The Student Room Group

May 2011 AQA Philosophy Exams

Hey,
I am going to sit my AQA AS Philosophy exams on the 16th and 24th of May in Oxford and am quite worried since it is my first time sitting A Level exams!

Do any of you know what type of questions they will be asking? Because I haven't learned all the topics of Philosophy mainly "Why Should I Be Moral?" and "Reason and Experience" for Unit 1, and "Free Will and Determinism" and "God and the World" for Unit 2.

Any of you also taking these exams? Any tips on revision or practice questions I can study with?

Thanks! :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

hey, i am how come u aint taken any A level exams yet?
btw i got loads of tips
Reply 2
I started being home schooled this year, so it is my first time doing A Levels!
Are you also taking the AQA exams this May? Do you know if we need to answer questions from all the Units or If we can just answer 2 topics from Unit 1 and2 topics form Unit 2? I really hope I can at least get a B!
Reply 3
And which tips do ya have??? :smile:
Original post by iomaraxay
I started being home schooled this year, so it is my first time doing A Levels!
Are you also taking the AQA exams this May? Do you know if we need to answer questions from all the Units or If we can just answer 2 topics from Unit 1 and2 topics form Unit 2? I really hope I can at least get a B!

hey , hows it like home schooling, was it your wn choice.
if you tell me what units you are studying then it'll be easier for me to tell you.
tc
Reply 6
yeah in the start home schooling was kinda hard, but once i got the hang of it it's actually not that bad! I'm taking philosophy AS and AS English Literature: world war one :smile:
:smile: How is everyone feeling about the exam tomorrow? :smile:
Oh my, I'm actually terrified about this exam tomorrow!
i'm so scared :| doing external world and tolerance
I was gonna do tolerance but realised i errr.. dont understand any of it so i've been frantically revising god and the world today. it's not going well!
Original post by roseleanorlaw
I was gonna do tolerance but realised i errr.. dont understand any of it so i've been frantically revising god and the world today. it's not going well!

doesn't you college only teach you two? we only got taught tolerance and external world
Paper 1: We did reason and experience, and why should I be governed

Paper 2: We did Tolerance and Free will and determinism

Overall: the questions were fairly great; however this must mean that the grade boundaries are high :frown:
Original post by Gummy'bear94
Paper 1: We did reason and experience, and why should I be governed

Paper 2: We did Tolerance and Free will and determinism

Overall: the questions were fairly great; however this must mean that the grade boundaries are high :frown:

It doesn't really :smile: I did Paper 1 last January and thought we got great questions... and the grade boundary for an A was 60%.
Really - that's awesome :biggrin: I hope it remains almost the same'ish for the summer results..
Reply 15
Yeah, the Unit 1 and Unit 2 papers for philosophy were not that difficult, I did:

Reason and Experience + Morality for Unit 1

and Knowledge and the External World + Free Will and Determinism for Unit 2.

All the 15 markers were easily answerable and the 30 markers were generally fair, I hope it went as well for everyone as I found it did for me. :smile: (hopefully) :s-smilie:
Original post by DemolitionLovers
doesn't you college only teach you two? we only got taught tolerance and external world

we did tolerance, external world and god and the world, but i was fairly confident with regards to the external world stuff.

...but evidently not because i got a D and an E! even though i'd been getting As and Bs all year in my essays. i was gutted, nobody in our college got above a D overall.
Original post by roseleanorlaw
we did tolerance, external world and god and the world, but i was fairly confident with regards to the external world stuff.

...but evidently not because i got a D and an E! even though i'd been getting As and Bs all year in my essays. i was gutted, nobody in our college got above a D overall.

Don't worry, I was gutted when I came out with a B overall, never got under an A! Are you resitting?
Reply 18
Original post by DemolitionLovers
Don't worry, I was gutted when I came out with a B overall, never got under an A! Are you resitting?

Hey, i was similar, i got A's and B's all year and came out with a C?! I'm resitting in a couple of days, what do you think will come up? I did morality, reason and experience, free will and determinism and god and the world

Also any tips?? thanks :smile:
Original post by Ttorria
Hey, i was similar, i got A's and B's all year and came out with a C?! I'm resitting in a couple of days, what do you think will come up? I did morality, reason and experience, free will and determinism and god and the world

Also any tips?? thanks :smile:

I'm resitting on Wednesday too. I have no idea how you have revised all of those topics! I've only done morality and reason and experience. For R&E I'm pretty sure conceptual schemes and innate ideas will come up.

Just make sure that you put enough points down roughly 4-5 and follow them through with what the philosophers/theory says, any criticisms, any responses and how it leaves the theory :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending