The Student Room Group

'Vintage' clothing.

I'm sorry but I REALLY do not like vintage clothing. I find it looks disgusting and ITS JUST BORING. and asdfghjk idk. I just don't like it.

Anybody else except me think this?

Also, if you DO like vintage clothing, why? Please explain this to me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm too indie for vintage clothing.
99.9% of my wardrobe is vintage now. I started collecting vintage around 8 months ago.

Personally, there are things I like about vintage that you can't get from most 'modern' clothing - the fabric quality. The workmanship, the fine detail on the clothing like metal zips, hand finished hemlines, hand sewn glass buttons - things you don't get on modern clothing.

Another thing, is sizing. Modern clothes just don't fit me. I'm very curvaceous - I have a small waist and large hips - something that clothes from the 40's and 50's tend to cater for. Nowadays, clothes are built for long legged tall people with very little shape about them. I also don't like how most modern clothing isn't form fitting - tailoring doesn't exist anymore. Not the way it did in the 40's.

It also depends on the era people go for with 'vintage'. Nowadays anything over the age of 20 is considered vintage, when really, it's simply 'retro' - something from the 80's to me, isn't vintage. 80's clothing is a whole other concept entirely.

So yeah, that's why I wear vintage.
Reply 3
Give some examples of vintage menswear
I don't mind vintage clothing per se. I just hate 'topshop vintage'. You would buy a vintage item because it is unique, but topshop do 'vintage style' clothes which everybody is going to wear. It sort of seems to defeat the point to me!
Reply 5
Original post by PaigeSnow
I'm sorry but I REALLY do not like vintage clothing. I find it looks disgusting and ITS JUST BORING. and asdfghjk idk. I just don't like it.

Anybody else except me think this?

Also, if you DO like vintage clothing, why? Please explain this to me.

Obviously there's vintage and there's vintage. You have to sift through a lot of trash to find that special gem, but that makes it way more exciting and rewarding than just grabbing stuff off topshop hangers, for me at least :h:
I have nothing against vintage clothing, but personally it isn't for me. I love the feeling of wearing brand new clothes.
Reply 7
Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~
I have nothing against vintage clothing, but personally it isn't for me. I love the feeling of wearing brand new clothes.

I totally agree with you! :smile:
Vintage is awesome. :ahee:
Reply 9
With male vintage clothing I find it is a lot harder to find something good/I would wear (good is subjective lol) than women's vintage clothing, but when you do find something, it is rewarding. I love male brogues too, classic. High street shops have started to stock imitations now so it's not as cool as it used to be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
WTH is vintage clothing? :s
Reply 11
Original post by mmckn
WTH is vintage clothing? :s

it's sort of an umbrella term for old fashioned clothing. It's hard to say up to what style decade, some say from 80s and older, some 70s and older etc.
I like vintage- there are some real gems out there.

I find the material and fastenings are generally more robust too. I have a few trusty vintage cashmere coats that I love for winter. Warm & trusty and if they've lasted this long I know they'll serve me well.

I do like my vintage shirts/coats and skirts but the waist sizes were different then. A 14 now is like a 16/18 then!

It's nice to bring something that has been lost/forgotten/given up on back to life. Some vintage (like shell suits euw) should be left to die but the mad men style is back in fashion now. Ooh and men look great in vintage shirts/waist coats and bow ties. :love:
Reply 13
I don't have a lot of vintage clothing, but I love the pieces I do have because they're unique. Chances are you won't see anyone else wearing it unless it's been mass produced such as a band t-shirt.
I like the fact I'm much less likely to see someone wearing the same thing. I like wondering about who wore it before me, and what they got up to, and why they got rid of it, and what events it went to. I have dresses that mark things like 'the day I dyed my hair for the first time' and 'the day I did my first uni exam' and 'the day I was on tv'- I like wondering if it marked any occasions like that for people. I wonder if they were ever sad they got rid of it, and I love the thought that one day I might walk past the previous owner in it. I grew up enchanted and bewildered by descriptions of clothes in old books like A Little Princess, and What Katy Did, and The Railway Children, and I love the thought that I'm buying clothes that are sometimes not so far away from that. I like walking around feeling a little bit more like Sara Crewe, or Meg off to the fancy ball down the road, or Bobby and Phyllis cleaning their best dresses for the ceremony at the station. Got no clue at all when it comes to things like clothes quality or robustness, so there's no solid reasons behind it, just a kind of airy fairy wishy washy 'let's pretend'-ness.
(edited 12 years ago)
I love vintage clothing! it's brilliant when you find something really pretty and most of the time it's unique.
I've started buying stock for my new up and coming vintage shop! I'm so excited <3
Reply 17
Im a guy and a large percentage of my clothing is vintage. Most of it is stuff for my top half, as I find it hard to find vintage trousers that fit me so I tend to buy off-the-shelf trousers. I particularly like garish 80s jumpers, one's which are ugly in a good way. The best part is the fact that, unlike when I used to wear stuff from Topshop/H&M, I never see someone out and about wearing the same clothes as me.
The thing is with vintage, I don't see how anyone can totally dislike it - there's so many decades, eras and styles, and some of the stuff is actually quite similar to what many shops sell nowadays. Unless it's more a case of disliking the fact that it's been pre-worn... :dontknow:

Personally, I love vintage - you can get some real bargains too. I got a really nice black lace dress with cute little puff sleeves from the 80s a few months back, and it was only £13. My favourite decade has to be the 50s though, as it really suits my figure (I'm somewhere inbetween a pear and hourglass, and have a tiny waist). Unfortunately I haven't found many 50s style dresses in the vintage shops I usually go to :frown:

Original post by Ilora-Danon
I've started buying stock for my new up and coming vintage shop! I'm so excited <3

Oooh, online or IRL? If it's IRL, are you going to set up a website (as I'm guessing the shop won't be in Scotland :tongue:)? I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you have on offer :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
It's difficult with vintage clothing, because a lot of the time when they say 'vintage' it really just means old. Old second hand clothes, regardless of when they were made. Like a charity shop, without the charity. I've seen so much tat in vintage shops, and a lot of stuff which isn't unique in the slightest (mostly T-shirts) - so I don't own much vintage, but when you do find those few items, they are amazing :smile: I find it so exciting looking through vintage shops because you never know what you might find, I can't walk past one without going in for a browse. I'm quite fond of charity shop browsing too :smile:

I also really don't understand 'vintage style' - things that are meant to look vintage. That doesn't make any sense to me. If you want vintage, get vintage, not just something that looks vintage (not really sure what looking vintage entails anyhow)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending