorable performance, is this a school or Battersea dog home?

When you were young, did you get any rewards for your good actions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending