The Student Room Group

Anyone tried absinthe before?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by christykai1049
Anyone tried absinthe before? What does it feel like and how much do you need to drink to start feeling the effects?

Try Aftershock first (the red one) to get an idea. Multiply it by 10, and thats absinthe :P

It entirely depends how strong the absinthe is, it ranges from 40odd% up to 70%. If its being bought in this country, its likely to be around 45%, in which case it isnt *much* worse than shotting something like vodka. If its some illegal stuff from abroad, and its any more than 50%, I'd steer clear, it burns your throat, your tongue, and is just the worst thing you will ever drink in your life.
I was 14 or 15 at the time and it was when I was out for a family meal. It happened to be my mums birthday so the restaurant gave her a birthday shot of absinthe. She doesn't drink alcohol so offered it to one of us. My brother thought it would be funny to give it to me so I gulped it down with no knowledge of what it was and remembered it tasting like strong liquorice. Of course I hated it and all it did was give me a little buzz.

I would like to try it again if I ever get the chance but I only do shots when other people do and noone fancies absinthe because of its reputation :/
(edited 12 years ago)
It is rancid; I also always end up with palpitations in the morning if I've had absinthe. :-/
Original post by cid
meh, its over rated, if you want a drink with crazy effects drink Fijian grog, it's not alcohol, but a drink made from some ground root.

Last time i drank it, i was also drinking alcohol, after the 2nd cup everything is a blur until 2 am, when i became aware of myself again, i was somehow in Hull, in a club, dancing with people i did not know, drinking orange juice.
My back and face was covered in grazes but i felt no pain.

When i got up in the morning i got told of my antics the night before, i had a lot of apologizing to do lol.

been looking for kava for a while, where can i get hold of some heh?
Reply 104
I took a large swig of some a couple of years ago, I was thinking I was a big man because I'd already drunk a lot that night and didnt really feel drunk. Next memory is waking up with my head in a toilet with the stench of puke firmly embedded in my nose.

Original post by lrs_17
I had ten shots once and was fine, just felt really happy and a bit unsteady on my feet, dunno why it apparently has such a bad effect on people...

Either your parents had your stomach replaced with a metal one as a child or it probably wasnt absinthe that you had. 10 shots of any hard spirit would have you feeling more than merely happy, never mind absinthe.
(edited 12 years ago)
Most crazy night of my life. Totally regret everything I did that night and I'm still living with the consequences 3 months later...
In my opinion, it depends on the strength - absinthe varies between 60% - 90%.
I've tried it twice - once a 75% and once a 90%.
The 75% burnt a bit when you shot it... but it's just has the same effect as something like vodka.
The 90% one... well let's just say, I was getting tipsy off the fumes! I had to shot it after diluting with a little bit of water :blush:
****. what happened??? pm me!! :nod:
Original post by XxelliexX
Most crazy night of my life. Totally regret everything I did that night and I'm still living with the consequences 3 months later...
Reply 108
Original post by Kai.
To be honest, that was the whole reason I ever even tried Pernod - to replicated the experience I had of absinthe. I didn't work I drank far more than I should have nd ended up asleep on the bathroom floor with an empty stomach.

I had always wondered how the two drinks were related. It seems I might have to try the 'real' Pernod. :wink:

A friend of mine introduced me to the Pernod bomb (shot of Pernod, some Red Bull) which is much less bad than it sounds. The Pernod absinthe isn't bad, though it's fairly expensive.
Reply 109
Original post by rawkus
Either your parents had your stomach replaced with a metal one as a child or it probably wasnt absinthe that you had. 10 shots of any hard spirit would have you feeling more than merely happy, never mind absinthe.

Was definitely Absinthe, in all fairness it was only 55% one, but I was not ill at all.
Just thinking about it makes me feel sick
Reply 111
My friends thought it'd be funny for my birthday to make me do a row of apple sour shots. With everyone singing happy birthday etc and the drinks all lined up for me I failed to notice til i drank it that one of them was absinthe..gits! It wasn't that disgusting though but can't say it'd be my drink of choice!
how big was the bottle? 1litre or 70cl? or less?

thats a shame about the changing of the ingredients. i thought they remained the same. i guess the old stuff was too strong for the general public?

A litre.

And of course they had to change the ingredients, I hardly doubt they'd allow poisonous alcohol to be sold.
****. what happened??? pm me!! :nod:

dude, it's a very long, crazy, and ugly story :') i'm sure you don't want to hear it :P
Original post by XxelliexX
dude, it's a very long, crazy, and ugly story :') i'm sure you don't want to hear it :P

i do! i do!! :nod: inbox me! :smile:
Reply 115
Original post by ArcaneAnna
A litre.

And of course they had to change the ingredients, I hardly doubt they'd allow poisonous alcohol to be sold.

Alcohol is poison... :rolleyes:
i do! i do!! :nod: inbox me! :smile:

when i say it's a long story, i mean SUPER long :')
I've had it mixed with coke :coma:

One of the funniest nights ever :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest