The Student Room Group

Feedback on A2 English Lit. exam result (AQA LITB3)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chihiro94

Actually, what texts did everyone study. There was one A in school, and he did totally different texts to us (night class v ours)

Macbeth for A, and for B, Faustus, Dracula and The Bloody Chamber
Reply 21
Original post by hideousnight
Macbeth for A, and for B, Faustus, Dracula and The Bloody Chamber

Did Macbeth for A too, and the Bloody Chamber for B. Just cannot firgure this out :/ Do you think there's any chance they'll carry out an enqury?
Reply 22
Did Macbeth for A too, and the Bloody Chamber for B. Just cannot firgure this out :/ Do you think there's any chance they'll carry out an enqury?

I'm not sure. Last year they didn't remark our centre even though all the papers were done terribly. I don't know if everyone else has the same problem last year, maybe this year it's across the country, then I suppose they'd have to.
Reply 23
First of all, I feel very sorry for all those students who didn't achieve the grade they felt they deserved. I am an experienced English Literature teacher also very concerned about the marks some of my students received. There were 3 A's, 3 B's, 5 C's and the rest D, E, U. At least one clear A grade student gained a C. All of my class worked ridiculously hard, so did I. They knew the AOs, the Gothic and many quotations. I have asked AQA to send someone out to speak to me and we are getting papers back and remarks so I will post again when I know more. My personal view is that each of my students achieved approx one grade lower than they should and I do not know what else I/they could have done.
Reply 24
Original post by Solera1847
First of all, I feel very sorry for all those students who didn't achieve the grade they felt they deserved. I am an experienced English Literature teacher also very concerned about the marks some of my students received. There were 3 A's, 3 B's, 5 C's and the rest D, E, U. At least one clear A grade student gained a C. All of my class worked ridiculously hard, so did I. They knew the AOs, the Gothic and many quotations. I have asked AQA to send someone out to speak to me and we are getting papers back and remarks so I will post again when I know more. My personal view is that each of my students achieved approx one grade lower than they should and I do not know what else I/they could have done.

So glad to hear a teacher's view on this. I myself have been predicted a B and ended up with an E. I knew from last year that the marking is harsh (I expected a B and ended up with a C and I was the highest in class) so I thought the worst I'd end up with is another C. Oh the shock I had when I saw my result... :frown:
Our teacher is also calling back our papers and I honestly hope that AQA does something about this. If nothing changes, what is the point of re-taking? We'd still be doing the same thing our teachers told us to do, and AQA will still mark our papers as harshly. So the chances that I'd end up with another E on my re-take is high.
I'm also having a meeting with the sixth form director this coming week and I'm gonna bring this issue up.
I hope we figure out what went wrong soon. I've said this many times, and I'll say it again, I will NOT leave this college with an E on my record.
Reply 25
Original post by hanisb
So glad to hear a teacher's view on this. I myself have been predicted a B and ended up with an E. I knew from last year that the marking is harsh (I expected a B and ended up with a C and I was the highest in class) so I thought the worst I'd end up with is another C. Oh the shock I had when I saw my result... :frown:
Our teacher is also calling back our papers and I honestly hope that AQA does something about this. If nothing changes, what is the point of re-taking? We'd still be doing the same thing our teachers told us to do, and AQA will still mark our papers as harshly. So the chances that I'd end up with another E on my re-take is high.
I'm also having a meeting with the sixth form director this coming week and I'm gonna bring this issue up.
I hope we figure out what went wrong soon. I've said this many times, and I'll say it again, I will NOT leave this college with an E on my record.

Sames going on with my school. Apperently the headteachers looking into, but they can't recall all the papers and get remarking, so a few of us are getting them back for the teachers to look over and demand a remark for the whole centre if it's way off.

Apperently though, everyone always does way better in the summer, but it doesn't make sense, becuase the works the same, the amount of efforts the same, I highly doubt anyone knows any more to make much of a difference.

I'd quite like to find if any centres did really well. Surely they have to notice that something is really wrong unless there are good results to balance it out (unless it's purposedly done to make money from June resits **dons conspiracy hat**)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Sames going on with my school. Apperently the headteachers looking into, but they can't recall all the papers and get remarking, so a few of us are getting them back for the teachers to look over and demand a remark for the whole centre if it's way off.

Apperently though, everyone always does way better in the summer, but it doesn't make sense, becuase the works the same, the amount of efforts the same, I highly doubt anyone knows any more to make much of a difference.

