The Student Room Group

Pansexual? Is it a real thing or just attention-seeking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minimarshmallow
It's quite easy to not believe in pansexuality when you're mistaken about the (false) dichotomy of gender.

Go on then, explain how there can be more genders than sexes.

This should be a good laugh.
Original post by cole-slaw
Go on then, explain how there can be more genders than sexes.

This should be a good laugh.

Because gender and sex are not intrinsically related.
And there are more than two sexes as you've identified in your post above, even though you try to discount the anomalies - they still exist and they still contradict your (also false) dichotomy of sex.
Original post by mojojojo101
This made me literally roll over laughing... like a dog or a whale would be a more normal thing to be attracted to than a transgender person. LOL.

Anyway who gives a **** if it's attention seeking. You don't get to make a value judgement on how someone else chooses to self-identity. If he chooses to describe himself as pansexual then that's up to him and he is under no obligation to have that decision qualified by you, me or frankly any other person.

Yeah, can't really agree more with this..
This whole thing is utterly ****ing retarded.

Humans reproduce via sexual reproduction. Sexual reproduction requires two sexes - one capable of producing microgametes, one capable of producing macrogametes. We call these two sexes "male" and "female". Although a tiny, tiny minority of people are born with genetic abnormalities, this does not change the fact that by definition, there are only two sexes.

Gender is the socially constructed set of norms and identities associated with each sex. Because there are only two sexes, there are also only two genders.

"pansexual" is a made up load of *******s.

what has all that got to do with pansexuals...
I wouldn't describe it as attention seeking (though in some cases it is), it is more of psychological issue I guess.

I mean if I really wanted to I could create an entirely new gender today.
pansexuals assert that there are more than two genders. There are not. Genders are the sociological manifestation of the expected behaviour for each sex. As there are two sexes, there are only two genders.

Anyone with any education in biology or sociology would agree; sadly there are people on this thread who are uneducated but still have the arrogance to comment on subjects they know nothing about.

ohhhh. let me tell you a bit about myself.
I'm pan. I take sociology. I want to work in medicine.. so i know biology....
i don't know about other pans but yeah, there are only two genders... and we don't care about the differences... soooo
I can only conclude that you are trolling. I will report any further posts to the moderation team. Please do not post such bigoted nonsense on this forum again.

Asking someone a question, and then threatening to report them for giving an answer you disagree with is a slightly odd approach to debating. As Mini pointed out, you already admitted yourself that there are genetic abnormalities, which defeats your own argument somewhat.
Pansexuality is actually not a non attention seaking thing (Surprise, Surprise). People always are saying how "____ is really Pansexuality, their just using a fancy word.' I think some of those people need to get the stick out of their behinds and look it up. Pansexuality means you are attracted to ALL, meaning you are attracted to anyone of any sexuality, gender, or personality. It has been along for a long time, though it just has been picked up recently by people who didn't know what to identify as sexuality wise. If someone is going to flame or get mad at me for writing what I know indeed is a fact, by all means do.
i honestly do not see how it would be attention seeking. pansexuality is a real thing, a person is attracted to people no matter what they identify as. They don't if the person is nonbinary, gender fluid, male, female, etc. It's a real thing.
Original post by Odd socks
"even trans people" whys it so shocking that someone would be attracted to a transgender person?

as far as I know, the current definitions within the communities are that pan is attraction to all genders, while bi is attraction to two or more genders but not necessarily all of them.

for some people like myself pan would probably be a better descriptor, but I go with bi because it's easier and a more well known identifier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL u crazayy
On the contrary, there are only two sexes, however, there are many genders. Please get your facts straight before you make ignorant comments.
And this is what the world has come to.
Let's just say we are not humans anymore.
Problem solved.
Yes I believe it is attention seeking.

Sexuality is to do with... well... sex. It's all sex and genitals. So for that reason it really should just be straight, gay or bi. You like a penis, a vagina or both.
If you want to be panromantic or any other kind of romantic however, that is far far more understandable because that is more to do with gender.
Why would you even say such a thing? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Asexual, Intersex, ect. are all completely VALID gender identities. Just as I cannot choose my sexuality, i cannot choose my gender identity, it is just who i am. A pansexual person believes that love shouldn't be based on such a silly thing as gender, and it is completely valid. It is different from bisexuality, because bi peole like men and women, wheras pan people have the ability to be attracted to anyone.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Yes it is attention seeking.
"Pansexual" should not be recognized as a form of sexuality in my books.
We only have two genders,and three sexualities whilst your friend falls under bisexuality.

There are way more than 2 genders- intersex, agender, ect.
You cannot choose what sexuality I am, or how many sexualities exist.
There is a difference between Bisexuality and Pansexuality. Bi is loving men and women. Pan is when you think that love shouldn't be based on something as trivial as gender.
I am not seeking attention because I am Pan. I think anyone who comes out as pan should be accepted, because it is extremely brave of them to come out.
Don't act like you know what you're talking about, because you obviously don't.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I believe it is attention seeking.

Sexuality is to do with... well... sex. It's all sex and genitals. So for that reason it really should just be straight, gay or bi. You like a penis, a vagina or both.
If you want to be panromantic or any other kind of romantic however, that is far far more understandable because that is more to do with gender.

You're forgetting about intersex... please get your facts straight before you comment, as a pan person, i find this offensive. you also obviously don't understand what pansexuality is. It is the belief that love shouldn't be based on something as trivial as gender. Bi is that you like boys and girls. they don't have to like them to the same degree, but you are attracted to both.
People who say that pansexual means you are attracted to trans people are basically acknowledging that trans people are not either Male or female and are some third gender of their own. Weather or not you believe that trans is a thing or not you still believe that they are either their original gender or their new one so are either male or female.

I think what pansexual actually means is that you are attracted to all genders because you don't see gender in your attraction (if you believe there are more than two genders). So if you believe in more than two genders then pansexual is a real thing but if not then it is exactly the same as being bisexual.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hey_ItsMe
There are way more than 2 genders- intersex, agender, ect.
You cannot choose what sexuality I am, or how many sexualities exist.
There is a difference between Bisexuality and Pansexuality. Bi is loving men and women. Pan is when you think that love shouldn't be based on something as trivial as gender.
I am not seeking attention because I am Pan. I think anyone who comes out as pan should be accepted, because it is extremely brave of them to come out.
Don't act like you know what you're talking about, because you obviously don't.

Bisexuality isn't loving men and women though, it's being sexually attracted to men and women. The issue I have with your definition of pansexuality is that you say it's a belief.
Sexual attraction isn't based on beliefs it's something you either have or you don't.
Also there is no trivial reason for not being attracted to someone. No one is obligated to feel sexual attraction towards anyone else.
Pansexuals are hypocrites.
They are bisexual. They make an explicit reference to trans people, like they are not a gender.
Original post by pocahontas lol
How is it attention seeking? Sure I don't agree with "loosely attracted to any/everything," but again, how is it attention seeking?

There are some people who feel the need to be different and falsely claim it, yes.

However... pansexuals having their own flag is a bit much as well; that's like donut lovers having their own flag. Just like what you like and shut up. Heterosexuals don't have a flag. :rolleyes:

That being said, we need one :colone:

You do. It's black and white striped. (http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/q/qq-het.gif)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending