The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Drugs- Your Experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
did every drug at once and died
ive done mephedrone ketamine and ghb for almost an year now... and you have loads of fun on drugs but from my experience it aint worth it. horrible comedown the next day, feels like the worst hangover ever that last for 2 days.

and i wasnt able to focus on anything for like 3-4 days and theres always that desire for more... i ve been havin a lot more fun with my mates now that im only drinking alcohol...

Moderation is the key though, i couldnt keep drug use to a reasonable amount so I decided it was of MY best interest to quit.

Stay safe.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 322
Original post by ArtGoblin
I used to smoke weed reasonably frequently. Because I smoked with someone who was much more experienced with it than I was, I would end up getting way to high so all I could do was sit and stare at the TV. I have watched so many films where I couldn't tell you anything that happened during it. I love it when mixed with alcohol though - they're some of the best nights I've ever had. Nothing bad has ever happened from it.

I've tried MDMA twice and the first time was just incredible. Some people might find this pathetic, but I feel like it was the best experience of my life, and nothing will ever be able to compare to it. It was that good. I did get paranoia at first and made an embarrassment of myself in front of some strangers in a club, but it decreased after a while, although I was still convinced that everyone knew I was on it. It was worth it though. I felt really sad when I felt it fading but it wasn't too bad because I still had the memory of how good I felt. The second time was a major disappointment as it was no-where near as intense.

Where did you take it? In Leeds everyone knows you're on it because everyone in the club IS on it, which reduces paranoia to nil. I reckon the 2nd time you did it you probably got worse quality drugs, because for the first 10 or so times as long as it's reasonably spaced you will still get the magic.
Am I the only one who keeps reading 'Salvia' as 'Saliva'...
Reply 324
Original post by TurboCretin
Prejudice is not based on reason or experience by definition. I think that part of the problem is that you're lumping 'drugs' into a homogenous category simply because they all happen to be illegal, and then being prejudiced against all of them on the basis of your experience of the worst consequences of the most dangerous of them. It's like judging cigarettes on the basis that alcohol can give you liver disease. My feelings about marijuana, LSD and shrooms are quite different from those about cocaine, heroin, crack and crystal meth, for example.

And whether or not something is illegal is no basis for deciding whether or not it is rightly illegal. I don't think that alcohol or cigarettes should be made illegal, but they are a darn sight more addictive and harmful than many illicit substances.

Yeah, I agree actually. I think I'm on a different page, it's not for me to dictate to someone if they themselves choose to take drugs, that's personal choice, just like it's my personal choice to not take them.

My reasons for being against the legalization of drugs are the innocent people they affect - e.g. when a baby is born addicted to drugs/the effect they can have on vulnerable people.

Obviously, the counter argument to that is of alcohol/tobacco - as addictive but legal, and still harmful.

When I say "druggies", I automatically think of heroin addicts, not someone who smokes weed or whatever on the odd occasion.

Earlier I said "drugs ruin lives", that came out totally wrong, i meant the potential (for some people) that drugs have to ruin lives. But who knows, maybe if they were legal it would actually decrease the destruction they cause, I really couldn't say either way. :dontknow:
Original post by Theroomofstudents
Am I the only one who keeps reading 'Salvia' as 'Saliva'...

yes.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 326
Original post by TheJ0ker
Who does have that right then?

Urm, I would say the "law" but I don't think you'd agree, which is fair enough.

I'd say...your own values. 'Tis an individuals choice to take what they want, my only problem is with innocent people they affect.

I don't think everyone on drugs is of sound mind, but some are aye, their choice.
Reply 327
Original post by Kibalchich
There are a lot of health professionals who believe in the legalisation of some, if not all drugs. Mainly health professionals working in substance misuse. I worked in substance misuse for 8 years, many (although not all) of my colleagues believed in legalisation or at least decriminalisation.

Yeah, I suppose decriminalization does have potential - people may be less afraid to come forward and seek help, which of course would be more positive that the fear of being victimized for it.
Reply 328
Original post by bramz19
Everybody read this. Understand it. Take it in. Good.

Indeed, that^ is my point.

I think for some, (not all) people, drug use exacerbates their problems, as would alcohol/tobacco or comfort eating.

When I said "drugs ruin lives" it came across totally wrong - my meaning behind it was, drugs have the potential to ruin lives, at least for some people. 'Tis all.
None ever. Hardly any of my friends do, but I know one, who is just this guy all over, ever other FB post is about weed or how much everyone should smoke.

2EGVq.jpg
Original post by anthonyfl
Drugs ruin lives. They kill people, they give people brain damage, they make people violent, they make people do dangerous things, they make relationships distant, they make people neglect their children, people get put in prison because of them, many young people are drawn in and eventually die of an addiction. It's always the most vulnerable that are targeted. Drug dealers don't care about you, they just want money. And they'll mix anything into drugs to make more money.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Do you drink alcohol?
For the last three years, I've been working in Ibiza every summer. Anyone that has been there even for a couple of days can tell you the drug culture is massive, so being out there for 3 months at a time means a lot of experience can be had with drugs if that's what you're interested in. Prior to my first season, I was in a relationship for three years with a guy who had a 'been there, done that' attitude to almost all drugs (cocaine, ecstasy, MDMA, LSD) but he still smoked weed everyday, and I joined him. We split up and after three years of smoking daily, I realised I was smoking weed more out a habit and didn't actually touch it again until this summer. Even then, I found it had little effect, made me sleepy and slow more than anything else, and remembered how much I'd disliked it.

I have also found this to be the case with cocaine. I tried it for the first time my first season in Ibiza and again, found it to have almost no effect. I don't know whether I was expecting it to turn me into some sort of motor mouth, but after half a gram I gave up taking any more because it was hurting my nose and my friend was acting extremely erratic and talkative so I guessed it just wasn't working for me. The next time I tried it was this summer, with a Liverpudlian I met in Space. He had so much cocaine in his hotel that I just kept doing line after line after line. Over three hours I must have taken about 1.5 grams of the stuff, and I was sitting there in silence, whilst the guy just kept talking and talking and I was actually falling asleep from listening to him. The only side effect I noticed was huge pupils and my heartbeat had increased. I don't know whether it was because I've only had bad coke or what, but I don't think I'll bother with it again, seems almost pointless!

The other drugs I have tried - ecstasy, MDMA, ketamine, and LSD - have all worked fine the majority of the time. Ecstasy can sometimes be a little hit and miss, I've had a really good time on a party boat with just one pill, and I've had times where I've done three of the same pills and it's done absolutely nothing. There was one time this summer and I took a pill about half an hour before I went to the club. As we were walking into the venue I turned to my friend only to see he had turned yellow and had strange patterns all over his skin. I went off on my own as soon as we got inside and I walked round the club all night, touching people on the head whilst saying 'oooohhh' and lighting up cigarettes and burning anyone in close proximity. I got dragged outside by a bouncer for taking my shoes off inside the main room and then somehow ended up in the VIP area with Eric Prydz before getting thrown out of there because I again took my shoes off. Ended the night on a bit of a low note - I saw some women were wearing bikinis and decided I wanted to do the same, so I took off my shorts and top before realizing I didn't have a bra on and I was practically naked. Cue lots of camera flashes and me just posing in my drugged-up state, before being thrown outside for the last time that night, still naked. I am almost certain that I had a bad pill, because I've heard they can have a lot of other things mixed into it, and I've never had a reaction like that from one pill. I woke up the next day relatively okay, but throughout the day felt progressively worse. I was lying on the beach with my friend and I actually turned to her and told her I didn't think I was going to survive. I was finding it really hard to breathe and every time I did my chest felt like it was going to collapse. I was coming down for about three days, and the experience was so horrible that I haven't touched any sort of drug since it happened about, three weeks ago.

I haven't had any bad experiences on any of the other drugs, MDMA has always been glorious when I've done it, life literally seems perfect. I find I do have to do more and more each time though in order to feel something. I always take it in crystal form, once snorted it and it was brutal, and the drip was vile, much worse than that with cocaine. I did LSD with my best friend on the beach and I spent an hour swimming on the sand thinking I was in the sea. I took ketamine once thinking it was cocaine, and I didn't take that much, so I just felt a little floaty and dreamy, like I wasn't really living. The next day though I had horrendous paranoia, I was in my apartment three stories up and all I could see behind my blind was the shadows of two men talking and pointing at me through the window. I knew it wasn't real but at the same time I couldn't stop myself from seeing it.

If you'd asked me three weeks ago about my opinions and experiences with drugs, I would have almost encouraged anyone who wants to try them to do so and I would have spoken about my experiences a lot more positively than I would now. After my 'bad pill', I've realised how much I depend on drugs when I go out, which is quite scary when you think about it. I've also met a lot of people over the last three years, especially in Ibiza who started off as casual drug users like myself and have severely declined, a couple have even died from these drug habits. I probably won't stay clear of them forever, but for the time being I'd rather not take them. It's the first time I've ever sat down and thought about it, and I found it quite scary how I've normalized my drug taking.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ellasmith
Can magic mushroom trips be scary?

Just because I never have, doesn't mean anyone else, nor myself, won't have a bad trip in the future. It's hard to predict. But with all drugs I guess it helps to be in a situation you're comfortable in first, and are aware of the consequences and around people you trust blah blah blah.

I don't have much experiance, I can probabily count my mushroom trips over 2 hands, but I've been around people who've not reacted well at all. It's not so much scary in a sensory way, but the normal things that find their way through the mushroomyness can be scary... if that makes an sense at all!
Reply 333
Original post by Xhotas
I'm eager to try new drugs and if anyone comes to me saying they want to try I'm more than happy to teach them.

However I think the most important thing about drugs is that people need to be fully educated before so much as taking their first toke on a spliff really. Ask themselves if they really are ready to be in an altered state of mind where they aren't in complete control and whether they are ready or comfortable with taking something (wrongly) illegal.

I've always had "okay" times on weed, though I don't really like the chilled out feeling it leaves me in. I prefer stimulants and feeling buzzed, however a little too much when it came to coke. I feel like I was close to an addiction, spending way too much in too short a time, literally only being able to enjoy a night in a club when I was on it. I try to put people off taking cocaine, but if they do think they want to try it I'll just make sure they have properly researched and listen to my experiences before considering it.

While I had a bad time with it, other people may not. I'm a human being, I don't think any other human regardless of laws has the right to decide what another person does with their own body. When you actually sit down and think about it, how retarded that thought alone? Take away job titles, some other guy is saying you can't eat this because he doesn't agree with it.

MDMA is just the pure bliss of drugs. I've never heard of people having a bad trip (obviously I'm not oblivious to it, it can happen) and I heavily researched it before I took it. I'm in love with it. It isn't addictive, the comedown is weird but nothing too bad and you can't take too much or you build up tolerance too quickly. It is a once a month drug and due to it's effects, I'm happy for it to stay that way.

I want to try with LSD but it's just getting a hold of it and I don't think I've fully researched it completely yet. If someone offered it to me right now I'd probably say no, I'm not that type of guy. I like to know what's going to/could happen, the comedown, the side effects, how long it stays in my system etc. before I feel comfortable taking it. I want other people who take RD's to do the same and that way prevent addiction and making a tit of themselves.

Overally, mostly pleasant. MDMA ftw.

Can I just say about the bit in bold - anyone who thinks drug-users are irresponsible, please read this. This is an example of some-one being cautious, preparing beforehand, analysing whether they are mentally prepared for taking lsd and someone who's clearly planning to research into it before they take it. This is what I wish all people who use any drug were like, as the likelihood of decriminlising them would be so much higher once the government see they can be treated with respect. Unfortunately you will always get irresponsible idiots who take anything they're offered without knowing what it is (e.g. people filming themselves taking ridiculous doses of salvia and putting it on youtube). So well done for being an example of the side of people who are responsible drug users.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you some advice with LSD. This might be kind of long, sorry but hopefully it helps :colondollar:

1. Even if you are preparing to take it on a day with people, have prepared and looked into it in advance but feel nervous/anxious on the day - DO NOT take it. Your mindset is the most important thing in determining the nature of a trip an although 'bad trips' are often a lot more rare than made out to be, it's important to be aware that you could have intense anxious feelings of anxiety for 12+ hours. On the other side, go into it with a positive and calm mind and you will potentially have one of the best nights of your life. If you are a naturally anxious person then maybe spend the day with close friends or people who are good at making you laugh and who don't take themselves too seriously.

2. Wait 2-4 hours for it to kick in. This can be annoying, but if you're at the point where anything hasn't happened after 3 hours and take another tab for the sake of it this could turn out to be a lot more intense than you first planned.

3. If you do take it and the hallucinations/visuals get too intense then make sure you have some sunglasses ready as this really does help decrease this part of the trip.

4. Take it in a place where you feel comfortable with people you're comfortable with. Set and setting are important to make sure you have an amazing time and get the best out of LSD. It's better to do it with people in case anything does go wrong than by yourself, at least for the first time.

5. You probably already know this if you've taken other stuff like MDMA before to keep the next day empty.

6. There isn't really a comedown, psychedelics in general simply lose their intensity as the hours pass. You might feel a bit washed out at the end and won't be able to do much productive work the next day but that's about it.

7. The main effects are on erowid, as well as experiences so if you want all the effects info that's the best site for it.

8. Don't do it in too much of a public place, as (a) the crowds of people might be intimidating and overwhelming and (b) your pupils will dilate and it'll be obvious you're on something which might make you paranoid.

9. Have an amazing time having your mind blown, conversations and thoughts happening that wouldn't if you were sober, amazing visuals and songs sounding completely revolutionary and like you're hearing them for the first time but 10x better. :biggrin:
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
Had very good experience with DMT. I've not had a near-death experience per se but at the peak of a DMT trip, I actually thought I had died. Which was pretty scary to put it lightly but very insightful nonetheless.

Haha, that's kinda why I asked about the second part. Many people believe that DMT is responsible for the near- death experience, possibly dreams even. Breakthroughs are always nuts.
Original post by TheJ0ker
Who does have that right then?

NO ONE apart from YOURSELF, its your body, do as you please
Original post by WhatsHisFace
Haha, that's kinda why I asked about the second part. Many people believe that DMT is responsible for the near- death experience, possibly dreams even. Breakthroughs are always nuts.

Well, DMT is naturally released by the brain (which means that everyone is in possession of a class A drug lol) during dreaming, and before you die. Although, I've read this I don't know if it is scientifically proven.

However, on said trip I did have a kind of "your life flashes before your eyes moment' in very intense detail then after that I thought I was dead. Like literally, I didn't know anything about myself; not even know whether I was male or female lol.
Original post by glousck
Can I just say about the bit in bold - anyone who thinks drug-users are irresponsible, please read this. This is an example of some-one being cautious, preparing beforehand, analysing whether they are mentally prepared for taking lsd and someone who's clearly planning to research into it before they take it. This is what I wish all people who use any drug were like, as the likelihood of decriminlising them would be so much higher once the government see they can be treated with respect. Unfortunately you will always get irresponsible idiots who take anything they're offered without knowing what it is (e.g. people filming themselves taking ridiculous doses of salvia and putting it on youtube). So well done for being an example of the side of people who are responsible drug users.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you some advice with LSD. This might be kind of long, sorry but hopefully it helps :colondollar:

1. Even if you are preparing to take it on a day with people, have prepared and looked into it in advance but feel nervous/anxious on the day - DO NOT take it. Your mindset is the most important thing in determining the nature of a trip an although 'bad trips' are often a lot more rare than made out to be, it's important to be aware that you could have intense anxious feelings of anxiety for 12+ hours. On the other side, go into it with a positive and calm mind and you will potentially have one of the best nights of your life. If you are a naturally anxious person then maybe spend the day with close friends or people who are good at making you laugh and who don't take themselves too seriously.

2. Wait 2-4 hours for it to kick in. This can be annoying, but if you're at the point where anything hasn't happened after 3 hours and take another tab for the sake of it this could turn out to be a lot more intense than you first planned.

3. If you do take it and the hallucinations/visuals get too intense then make sure you have some sunglasses ready as this really does help decrease this part of the trip.

4. Take it in a place where you feel comfortable with people you're comfortable with. Set and setting are important to make sure you have an amazing time and get the best out of LSD. It's better to do it with people in case anything does go wrong than by yourself, at least for the first time.

5. You probably already know this if you've taken other stuff like MDMA before to keep the next day empty.

6. There isn't really a comedown, psychedelics in general simply lose their intensity as the hours pass. You might feel a bit washed out at the end and won't be able to do much productive work the next day but that's about it.

7. The main effects are on erowid, as well as experiences so if you want all the effects info that's the best site for it.

8. Don't do it in too much of a public place, as (a) the crowds of people might be intimidating and overwhelming and (b) your pupils will dilate and it'll be obvious you're on something which might make you paranoid.

9. Have an amazing time having your mind blown, conversations and thoughts happening that wouldn't if you were sober, amazing visuals and songs sounding completely revolutionary and like you're hearing them for the first time but 10x better. :biggrin:

That is great advice. Actually reminded me of the person who first introduced me to psychedelics and LSD in particular, who made me research it for a good few weeks before she would sit on a trip. Erowid is a great source.
Reply 338
Original post by glousck

I think anyone that had looked into it in advance would find it difficult to not be a little nervous/anxious before they took it. Unless the nervousness/anxiousness is related to something else, as long as it's a moderate dose they're taking they should be fine. Though some meditation before, and/or some time to wait and relax (to not feel rushed) would be beneficial.
Reply 339
Original post by LaurenPhilippa
This will go round and round...

Indeed, I am prejudiced to an extent, I admit that.
I think I'm pretty justified in it though, based on my own experiences.

Yeah, I get people won't accept my specific opinion, but surely it's not hard to see where I'm coming from?

I think my points are based on the "extreme" drug takers, not people who "smoke the odd joint".

I'll be honest, I'm not a drug counselor or expert, but the only thing I can think is that they must have been made illegal for a reason?

Stay strong. Don't let these dirty addicts sway your opinion. With all the trouble tobacco and alcohol causes they want to legalse everything? Absolutely mental.

Latest