I'd quite like to find if any centres did really well. Surely they have to notice that something is really wrong unless there are good results to balance it out (unless it's purposedly done to make money from June resits **dons conspiracy hat**)

This happened at my sixth form too. People who had done really well last year, getting A's got E's and D's. One girl in my class who holds an offer from Cambridge got a D. It's really weird though because the people who didn't perform well last year did surprisingly well, even my teacher was confused. I got 95% in AS but only a C in this exam, its disappointing after how much effort I put in.
Reply 27
Original post by Maple
This happened at my sixth form too. People who had done really well last year, getting A's got E's and D's. One girl in my class who holds an offer from Cambridge got a D. It's really weird though because the people who didn't perform well last year did surprisingly well, even my teacher was confused. I got 95% in AS but only a C in this exam, its disappointing after how much effort I put in.

That happened too with us. The people who got the higher grades (still only C's) are the ones who purposdley did little to no revision, for various reasons. (not because they couldn't be bothered but because they thought it was too early/wanted to focus on other subjects.)
Reply 28
Can I ask what texts people studied? My students did Macbeth, Frankenstein and the Bloody Chamber. ( and they read them before we started the A2 course) There are clearly important concerns here. One of my students got a grade A last year and has never submitted an essay of less than a B (and I am a harsh marker) ever. She achieved a mid C on this paper. I am glad so many of you are having scripts returned/remarks. However, unless your colleges are paying this can become expensive.
Interestingly, I did have a student who got an E last year who achieved a B. (she only got a D in her AS resit)
I have taught AQA for many years and find this all very distressing. As I said before, I am meeting with AQA in 3/4 weeks and will post any feedback I receive.
Ahh english lit.... I bet you didn't make plan before you started writing did you now?? So im guessing that the essay you wrote was irellevant and lacking the main AOs. You probably wrote about the stuff you wish had come up and didnt go about planning the answer to the question given. so next time read the question and plan your answer.... then start writing.
Reply 30
Original post by Solera1847
Can I ask what texts people studied? My students did Macbeth, Frankenstein and the Bloody Chamber. ( and they read them before we started the A2 course)

We studied Doctor Faustus, The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and Dracula.
Section A I answered the question on Doctor Faustus but I don't remember what the questions in section B were...
Done this exam last year (June 2011)

Firstly, AQA are truly unpredictable, there has been huge discrepancies with regards to the marking of our scripts. A girl in my class who got a C at GCSE and who was on course for a D/E managed to score 120/120 in the LITB1 exam, teachers called back her script - were unanimous in that she had been stupidly over-marked but of course weren't going to go for a re-mark - she was just lucky.

AQA kind of screwed me over tbh - my breakdown was as follows:

LITB1 (Jun 2010) - 84/120
LITB1 (Jan 2011) - 92/120 (I called my paper back, got it marked independently by 3 teachers at different sixth form's/colleges who all agreed I was under-marked roughly 8-10 marks) I sent off for a re-mark and it came back at 72/80 UMS. Needless to say I was devastated but I was able to keep my 84 though
LITB2 (Jun 2010)- 72/80
LITB3 (Jun 2011) - 106/120
LITB4 (June 2011) - 72/80

I got my A overall - but the stress I was under was disgusting. I was convinced that I had missed my offer for medical school. Moral of this post is - if you get your paper back and feel you deserve a re-mark, do not waste your money. You will lost £44 and feel like a bigger mug.

Your mentality now should be - I have a shot again in June and that I'm going to make it count. A lot of teachers feel they know what the examiners want, when clearly they don't. What you can do to ensure you give yourself the best shot is to learn the AO's. Make sure every point you make has purpose, that it is well supported by apt quotes and that most importantly you answer the question. Don't analyse a quote for the sake of it, show the examiner that everything you're writing is a conscious decision.

I sincerely wish you all the best of luck. I have some exemplar material from the exam board. If you're interested, send me a pm with your e-mail address and I'll do my best to get back to you. Can't guarantee it'll be soon, but I'll do my best.

All the best :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Nightufury
Ahh english lit.... I bet you didn't make plan before you started writing did you now?? So im guessing that the essay you wrote was irellevant and lacking the main AOs. You probably wrote about the stuff you wish had come up and didnt go about planning the answer to the question given. so next time read the question and plan your answer.... then start writing.

I did make a plan. I am aware of the AOs. I didn't have any specific question I wanted to come up. I got 120/120 in the AS exam and got an Oxford interview for English Literature. You quite clearly do not understand the point of this thread, so please do not post irrelevant and deliberately cruel comments.
Reply 33
can anyone help me with litb4?
have to compare northanger abbey and picture of dorian gray and to what extent is love driven by socially and culturally expectations
Original post by atticushanx
personally, i am SO angry about the results of the English January exam. not for myself, i got a C, which is what i was expecting despite the fact i need a B, but it was a middle C which wasnt very good as i have been B/high C boarder line all year. HOWEVER it is not just your college as our school has some brilliant students, some with offers from Oxford who have never submitted anything lower than an A get E's in this exam. some others who were high B/ A achievers got a C and one girl in particular who always submits A grade/ B grade work on an off day ended up with a U. because of this i don't trust the marking. i know that i probably did get a C, however for the sake of these people there needs to be a whole group remark as MOST people in our year recieved really low marks like D's and E's despite never working any lower than a C. because of this i really don't trust the examiners and it makes me so worried for what i will actually get in my resit and my last chance before uni! another thing which i think is quite suspicious is the retakes? not just for english (although this did happen to me and other people in english) but many people got the same mark??? is this the same in other colleges?

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED IN MY CLASS!!! A girl who has an oxford offer got an e and my friend who always gets a's and b's got a u!! I have never achieved below a b in an exam and got an a at as level english lit but came out with a d! On the other end of the spectrum a girl who sits on her phone in class, hasn't properly read the texts and got a c last year in the exam got an a this time?!? Something crazy has gone on!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
I think there need to be a lot of teachers and principals questioning AQA over this. Print out the forum comments and show them to people at school/college. Although there is only a section of those that sat the exam posting on here, the comments are remarkably similar. I am so glad I put my students in for the January exam as at least they have another chance but they are now understandably stressed and confused.
Reply 36
I am also not happy with the resulst this year!
I always get A's have never underacheived in my life, got a good ELAT score and an interview at Oxford - but came out with a C in this January exam ... and barely a C at that!! :frown:
Don't know what happened since I revised as well as I usually do, and still failed? Gald it's not just me who's had this problem, but am annoyed for all of us!
Reply 37
This will be a little irrelevant, but I have similar doubts about AQA's AS LITB1 exam which I sat in January.
Out of my whole class (of 10 people), only one got a low C, three got D (including me, all were predicted B/A) and the rest got Es and Us.
I was rather disappointed when I found out my results- at GCSE, I managed to achieve A* for both lang and lit without any problems, and on practice papers prior to the exam I never got lower than a medium B. And, worst of all, I walked out of that exam feeling super confident- I thought it was the easiest exam of the season.
It is rather ironic that I got great results in other subjects, but the one I thought the best about turned out to be my worst.

Now, I knew all the texts inside out, all the AOs, memorised relevant critics' views and etc, but still only managed a D! Needless to say that I went to my teacher and wanted the paper back to at least see what went wrong, but was told it's a bit useless since they will take months to come back anyway. Now I'm going to have to resit in the summer, and hope for the best.
Reply 38
Original post by Vikasi
This will be a little irrelevant, but I have similar doubts about AQA's AS LITB1 exam which I sat in January.
Out of my whole class (of 10 people), only one got a low C, three got D (including me, all were predicted B/A) and the rest got Es and Us.
I was rather disappointed when I found out my results- at GCSE, I managed to achieve A* for both lang and lit without any problems, and on practice papers prior to the exam I never got lower than a medium B. And, worst of all, I walked out of that exam feeling super confident- I thought it was the easiest exam of the season.
It is rather ironic that I got great results in other subjects, but the one I thought the best about turned out to be my worst.

Now, I knew all the texts inside out, all the AOs, memorised relevant critics' views and etc, but still only managed a D! Needless to say that I went to my teacher and wanted the paper back to at least see what went wrong, but was told it's a bit useless since they will take months to come back anyway. Now I'm going to have to resit in the summer, and hope for the best.

Yeaah, a bit **** isn't it? Wait no, A LOT. It was the same for me last year. I was predicted a B, and got a C. Nobody in my class received higher than me. I was lucky. So for A2, knowing that their marking is harsh, I was expecting another C. And the shock I had when I saw an E.... sigh....
Our teachers are trying to get some of our papers back to see what went wrong, but AQA told him it could take up to two months. I don't care though. I do want my paper back. It's the only I'll know what went wrong, and therefore can do better on my retake in the summer.
Original post by Vikasi

Original post by hanisb
Yeaah, a bit **** isn't it? Wait no, A LOT. It was the same for me last year. I was predicted a B, and got a C. Nobody in my class received higher than me. I was lucky. So for A2, knowing that their marking is harsh, I was expecting another C. And the shock I had when I saw an E.... sigh....
Our teachers are trying to get some of our papers back to see what went wrong, but AQA told him it could take up to two months. I don't care though. I do want my paper back. It's the only I'll know what went wrong, and therefore can do better on my retake in the summer.

you can get a priority photocopy of your script for a bit more money (£11.90) and they come within a week if you don't want to wait 2 months for the original :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending