The Student Room Group

Law career with LLB Law from City University?

Hi,

I missed my offer from King's College London so I now have to go to City which was my insurance.

I am not sure about what direction, barrister or solicitor, I would like to follow at the moment, but I am worrying that an LLB by City will be detrimental. I would like to do a MA to a top uni provided I graduate with a first of course, but again do law firms and chambers place a lot of importance to the undergraduate degree if you have a MA from UCL, LSE or Oxbridge?

I suppose chambers do place a lot of importance on it, but do law firms do so as well?
Reply 1
I have a friend who is currently studying law at City. She says it's ok and that they've had law fairs with Allen & Overy, but frankly City is mostly known for their conversion and BTPC and not their LLB. They don't seem to have that many events organised though and not a very successful law society or mooting activities. However, I personally believe that this depends on the students in charge of those "organisations" so this can change in the next few years.

And I suppose you are right in saying that if you get a first you might have a chance to boost your CV by doing a MA at one of the very top universities. However, I am sure that you'll also need strong work experience on the field you'd be interested to do a MA in, e.g. for Human Rights volunteering or working for Liberty would be a big achievement. Also I think that universities like Oxford or Cambridge do place a lot of importance on extra curriculars too.

Of course I might be wrong. Someone else might be more able to answer the MA question more effectively.

I don't think I know any lawyers at Magic Circle law firms to have an LLB in law from City, but I honestly do believe that a MA at a top uni will give a boost to your CV provided that you perform exceptionally well in exams and have impeccable grades, as well as very good work experience and ECs.

The Bar and City firms are fiercely competitive places so you have to make sure you stand out as much as you can.
Reply 2
Get a first and you will get interviews at some sets of barristers chambers.
Reply 3
Original post by Angelika
Hi,

I missed my offer from King's College London so I now have to go to City which was my insurance.

I am not sure about what direction, barrister or solicitor, I would like to follow at the moment, but I am worrying that an LLB by City will be detrimental. I would like to do a MA to a top uni provided I graduate with a first of course, but again do law firms and chambers place a lot of importance to the undergraduate degree if you have a MA from UCL, LSE or Oxbridge?

I suppose chambers do place a lot of importance on it, but do law firms do so as well?

In my experience, speaking with grad recruitment & people of different levels at law firms, they don't really place any real value on masters. If you enjoy it and an talk passionately about it and justify why you did it (to follow some sort of academic curiosity) then great but don't do a Masters because you think it'll further your TC applications.

And yes, even if you have a Masters, law firms will primarily be looking at your undergrad - you need obviously a 2:1 but if you go to a university where maybe you don't think it's as highly-placed as others then getting a 1st is obviously even better. Don't think a Masters from a "better" university will mean your degree will be overlooked.

Focus on getting the 1st - apply for vac schemes in your 2nd year and mini-pupillages too and then see how you fare. You'll have a much better idea how you should continue academically once you decide solicitor or barrister.
Reply 4
Original post by h-g-1
In my experience, speaking with grad recruitment & people of different levels at law firms, they don't really place any real value on masters. If you enjoy it and an talk passionately about it and justify why you did it (to follow some sort of academic curiosity) then great but don't do a Masters because you think it'll further your TC applications.

And yes, even if you have a Masters, law firms will primarily be looking at your undergrad - you need obviously a 2:1 but if you go to a university where maybe you don't think it's as highly-placed as others then getting a 1st is obviously even better. Don't think a Masters from a "better" university will mean your degree will be overlooked.

Focus on getting the 1st - apply for vac schemes in your 2nd year and mini-pupillages too and then see how you fare. You'll have a much better idea how you should continue academically once you decide solicitor or barrister.

No no. I did not imply that doing a Masters will mean that my degree will be overlooked. I am just saying that maybe a Masters in an area of law that I very much enjoy will show some firms that I am really passionate about it and I deserve an interview.

Of course, I'll try do my best given the university I'll be studying at is not very prestigious. So I hope I get to do vac schemes and minis as you correctly have mentioned.

Do you think City is an OK university to be studying law?
Reply 5
Original post by andymt
Get a first and you will get interviews at some sets of barristers chambers.

By City?

Mini-pupillages yes, but interviews for pupillage will be a much much harder task!

Do you speak from experience? Know somebody from an average uni that got a first and managed to get interview at some chambers?
Reply 6
No no. I did not imply that doing a Masters will mean that my degree will be overlooked. I am just saying that maybe a Masters in an area of law that I very much enjoy will show some firms that I am really passionate about it and I deserve an interview.

Of course, I'll try do my best given the university I'll be studying at is not very prestigious. So I hope I get to do vac schemes and minis as you correctly have mentioned.

Do you think City is an OK university to be studying law?

Hmmm - I have no personal experience of City and I can't say either yes or no. But you're there now and a 1st will be favourably looked upon (I think) regardless of what university. In addition, if A&O do law fairs there (as I have seen one poster write) then it can't be too terrible!

I just had a goose of some league tables - 38 - 43 (subjectively assessed of course) so not terrible OP and don't fret.
Reply 7
lets face it - an llb from city is not going to do you any favours getting into top commercial firms or, frankly, any chambers. if that is what you aspire to then you'd better knuckle down from day one at uni and get a really good first, including excellent marks in your first year whether it counts towards your degree or not.

a masters *may* show that you are committed to law (and don't forget that you may discover that you hate studying law) or it may be regarded as a cynical attempt to gloss over your first degree and/or kill time when you couldn't get a tc first time round. it's unlikely to hurt your chances but it may well not help them much. and it definitely won't help if you haven't done very well at undergrad. but i wouldn't worry about that now - just focus on getting the best possible results in your degree.
Reply 8
Original post by BO'H
lets face it - an llb from city is not going to do you any favours getting into top commercial firms or, frankly, any chambers. if that is what you aspire to then you'd better knuckle down from day one at uni and get a really good first, including excellent marks in your first year whether it counts towards your degree or not.

a masters *may* show that you are committed to law (and don't forget that you may discover that you hate studying law) or it may be regarded as a cynical attempt to gloss over your first degree and/or kill time when you couldn't get a tc first time round. it's unlikely to hurt your chances but it may well not help them much. and it definitely won't help if you haven't done very well at undergrad. but i wouldn't worry about that now - just focus on getting the best possible results in your degree.

Well, I do know a person who studied at De Montford, then did a Masters at the University of London and she is now working as an immigration and human rights barrister in London.

Also if you take a look at chambers outside London, you'll notice that not all barristers are Oxbridge educated, because I suppose chambers there do give a chance at people who are different whereas I wouldn't really say that law firms and chambers in London are that diverse even though they are all ''fighting'' for diversity!!

Also I need to remind that Michael Todd QC, Chairman of the Bar Council studied at Keele. Of course during the 70s things where totally different and not so competitive but he made it in an area where nearly ALL barristers went to Oxbridge and possibly did a MA at Harvard.

I don't see the OP mentioning that she wants to join Blackstone Chambers or Brick Court, or Freshfields or Clifford Chance so lets not shatter the dreams of people, shall we?

Yes, the legal world out there is extremely competitive and many graduates even from Oxbridge struggle to secure TC and pupillages the first year round, but just because you studied at an average university does not mean that you don't stand a chance!

There are millions of NGOs out there where you can work, law students may decide they like business studies and then get a job at that sector, journalism, education, etc. You'll be in London, whether you like law or not, there are tons of job opportunities and career fairs and you will definitely find something you like doing.
Reply 9
Original post by BO'H

Well it's really hard to focus on the degree for now. I didn't take the A-levels since I am Greek and missed the Apolytirion grade King's were requiring by 3 marks! And this because the History exam went really bad. At the moment I feel like everything is over and than I won't be able to get any decent job. I realise you and others might to care about that, but going to City is not ideal!!

Do you think that working for organisations like Liberty will help?

Do I have any chance if I choose to go for Academia?
Reply 10
op - you have no idea if you will still want to be a lawyer at the end of your degree (and take it from an ex corporate solicitor - it's over rated as a career). but if you do want to be one you really do need to focus on the opportunity that your degree (wherever you do it) represents and to do well. get a good degree, impress your tutors and the world is your oyster.

angelin - getting into any kind of law is difficult these days. not impossible (which you will note is not what i said), but difficult. and getting a good degree is absolutely essential. if pointing that out shatters someone's dreams then they probably needed shattering.
Reply 11
I do not agree with some of the comments here. Not going to a 'top uni' makes it harder to secure a job but it does not shut doors completely.

From experience, I have seen/met new trainees at the MC firms who aren't from a top 100 university...one in particular went to a polytechnic and one never did A-levels.

Make no mistake, these candidates were still exceptional but they achieved that by other means and not relying on how prestigious their uni was.

Ultimately, it comes down to your grades, extra-curriculars, relevant work experience and your dedication to a long term career in law.

Best of luck and don't let anyone discourage you because of the uni you go to.
Reply 12
By City?

Mini-pupillages yes, but interviews for pupillage will be a much much harder task!

Do you speak from experience? Know somebody from an average uni that got a first and managed to get interview at some chambers?

I was at City for LL.B - got a 2:1. It's not as difficult as you make it sound to get interviews with chambers. As far as I'm aware (massive caveats!) only 3 people went on to do the BPTC after graduating from City in 2012. A friend from City got pupillage at a top crim set before graduating. I got pupillage in August - about a month after graduation.

It's not really about your results, your university or how many minis you've done. Those things will help, but the most important factor is how you perform at interview.
Reply 13
Well it's really hard to focus on the degree for now. I didn't take the A-levels since I am Greek and missed the Apolytirion grade King's were requiring by 3 marks! And this because the History exam went really bad. At the moment I feel like everything is over and than I won't be able to get any decent job. I realise you and others might to care about that, but going to City is not ideal!!

Do you think that working for organisations like Liberty will help?

Do I have any chance if I choose to go for Academia?

Hi Angelica, I know its been a year since you posted this, but i just saw it, I am Greek too, I will be doing my BPTC next year so you want any info please do not hesitate! Out of interest, did you go to City after all?
Reply 14
What happened?

Quick Reply