The Student Room Group

D1 Jan 2012 Edexcel Post-Exam Discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Extricated
95...D1 is messed up..from my FURTHER MATHS class there was 95 (me), 83, 80, 54, 52. All were convinced of 90+ after the exam..

Original post by DavidCrow
95 ums :biggrin:

I also got 95, it means we got 73/75 cause my teacher told me my raw mark, and i lost marks on the definitions. It seems that D1 is HUGELY luck based
Somehow I managed to get 93 even though I thought I had messed up on the definitions and linear programming.
Original post by .Username.
I also got 95, it means we got 73/75 cause my teacher told me my raw mark, and i lost marks on the definitions. It seems that D1 is HUGELY luck based

I lost 2 on the route inspection, after crossing out the right answer :tongue:
Reply 323
93, lost one on the bubble sort - not doing an 8th pass. Lost another on linear programming with the one mark describe what the inequalities mean as I didn't read the inequalities properly. Lost the last mark on either the describing the dummies or one of my definitions.
Original post by DavidCrow
I lost 2 on the route inspection, after crossing out the right answer :tongue:

So technically we got 100 for the maths in this module if you dont include the writing crap
Reply 325
What was the 100 UMS boundary?
Reply 326
Original post by Claree
What was the 100 UMS boundary?

75/75... this was the case for all Edexcel GCE Maths exams this Jan, apart from S1 which I believe was 72/75 for 100 UMS.
Original post by Arsey
Fairly kind paper

Solve the route inspection, means you MUST start and end at the same point

hi arsey, I'm taking this exam in June. I'm wondering if there's a minimum threshold for the D1 mark in order for it to count - ie. if I get 0 in D1, would it still count towards my A* at A-level? I have already got 480+ from my other 5 modules, so I'm wondering if they have some sort of minimum mark for any module
how did you guys do well in D1?
I mean I did all the past papers, thought the jan 2012 paper was good and I still end up with an E!
So just wondering how you managed this?
thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 329
Original post by MoonstoneCloak
how did you guys do well in D1?
I mean I did all the past papers, thought the jan 2012 paper was good and I still end up with an E!
So just wondering how you managed this?
thanks

The boundaries were quite high in January. But if you're losing 20-30 marks you must be going seriously wrong on a question. My advice would be get to a stage where you can do all of the algorithms, and the main parts of questions. Look at where you go wrong and understand why you went wrong, then make sure you don't make that mistake again.
Reply 330
Why is it that I keep hearing these bad reports of people thinking they got full marks or 90% and ending up getting C/D grades specifically for this module? I am really worried about this now. I think I know the content well but why are people doing so poorly? Is it just because they are terrible at decision maths?
Original post by WaNaBe
The boundaries were quite high in January. But if you're losing 20-30 marks you must be going seriously wrong on a question. My advice would be get to a stage where you can do all of the algorithms, and the main parts of questions. Look at where you go wrong and understand why you went wrong, then make sure you don't make that mistake again.

I think probably that's where I must have messed up!
Original post by Zhy
Why is it that I keep hearing these bad reports of people thinking they got full marks or 90% and ending up getting C/D grades specifically for this module? I am really worried about this now. I think I know the content well but why are people doing so poorly? Is it just because they are terrible at decision maths?

They probably either:
don't write enough down to make their method clear - this can be very expensive on D1
apply algorithms in a careless/casual fashion. You have to be precise, for instance when using Dijkstra's algorithm. Many people on here got 115 for the answer to this question on the January 2012 paper when it should have been 114 - their order of labelling the vertices must have been wrong.
Reply 333
Hey, could someone please explain Question 4a where it asks for the Shortest Time/Route. I got the end to be 114 and I also thought that that means that the shortest time must be 114 as well, but you're saying it's 115.

Does this mean that whatever value is in the last box is not actually the shortest time and I still have to find it?

Thanks.
Original post by Safe
Hey, could someone please explain Question 4a where it asks for the Shortest Time/Route. I got the end to be 114 and I also thought that that means that the shortest time must be 114 as well, but you're saying it's 115.

Does this mean that whatever value is in the last box is not actually the shortest time and I still have to find it?

Thanks.

You are right that the last box is 114 and the answer for the shortest time is 114. Many people applied the algorithm carelessly so got the answer to be 115 for a).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending