The Student Room Group

Imperial Medicine Applicants-2014 Entry

Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in Imperial and am thinking of applying there for 2014 entry. I had a look around, but couldn't find a specific thread, so I thought it'd be good to get one started (please redirect me if I missed an existig thread).

It seems so soon and its daunting to think that our applications will be sent in 3-4 months! Please use this thread to share any tips/worries/doubts etc about your application for next year's entry and we'll try to help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isabellarose
Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in Imperial and am thinking of applying there for 2014 entry. I had a look around, but couldn't find a specific thread, so I thought it'd be good to get one started (please redirect me if I missed an existig thread).

It seems so soon and its daunting to think that our applications will be sent in 3-4 months! Please use this thread to share any tips/worries/doubts etc about your application for next year's entry and we'll try to help :smile:

Hey :smile: I've been considering Imperial as well. I know right, it feels so soon. My personal statement has to be ready before the 13th July apparently :s-smilie: and I have no clue how I am going to go on to write about it. I've done my first draft, but it's not very good. How do you think your exams went? Hopefully I will get the grades to apply :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Potential Medic
Hey :smile: I've been considering Imperial as well. I know right, it feels so soon. My personal statement has to be ready before the 13th July apparently :s-smilie: and I have no clue how I am going to go on to write about it. I've done my first draft, but it's not very good. How do you think your exams went? Hopefully I will get the grades to apply :biggrin:

Woah! 13th July! Thats very soon! Is that your final draft? if not, i think its very good becasue once you get feedback, you'll have the entire summer to work on improving it... :smile:

You've probably come across this before, but in case you haven't, I found this link very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY

I still have to get started on my PS.. but i have no idea how to write it! My first drafts in for the first week of July i think...

I dont think my exams went great, but they didnt go too badly either..so I dont know what to expect on results day...:/ where else are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by Potential Medic

13th July???! Is that just for you or all the applicants?
Original post by isabellarose
Woah! 13th July! Thats very soon! Is that your final draft? if not, i think its very good becasue once you get feedback, you'll have the entire summer to work on improving it... :smile:

You've probably come across this before, but in case you haven't, I found this link very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY

I still have to get started on my PS.. but i have no idea how to write it! My first drafts in for the first week of July i think...

I dont think my exams went great, but they didnt go too badly either..so I dont know what to expect on results day...:/ where else are you thinking of applying to?

I think that would be my final draft actually, because my teacher said that we should have our part of the application ready by the end of the summer term so that she can do her part by September. Year 13s however said they had the whole of the summer holidays to make changes to it and work on their personal statement, so I think our school is just trying to scare us off a little and get us started.

Actually I haven't come across it and it's very useful thank you! :biggrin:

Oh I'm sure you should be fine with the personal statement. Once you get started, you don't want to stop.

I'm sure you've done absolutely fine on your exams. The majority of people had mixed feelings, so fingers crossed that the boundaries are low! I'm thinking of applying to Keele, Nottingham, Leeds, Imperial and St. Georges. All 5 look really good, but obviously I will have to get rid of a choice, but hopefully the UKCAT will give me a better idea about it. Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by Oh, me! me.
13th July???! Is that just for you or all the applicants?

Lol that's just for me :P My school likes to give us a hard time and get everything sorted early, so they've told us that we should aim to get it done by then. :smile:
Reply 6
Might apply possibly maybe, but the prospects of bmat are scaring me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by 344302
Might apply possibly maybe, but the prospects of bmat are scaring me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do not fear. I did Imperials BMAT twice . You just need to make the cut-off, but that isn't enough, as your ps and reference must be solid.
Reply 8
Anyone been to the open day
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 344302

I wanted to go to the open day, but unfortunately it was full :frown:
Original post by 344302

I went a long while ago. An it was pretty awesome actually. Plus there was a speech my the current med student union president - who basically told us all about the social life. Then there was a mock interview. It's a sort of serious environment but you can feel how much people enjoy there course. And the library is just amazing (which is a huge selling point for me). It's definitely worth a visit

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to the open day last week - it looked amazing, although really expensive. The campus was really nice (partly from the sunny weather!) and the course sounds really good and varied in teaching styles, as well as having a whole student union just for med students! Unfortunately we couldn't see inside the accommodation but apparently there are 360 degree tours online.
Reply 12
I'm currently trying to choose between whether to apply to Imperial or UCL. I think applying to both would be quite risky as they are both competitive, so I'm trying to apply using my strengths and which one would be more likely to accept me. Does anyone know any differences in the Imperial and UCL application process, such as what aspect of the application they each place most emphasis on (BMAT, IGCSE, Personal Statement, etc.)?

Visited the imperial campus and love it! Many buildings are quite modern and really nice, and its in all in a great location!
Reply 13
Wow, time is flying! Haha. I'm applying for Imperial; it appears it'll be my likely first choice. I didn't visit on the Open Day exactly, but I visited on a medical school application workshop hosted there by the student union back in October last year. I actually loved it, the accommodation, surrounding location, the SK campus, the modern buildings.. it would be a fantastic place of study. Good luck guys!
Reply 14
Original post by sophiemed
I'm currently trying to choose between whether to apply to Imperial or UCL. I think applying to both would be quite risky as they are both competitive, so I'm trying to apply using my strengths and which one would be more likely to accept me. Does anyone know any differences in the Imperial and UCL application process, such as what aspect of the application they each place most emphasis on (BMAT, IGCSE, Personal Statement, etc.)?

Visited the imperial campus and love it! Many buildings are quite modern and really nice, and its in all in a great location!

As far as I'm aware they're similar in terms of their selection process and look for similar things...
I had another look at both just now.
UCL: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/faqs/select.pdf

Imperial: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/mbbsmedicine/entryrequirements

I'm struggling to distinguish; I guess a strong applicant for UCL would also make a strong applicant for Imperial, from what I'm reading
Reply 15
Original post by DrumChops
As far as I'm aware they're similar in terms of their selection process and look for similar things...
I had another look at both just now.
UCL: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/faqs/select.pdf

Imperial: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/mbbsmedicine/entryrequirements

I'm struggling to distinguish; I guess a strong applicant for UCL would also make a strong applicant for Imperial, from what I'm reading

From talking to past applicants, it seems that Imperial puts a way bigger emphasis on BMAT. I know that Imperial has a cut-off, and those who do not make that cut-off receive no interview. BMAT is then again looked at after the interview stage. However many UCL medics I've talked to say they did not do particularly well on the BMAT, but as long as the rest of your application is very good, UCL is willing to overlook that. So apply to your strengths like that, I guess :smile: If BMAT is not your strong point, apply to UCL, which is generally quite similar to Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
From talking to past applicants, it seems that Imperial puts a way bigger emphasis on BMAT. I know that Imperial has a cut-off, and those who do not make that cut-off receive no interview. BMAT is then again looked at after the interview stage. However many UCL medics I've talked to say they did not do particularly well on the BMAT, but as long as the rest of your application is very good, UCL is willing to overlook that. So apply to your strengths like that, I guess :smile: If BMAT is not your strong point, apply to UCL, which is generally quite similar to Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, thanks for that :smile:
Reply 17
Guys does anyone know which one out of UCL and Imperial put more emphasis on gcse's?

Thanks
Reply 18

Original post by ergo30
Guys does anyone know which one out of UCL and Imperial put more emphasis on gcse's?

Thanks

I'm in the same position as you guys. I was leaning towards UCL because they mentioned that they appreciate breadth ( I do History) but I'm now leaning towards Imperial after visiting the open day (how cool is graduating from Royal Albert Hall and 15 pounds gym membership for life!). I agree that Imperial lean more towards BMAT and from what I see UCL seem to put emphasis on AS grades. Not sure about GCSEs though; I have strong GCSEs and would like to apply to my strengths.
Hello guys
i have finished my IB exams and i am holding an unconditional offer for deferred entry at Imperial, meaning for 2014 like you!!!

if you have ANY questions for bmat, ukcat, imperial please feel free to ask!

and from someone who passed the application cycle i wish you all good luck and stay positive throughout the year!

Quick Reply

Latest