The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Hey! Thanks for that motivation idea by the way, I'm going to put it to use in a minute in order to get started on my coursework!

I think you should continue to go to the care home if possible, because not only does having a long term placement help your application, if you don't think the home is particularly caring to its residents, maybe you should just go in and talk to them. It makes all the difference just sitting down and having a chat or playing a board game or something :smile:

:biggrin: Always works wonders for me.
Perhaps, although I think i'm going to try and get some proper care home stuff...:s-smilie:

Original post by Orinincandenza
Hey with the UKCAT thing btw it's your choice but i know people who have gotten >700 with around two months of a few hours a week, i'm not saying courses are a waste but certainly not absolutely necessary.

I'm probably a little cynical but i think with PSs it's really just a case of telling them what they want to hear. Most universities simply have a list of boxes to tick, e.g 'did they show good communication skills? Are they aware of medicine's downsides ?" and anything else is an extra. I'm w/e will be fun, even if you don't write about it though so nevermind.

I agree, it's not absolutely necessary; but at the end of the day I have so much more to gain the I have to lose. And i'd rather do the courses then think, "hell, maybe if i'd done the course I would have scored higher," - I like to cover all ground :smile:
Ooh, thats interesting. Urgh, well i'll deal with the PS when it comes to it I guess. Yeah, I'm sure i'll still learn a lot, and remind me why i'm going into the job, and of course, there'll be plenty of opportunity to ooze it out in the interview.
Original post by ameelia22
:biggrin: Always works wonders for me.
Perhaps, although I think i'm going to try and get some proper care home stuff...:s-smilie:

Well I'm halfway through my essay now! :smile:

I guess it's up to you, but surely those who get the poorer quality of care would benefit more? I don't know, because I don't know what was wrong with the other home, haha
I agree, it's not absolutely necessary; but at the end of the day I have so much more to gain the I have to lose. And i'd rather do the courses then think, "hell, maybe if i'd done the course I would have scored higher," - I like to cover all ground :smile:
Ooh, thats interesting. Urgh, well i'll deal with the PS when it comes to it I guess. Yeah, I'm sure i'll still learn a lot, and remind me why i'm going into the job, and of course, there'll be plenty of opportunity to ooze it out in the interview.

Myeah Fair enough
WELL, I got a week sorted in cardiology - but i may be unable to make it, as I am doing vitalise the week of thier induction! 2 weeks respiratory medicine (the guy actually said he could offer me 6 weeks if i was up for it! Apparently writing "any time during the [dates of the summer holidays inserted here]" meant yes, have me for 6 weeks. I hope I get to float around a bit though, i'm unsure as to how interesting respiratory will be...I don't feel anything will compare to my A&E experience:bored: And a week with Gastroenterology :woo:

As chuffed as I am with all of that, if cardiology doesn't pull through, I would definitely like a solid weeks worth of something like neuro or surgery or something, it's like gold dust! :drool:I've always thought that a solid 4 weeks of hospital work experience would be enough for the old PS and that I could focus more on other things after that - but i'm getting a tad stressed, what other things? Ho crap. It's just dawned on me I don't have any GP w.e :| :doh:

Hospital - check
Vitalise - check
Pharmacy - urgh, check
Residential volunteer for 6 weeks - check

I'm working on getting care home, but i'm pretty adamant about getting on the employment ladder and fitting working around my studies, and it may be hard to juggle that too... although, it wouldn't hurt to do that in the mean time I guess?

I feel like i'm missing something...not sure what...:dontknow:

Don't mind me sharing my lifestory, I haven't had TSR contact in so long! :cry2:

Is anyone booking KAPLAN this year? I know I am?
And just another shout out to anyone going to HYMS Open Day, I definetly will be! I'm a bit scared of being a bit of a loner though...:nopity:

I'm supposed to be helping at a Vitalise centre in August but might not bother - don't think I'll get much more out of it than I already do from the care home volunteering - plus think I'm going to the Olympics in the week I've booked :P

Yeah the lady who organised my work experience I did this week said I could come any week in 2012 - I was thinking hmm I'll come everyweek - you might as well just give me a job :wink:

Long term volunteering?

How much is the KAPLAN course and when is it?
Wheeewwww long day, Up at 5 to get a train to Cambidge, got back like 30mins ago. I've never actually been to the inner part of cambridge (only to the engineerin dept. :/)

Ohmygawd, it's pretty amazing. Leaning towards aplying there now...:P

Also, ooooh shiny new TSR :O
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Dracula :tongue:

Ooo, it'd have to be Oblivion or Skyrim. Skyrim has better graphics, and I loved doing the Dark Brotherhood, which I never did on Oblivion (and I can't play it now because the graphics bum me out). But Oblivion had a better mages quest line. But I hated the Oblivion gates... so, probably Skyrim overall.

Hmm. I might think about it. I have a bitch ton left to do on Skyrim though! You should really get around to playing it. Or play Oblivion first, so Skyrim doesn't ruin the graphics for you!

I hate it when guards say that. Although all I ever hear now is 'Psst, I know who you are.. Hail Sithis!' and something about me being a sneaky thief :frown: When they say 'no lollygagging', that's the best.

Yeah I get dracula face when I'm out late and up early lol...

Need to get into Elder Scrolls, just can't find time to commit lol. Mine is tough to choose as well. For single player I guess Bioshock or MW2...online would have to be FIFA12 or MW2 :P

lol "NO LOLLYGAGGING" love when they say that, I just lollygag even more and wait for them to say something ^^
Original post by SaintSoldier
Funnily enough, you match the guy on the tube exactly :tongue:

But it couldn't have been you because he said he did the IB

haha, what are the chances :P
I'm Indian though so slightly brown in skin tone :smile:

Did you like the frisbee they gave us in the little goodie bag? lol
Original post by Boom533
Wheeewwww long day, Up at 5 to get a train to Cambidge, got back like 30mins ago. I've never actually been to the inner part of cambridge (only to the engineerin dept. :/)

Ohmygawd, it's pretty amazing. Leaning towards aplying there now...:P

Also, ooooh shiny new TSR :O

How was the workshop thingy?
Original post by Natalie21
How was the workshop thingy?

Pretty cool, they had a bunch of medicine and natural science fellows/profs give us 5-6 presenations on their research and some of the stuff was really interesting :smile: Some was slightly boring (the earth sciences one...all about clams and using them to date rocks -_-')

Then tour of the campus and we got a Q&A with students and seeing as Gonville & Caius is like all medics we got to ask a bunch of q's :P

I can see why you like Cam so much now, it's like a great balance between old+new in terms of the town itself :smile:
Original post by Boom533
Yeah I get dracula face when I'm out late and up early lol...

Need to get into Elder Scrolls, just can't find time to commit lol. Mine is tough to choose as well. For single player I guess Bioshock or MW2...online would have to be FIFA12 or MW2 :P

lol "NO LOLLYGAGGING" love when they say that, I just lollygag even more and wait for them to say something ^^

You could be Dr Acula instead! :wink:

Ugh, the Elder Scrolls are the best games ever. I'm not so in to shooting games, although Fallout 3 was okay. I kinda just love Bethesda and their games. I should totally work for them if being a doctor falls through.

Lollygagging has to be the world's best word.
Anyone applied for the new set of taster courses at queen mary or st george
Original post by Boom533
Pretty cool, they had a bunch of medicine and natural science fellows/profs give us 5-6 presenations on their research and some of the stuff was really interesting :smile: Some was slightly boring (the earth sciences one...all about clams and using them to date rocks -_-')

Then tour of the campus and we got a Q&A with students and seeing as Gonville & Caius is like all medics we got to ask a bunch of q's :P

I can see why you like Cam so much now, it's like a great balance between old+new in terms of the town itself :smile:

Awesome :biggrin:

It sure is :')
Reply 1032
Thought I should Post about what happened during my A&E work experience today. I was shadowing an A&E doctor and because this lady was in severe pain in the lower abdomen. She was 6 weeks pregnant and was heavily bleeding suggesting miscarriage. So I was shadowing both A&E doc and gynaecologist at the same time in resus and I actually got to look up her vagina when the doctor was putting speculum in (the lady allowed me to stay :biggrin:) which was quite..Interesting! I didn't mind it at all actually :smile: but there was this man next bed who was snoring and all of a sudden he was urinating all over the floor!!!! :eek: I was behind the curtain so I couldn't see what was happening but I could feel something splashing (?) and could hear it and it was not nice... According to one of the nurses, he wasn't even standing up, he was just sitting down on his bed urinating like a fountain :colondollar: thought it was quite funny. He was obviously drunk, homeless :'( it was quite an event. Thought I should share this :colone: (sorry if it was a bit random :rolleyes:)
Reply 1033
Original post by FuzzBuzz
Psychology is like that for me, i just wish i never picked it. i am spending so much time on it that i could be spending on other IMPORTANT subjects but i still wanna do well in it. PS - i love maths (excluding stats).

My friend does psychology,and she says it's not too bad!
Are you dropping anything next year??
Reply 1034
Original post by halii_94
Wow..scary to think this will be the case..let's hope the good bits outweigh it though :biggrin:

Yeah,hopefully! :h:
Original post by Natalie21
I'm supposed to be helping at a Vitalise centre in August but might not bother - don't think I'll get much more out of it than I already do from the care home volunteering - plus think I'm going to the Olympics in the week I've booked :P

Yeah the lady who organised my work experience I did this week said I could come any week in 2012 - I was thinking hmm I'll come everyweek - you might as well just give me a job :wink:

Long term volunteering?

How much is the KAPLAN course and when is it?

Oh get you!

LOL, should have pointed that out to her... good point, i'm going to look into care home if i don't get a job soon.

It's about 300 quid, and runs from early july to late september.
Original post by chiny94
Thought I should Post about what happened during my A&E work experience today. I was shadowing an A&E doctor and because this lady was in severe pain in the lower abdomen. She was 6 weeks pregnant and was heavily bleeding suggesting miscarriage. So I was shadowing both A&E doc and gynaecologist at the same time in resus and I actually got to look up her vagina when the doctor was putting speculum in (the lady allowed me to stay :biggrin:) which was quite..Interesting! I didn't mind it at all actually :smile: but there was this man next bed who was snoring and all of a sudden he was urinating all over the floor!!!! :eek: I was behind the curtain so I couldn't see what was happening but I could feel something splashing (?) and could hear it and it was not nice... According to one of the nurses, he wasn't even standing up, he was just sitting down on his bed urinating like a fountain :colondollar: thought it was quite funny. He was obviously drunk, homeless :'( it was quite an event. Thought I should share this :colone: (sorry if it was a bit random :rolleyes:)

Omg one sounds tragic, the other sounds hilarious. I did a day in A&E, and although it was eventful, it was nothing as eventful as that! Woah, you vagina whore! At least you didn't throw up/pass out or anything, because I imagine that would be quite offensive :tongue:

christ...i'm a bit, cynical? dismayed? by the way the drunks use the NHS - or generally people that don't deserve it in fact. Not horrendously against it, everyone deserves care, but it's a bit unnerving to see patients that have inflicted their own harm in full knowledge of the drain they are piling onto the NHS.

How do you find the nurses on work experience btw? Some of them are right arses, and really take a disliking to you the minute you step through.

Share away young medic, i thought this thread had gotten a bit quiet!
Original post by Boom533
haha, what are the chances :P
I'm Indian though so slightly brown in skin tone :smile:

The guy on the tube was Indian too! :tongue:

(He was roughly my height (I'm 6ft1") and he had glasses if you really want to know)

And, let's be honest, you aren't really distinguishing yourself from other medical applicants, especially in London, by saying you're brown, are you? :wink:

Did you like the frisbee they gave us in the little goodie bag? lol

What frisbee? Have I been conned? I WANT A FRISBEE!!! :mad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by erniiee
I'm at the Southampton centre August 18th-25th :biggrin: are you doing it?

Im yet to book it, but ill probe be doing it in june or late august, but ill be doing it in the southport centre, so wont be seeing you there :frown: :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
:hi:
Y'think? :erm: I am incredibly grateful though, not just throwing it in peoples face who have much less then me, but credit where it's due, I had just a few days prior to 2012. You can turn it around :wink2: Have you done local hospitals and stuff? The proper route is a load of bull:poo: I found that getting in touch with the departments/doctors/family friends/people that know the admissions woman got me in!

Going on Vitalise the Saturday week starting 28th :biggrin:
Yep, Kaplan for the UKCAT. Well, now don't judge me! my mom said she'd pay for 2 UKCAT courses if i wanted them, (moneys no object when it comes to helping me with med) I know, i hear you all saying, "waste of time" or "2 is 1 too many!" but essentially, it's not going to do any harm, and the idea is, that I do the Kaplan one the first week of July, continue to revise till Mid-August, do another UKCAT preparation test, and then continue to revise till the last week of August when I hope to do the UKCAT. I know, i'm a bit ashamed to admit it :s-smilie:

Good lord, :eek: I seem to have quite the tendency to write a lifestory! ^ :colondollar:

Nonononono, just for 6 weeks, every sunday, couple of hours, i went to the residential home - but it wasn't vary caring, I held a quiz and stuff, and even then we were lucky if anyone turned up...I don't think thats worth mentioning for medicine though, because it doesn't seem to have any legs...

Hey, again, i'm not too sure - I hope it's got some juice to it, if you hear what i mean. Well when i mention my work experience in my PS I obviously won't be writing about minor details, but more from the 4 weeks, finding the really juicy stuff, and talking about that!
Woah!:yeah: that sounds like an excellent idea! I had checked a few of those, but your absoloutely right, I ought to have a go at drafting one.

A bit of stress is when the hell am i going to be writing it? I have something Mon-Fri every week of the summer holidays...i'm hoping that it all oozes out in the interview :crossedf:

Im going to try and get some for the summer hols, and try to get 4 weeks done in a hospital if possible, i doubt i'll get that much though :/

I want to get my UKCAT done early, like in july, just to get it out of the way and cram work exp + PS. But I kinda need 700+ and dont know how much revision its going to take to get that :/, and i dunno if taking it early will be a disadvantage cos ill have had less time to revise/practice :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending