The Student Room Group

Inaccurate films that **** you off

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I think it's cute that you're so enraged over it op.

xx
Reply 61
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman

Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I thought it was a fantastic movie! I must read the books sometime!

I thought the movie was absolutely abysmal, as if somehow Count Olaf had filmed it himself. It was poor in every respect, someone should redo the whole series.
They're films. They're supposed to be inaccurate.
Sunshine was incredibly scientifically inaccurate. I mean ''re-igniting'' the Sun with only materials found on Earth, what the ****?!

Still enjoyed the film though lol.
Reply 64
Disaster Movie.
The Hurt Locker. A thousand times the Hurt Locker.

It was marketed as being one of the most realistic war films around, the irony was it has to have been one of the least realistic I've ever seen.
Reply 66
Any film depicting america as the saviours of the world in WW2.

Any American film that portrays Montgomery. They really hate that guy.
Reply 67
Disney's Hercules. Since Hera wasn't his mum and tried to kill him... it seems Disney may have slightly deviated from the original tale.
Reply 68
'Leap Year' was a terrible film for this. If you haven't seen it(doubt anyone has!) it's a romcom set in Ireland. The girlfriend is flying to Ireland to propose to her boyfriend there, because it's apparently acceptable for the girl to propose in Ireland on a leap day(:dontknow:) and her boyfriend happens to be there already for some contrived reason.

Anyway, it starts off badly with stereotypical Irish people(a priest!) on the plane('Gaelic Air'). Due to bad weather, instead of Dublin the plane has to land in 'Cardiff, Wales'. So that was the most convenient airport for a plane from the USA, was it? Were the other Irish airports full? :erm:
The genius of a main character then decides to take a boat to Cork. Not Dublin where she actually wants to go, but Cork. The weather worsens again however, so she's forced to land in Dingle. On the WEST COAST!! A good 200 miles further from Cardiff than Dublin is!! WTF?!
The boat drops her off on the desolate beach (in this parallel world, the only thing in Dingle seems to be a twee pub) and then apparently braves the storm back to Cardiff, leaving her with some roguish guy with an 'Irish' accent. He offers to drive her to Dublin, but seems to just drive around country roads randomly for a couple of hours until some robbers in a van steal her suitcase.
It's okay though - they manage to walk to Tipperary. Just a short walk of 166km or so. :nothing:

They then go to a B&B, and need to pretend to be married. Y'know, because all B&B owners in Ireland are uptight and judgemental Catholics that wouldn't let unmarried people have a room, of course!

Later they crash someone's wedding and she manages to concuss the bride when her physics-defying shoe falls off while dancing and smacks into the bride in the face. Also wander pointlessly around a castle for a bit.

Anyway, eventually they somehow teleport(I assume) to Dublin, and the main character decides to stay with the Irish man. Despite him managing to prolong a relatively simple journey from Dingle to Dublin to about four days long, he's lovely enough for her to completely forget about her would-be fiancé. And then that's the end. Maybe it's entertaining enough for Americans, but it's just frustrating for anyone with vague geographical knowledge of Ireland, or a concept of what a real Irish accent is. :colonhash:

Sorry; I could rant about this film for days.:colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by lukas1051
I think that when it comes to watching Hollywood blockbusters you have to take them with a pinch of salt and accept the fact that they may not be 100% inaccurate, but every now and then there is a film that is contains such abhorrent scientific or historical inaccuracies they simply cannot be forgiven.

Last night I watched 'The Core' on TV. The film has been around for a few years but this was the first time I had watched it, and let me just say that I have never been so angry with a film in my life. In this film, the Earth's core stops spinning for no apparent reason which threatens the planet, so a group of scientists build a ship that can travel to the centre of the Earth so they can set off some nuclear explosions to get it spinning again. Now there are a number of problems with this:

a) Why would the Earth's core randomly stop spinning? Even if if this were to happen the energy dissipated from the sudden stop of an iron ball the size of the moon would be enormous, where did it all go?

