The Student Room Group

Is it wise to microwave bacon?

...if I can't fry/grill it? The packet doesn't say anything about microwaving it.

Scroll to see replies

No, do not do it.
Reply 2
Original post by King Kebab
No, do not do it.

But why? :frown:
Original post by Bulbasaur

Because it will be disgusting and a waste of good bacon!

It will taste awful and may no be edible.
Reply 5
Yes it is! I do it all the time. Put it on a non metallic dish, cover with 2 sheets of kitchen roll like bounty or whatever they call it these days (stops splash back) and microwave for about 2 mins per rasher. Then look and see if cooked. Can cook for longer to make it crispier. I swear its legitimate, saw it on tv once and it doesn't cause any harm whatsoever :smile: plus less things to wash up! Definitely put the kitchen roll on though. Oh and it does sound bizarre putting kitchen roll in the microwave but nothing happens to that either. Another tv trick!
You mean from frozen or to re-heat it? I think you should just eat vegetables instead either way. :wink:
Reply 7
Anyways you can buy microwaveable bacon cooker/dish things?! People need to check this out seriously :') it doesn't make it inedible or indeed any less tasty.
Reply 9
Marco Pierre White says it's the best way :yes:
You definitely can do it in the microwave. You even get crazy gadgets like this http://www.lakeland.co.uk/10907/Microwave-Bacon-Crisper specifically designed for the task.

I often find that it smells a bit odd and doesn't cook as nicely as frying - perhaps though it's my technique. This thread has inspired me to try again !
Reply 11
Original post by htlcy
Yes it is! I do it all the time. Put it on a non metallic dish, cover with 2 sheets of kitchen roll like bounty or whatever they call it these days (stops splash back) and microwave for about 2 mins per rasher. Then look and see if cooked. Can cook for longer to make it crispier. I swear its legitimate, saw it on tv once and it doesn't cause any harm whatsoever :smile: plus less things to wash up! Definitely put the kitchen roll on though. Oh and it does sound bizarre putting kitchen roll in the microwave but nothing happens to that either. Another tv trick!

Ooh, thanks for the info :smile:
Reply 12
I prefer microwaved to fried tbh with you.
You can do it, but why on earth would you want to? Unless you like rubber of course
Original post by kate1212
Marco Pierre White says it's the best way :yes:

Then he is clearly a moron. What the hell is he thinking to dish out such bad advice? It is like suggesting that people should mount a TV over the bath so they can watch Eastenders while in the tub. What's that? Bloody reckless - and so is microwaving bacon.

Bacon tastes better grilled - or fried. Get it crispy, whack it in between two slices of granary bread with a splash of brown sauce.

Enjoy with a cup of strong tea.
Reply 15
Ooh, thanks for the info :smile:

No problem, now go on and make your bacon sandwich with ease ;D I would be jealous but I've just had a takeaway so it's all good hahaha
...if I can't fry/grill it? The packet doesn't say anything about microwaving it.

Yup, when I microwave one person's worth I do it for about 4 minutes, that gets it crispyish.
Reply 17
It's fine to microwave yeah. Just make sure you get the timing right or it'll go pretty hard and shrivel until there's almost nothing left of it!
Reply 18
Done. Pretty simple, though sometimes the bacon can get a little stuck to the kitchen roll but usually comes off. Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 19
Dear TSR, can I microwaves a fillet steak? idiots answer here. thanks.

microwaving bacon ffs. what is wrong with people? microwaves are for defrosting and reheating, not cooking.

Quick Reply

Latest