The Student Room Group

Anyone else missing school because of revision?

I am a year 12 student doing four A level essay subjects and am planning to miss a few school days a week till my exams start, and probably the days in between the exams for my revision. I can not concentrate at school at all and i find the revision lessons that the teachers organize useless as I understand the content. I just need more time to memorize everything and do past papers.
We are not allowed to do that in my school but I am breaking the rules for the sake of my future :colondollar:
anyone else doing this? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

I was thinking about doing this as we AS students have NO STUDY LEAVE.
Reply 2
LMAO I have planned to do the same thing. Infact, I am going to take the whole week of before my series of exams start, which is one after the other for the whole week. I am an AS student too. :wink:
Reply 3
I'm an A2 student, I'm taking the day before off so I have some more time for revision because study leave doesn't start until june and I have an exam before that. Unless they are tying up some last minute topics I can't see it'd be a problem :smile:
Reply 4
Our school is quite weird, they are giving us a MONTH OFF after we finish all our exams before starting YEAR 13 in late June. But wont give us study leave for revising before the exams. :angry:
Reply 5
I don't think it's that terrible missing lessons if you know that you're going to be better off revising it yourself at home, HOWEVER you may miss something really important in one of the lessons, which could result in you getting an A instead of a B or an A* instead of an A. Every tiny bit of information is helpful and could make the biggest difference to your results.
Reply 6
:redface: Im glad I am not the only one doing this. My classmates don't care about their grades and everyone is so relaxed, I just can't stand staying in this strangely relaxed environment.
I want to do it because we have one weekend of study leave (really helpful, no?) but unfortunately it is vital I'm in school for my Italian lessons.
What I'm really struggling with at the moment is writing all these essays my teachers want me to do (I do mostly essay subjects) and revising at the same time! I had a really terrible weekend sleep-wise, so I didn't get any homework done so I'm doing it now so I have no time to revise otherwise!

If you have a day where you're sure you have no lessons where you'll be learning anything new, take the day off. Your school will know you're not actually ill, but they're not going to do anything. Tonnes of people are suddenly ill at my school :P
Our study leave is on friday 11th..and my first exam is on monday 14th :sigh:

We dont have to go back to school untill 11th June or something like that :biggrin:
Original post by Tackla
Our school is quite weird, they are giving us a MONTH OFF after we finish all our exams before starting YEAR 13 in late June. But wont give us study leave for revising before the exams. :angry:

similar to my school :indiff:
school's crap.
Reply 10
Original post by cesca42
I want to do it because we have one weekend of study leave (really helpful, no?) but unfortunately it is vital I'm in school for my Italian lessons.
What I'm really struggling with at the moment is writing all these essays my teachers want me to do (I do mostly essay subjects) and revising at the same time! I had a really terrible weekend sleep-wise, so I didn't get any homework done so I'm doing it now so I have no time to revise otherwise!

If you have a day where you're sure you have no lessons where you'll be learning anything new, take the day off. Your school will know you're not actually ill, but they're not going to do anything. Tonnes of people are suddenly ill at my school :P

oh I am struggling with the same problem. CIE history is killing me :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh

We dont have to go back to school untill 11th June or something like that :biggrin:

EXACTLY the same! As if 4 days of school free study will be enough! I actually today signed out as 'ill' after my morning chemistry lessons (had frees and 1 biology last) and planning to miss friday too, double biology revision = so useless! Our teacher is making us make some A3 revision sheet which I do not find at all useful, so I have concluded that I would be much more productive at home. :tongue:

I still don't think I'll have enough time as it is, just hope my head of year doesn't notice! But if missing school to revise means the difference between a bad and good grade, i'll do it :biggrin:
I've been taking days off here and there. Due to various reason I didn't get all the work done in the Easter holidays I'd intended to (STRESS STRESS STRESS :ahhhhh:) so I took the following week off to compensate. I did similar things in my AS and GCSE years. It's quite a sensible thing to do if you can't work well in school, and my results have benefitted from it :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sach21sk
EXACTLY the same! As if 4 days of school free study will be enough! I actually today signed out as 'ill' after my morning chemistry lessons (had frees and 1 biology last) and planning to miss friday too, double biology revision = so useless! Our teacher is making us make some A3 revision sheet which I do not find at all useful, so I have concluded that I would be much more productive at home. :tongue:

I still don't think I'll have enough time as it is, just hope my head of year doesn't notice! But if missing school to revise means the difference between a bad and good grade, i'll do it :biggrin:

Omg!! I did that last week..I signed out as ill to miss my period 5 biology lesson :tongue: loool
I hate it teachers try and use "effective learning methods" like writing on A3 sheets and white boards :/ lessons are completely pointless because it doesnt go into my head lol

Aw you'll do fine dw :smile:
Btw what other exams have you got?
I've been taking days off here and there because of this, mainly because my two history teachers are teaching directly from textbooks I've already made notes from, my Spanish class aren't fussed about exams, and my Philosophy lessons don't benefit me as much as just working alone. The only reason I'm not taking more days off is because my HoY is my history teacher and he's not pleased at my attendance. It's so irritating, on days I take off, I get more rest = I concentrate more = I spend my time doing beneficial things. We don't even have study leave to look forward to urgh :frown: Glad I'm not the only rebel, haha :P
Reply 15
Omg!! I did that last week..I signed out as ill to miss my period 5 biology lesson :tongue: loool
I hate it teachers try and use "effective learning methods" like writing on A3 sheets and white boards :/ lessons are completely pointless because it doesnt go into my head lol

Aw you'll do fine dw :smile:
Btw what other exams have you got?

Haha! Thanks i hope so :tongue:
I got CHEM1, CHEM2, BIOL2, ECON1, ECON2, and 3 maths exams [8 Exams] :s-smilie: How about you? We don't need no useless education!
I keep thinking I don't want to be disappointed in the future because I didn't work now! :tongue:

Same. But the noobs who take BTEC don't get study leave lol
Reply 17
Going to school at the moment is so pointless is unbelievable :frown:
Reply 18
yeah i havent been to school since my mock. which gave me 2weeksish.
Reply 19
I see why you would do this, but I dunno, I wouldn't recommend it. I can understand why you're doing it though.

Quick Reply

Latest