b) In this film they dig to the centre of the Earth. Bear in mind our planet is about 6000km deep and in real life we haven't dug any deeper than about 15km because the pressures and temperatures make it literally impossible. Their explanation? A magical laser that can dig through anything and a ship made of unobtanium (seriously). Sorry, what? Where has this technology been all our lives? Bear in mind this isn't a film set on a technologically advanced alien planet in the year 2990, it's a film set on Earth, right now.

c) The plan to get the Earth's core spinning again is to set off some nuclear bombs. This is even more retarded that the bomb in Armageddon that can apparently blow apart an asteroid the size of Texas. I believe I have already mentioned that the core is a big iron ball the size of the moon, but sure a couple of well placed nukes will get it spinning again.

d) At the end of the film the crew simply fly out from the centre of Earth and emerge at the surface. Never mind the increased gravitational pull acting against them, or the fact that everything would simply collapse inwards filling the hole, they have a magic ship that can do anything.

Sorry but it doesn't take a geophysics professor to tell you just how stupid this film is, it genuinely made me angry.

So that's my rant, what about you TSR? Which films are so inaccurate they genuinely annoy you? Scientific inaccuracies, historical inaccuracies, massive plot holes, whatever, which films are just so stupid they cannot be forgiven?

They could have just dug a deep hole and dropped the bombs down the hole, no need to travel down there.
Reply 70
Braveheart
Reply 71
Harry Potter. A ginger kid with friends? **** off...

lol at the neg rage :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH

Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
The Superman film where he had to choose which missile to stop because he wasn't fast enough to stop both of them, when he is a being that can travel at about the speed of light and would've been able to easily stop them both in under a second. So unrealistic :fuhrer:

The speed of Superman (along with strength etc) changes with different iterations, however he has never been able to travel as quickly as light. It is normally accepted that he is quicker than a fired bullet but not by how much, although it is probably about the speed of the fastest modern jet plane.
Reply 73
Original post by modini
OK I absolutely LOVE Jurassic Park, one of my favourite franchises. But the Velociraptors in that weren't Velociraptors at all, they were something else (possibly Deinonychus). Didn't piss me off, just thought I'd mention it.

My favourite film of all time, but to be fair Deinonychus was sometimes referred to as Velociraptors when the film was made. But yeah, they took a lot of artistic license in how they portrayed the dinosaurs.

What. Was. That.
Reply 75
Troy :angry:

(Although Brad Pitt is quite nice :biggrin:)

Edit: Braveheart is the most annoying - even more annoying than the flagrant inaccuracies in Troy :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
The core is probably one of the most scientifically inaccurate films out there. That and virtually all other films which refer to "evolution" - a concept hollywood evidently has no grasp of.

Aside from the complete and utter physics fail which takes place throuhgout the whole movie - it was the last little insult that gets me the worst. Right at the end, one of the characters uses "whale song" (which we hear) to locate the others. The film then shows a pod of orcas.. which are in fact dolphins and make whistling/clicking noises, not "whale songs".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Mess.
The speed of Superman (along with strength etc) changes with different iterations, however he has never been able to travel as quickly as light. It is normally accepted that he is quicker than a fired bullet but not by how much, although it is probably about the speed of the fastest modern jet plane.

I remember he once beat the flash in a race(and if I'm right, it was around the universe, which would make him much quicker than light), which I think would make him quicker than a jet.
Original post by Mazzini
Troy :angry:

(Although Brad Pitt is quite nice :biggrin:)

Edit: Braveheart is the most annoying - even more annoying than the flagrant inaccuracies in Troy :angry:

Tell me about it. My favourite bit is when Achilleus cuts the head off the statue of "Apollo". No one seems to realise it's actually a statue of Herakles. :frown:
Reply 79
As a space engineering researcher, Armageddon is quite annoying.

For example, on the asteroid they're flying in their ships over it, and they have the thrusts on the WHOLE time, like an aircraft. But in space, with no atmosphere, a continuous burn would just keep the spacecraft accelerating and accelerating. Yet they just fly like aircraft over the asteroid.

Then there's the noises of the spacecraft from outside in space, of which Star Trek and Star Wars (and every other space film) are equally guilty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending