The Student Room Group

Mechanical Eng without physics

The topic is pretty simple, as the title says it's just if i can do mechanical engineering without A-Level Physics. I'm an AS student and i don't want to to re-do the whole year just to get physics. My current AS subjects are:
Further Maths (predicted B)
Chemsitry (Predicted A)
Biology (Predicted A)
Geography (Predicted A)
I've also started A2 Maths and got a very comfortable A at AS.

I'm stuck between doing Chemical Engineering and Mechanical but i'm not sure if can do Mechanical as most people who do it have physics. I'm guessing ti doesn't help that my two applied modules in maths/further maths are Decision and Statistics.
Reply 1
Original post by Rainingshame

Was there any particular reason you didn't take physics or mechanics modules? You have very good predicted grades and I assume you will be aiming for the sort of top 20 uni's, unfortunately for mech eng those top uni's will want physics. I think the best option would be to do chem eng. Anyway there is more jobs and more money in chem eng!
Reply 2
The topic is pretty simple, as the title says it's just if i can do mechanical engineering without A-Level Physics. I'm an AS student and i don't want to to re-do the whole year just to get physics. My current AS subjects are:
Further Maths (predicted B)
Chemsitry (Predicted A)
Biology (Predicted A)
Geography (Predicted A)
I've also started A2 Maths and got a very comfortable A at AS.

I'm stuck between doing Chemical Engineering and Mechanical but i'm not sure if can do Mechanical as most people who do it have physics. I'm guessing ti doesn't help that my two applied modules in maths/further maths are Decision and Statistics.

I'm sure you need Physics, even for chemical.
You could do the AS and then do a foundation year, though in all honesty, it's cheaper to stay an extra year in sixth form and get the whole A-level.
Alternatively, you could fast track physics next year, if possible.
Reply 3
Original post by VictorDeLost
I'm sure you need Physics, even for chemical.
You could do the AS and then do a foundation year, though in all honesty, it's cheaper to stay an extra year in sixth form and get the whole A-level.
Alternatively, you could fast track physics next year, if possible.

You don't need chemical for physics, and sadly my sixth form it very stringent on A-level combinations, they can't even give us A2 F maths so.....
Reply 4
Original post by TheJ0ker
Was there any particular reason you didn't take physics or mechanics modules? You have very good predicted grades and I assume you will be aiming for the sort of top 20 uni's, unfortunately for mech eng those top uni's will want physics. I think the best option would be to do chem eng. Anyway there is more jobs and more money in chem eng!

Physics clashed with other stuffs and i had to pick, two months later regretted it and we don't pick our applied modules. Though we're supposed to do mechanics one in Summer term Year 13. And i probably will apply to Cambridge, Birmingham and Manchester for Chemical just i wish i could do mechanical mainly as when i'm older i want to get into renewable technology development.
Physics clashed with other stuffs and i had to pick, two months later regretted it and we don't pick our applied modules. Though we're supposed to do mechanics one in Summer term Year 13. And i probably will apply to Cambridge, Birmingham and Manchester for Chemical just i wish i could do mechanical mainly as when i'm older i want to get into renewable technology development.

Perhaps state you're going to self teach yourself M2 (and maybe M3) through Year 13?
Reply 6
Original post by hassi94
Perhaps state you're going to self teach yourself M2 (and maybe M3) through Year 13?

Maybe.... I really wish i'd applied to the grammar school my mates went to now.... there's M3? i don't know how i'm supposed to teach myself M2 without knowledge of M1... our school does modules and we're doing C4 in the autumn and M1 in the summer/spring so i wouldn't really have time.
Maybe.... I really wish i'd applied to the grammar school my mates went to now.... there's M3? i don't know how i'm supposed to teach myself M2 without knowledge of M1... our school does modules and we're doing C4 in the autumn and M1 in the summer/spring so i wouldn't really have time.

I think you'd have to sort it out if you want to do Mech Eng. How doing M1 this autumn and then M2 in the spring (ask your school if you can skip M1 classes because you've already done it).

Oh and yeah on some boards there's M1-5; others M1-4 I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
You don't need chemical for physics, and sadly my sixth form it very stringent on A-level combinations, they can't even give us A2 F maths so.....

Please explain the bold part.
Reply 9
Original post by hassi94
I think you'd have to sort it out if you want to do Mech Eng. How doing M1 this autumn and then M2 in the spring (ask your school if you can skip M1 classes because you've already done it).

Would doing AS physics help at all?
i think with maths modules it's difficult as the maths department is extremely stretched and they have odd policies but doing AS physics is a possibility, they also have the bets teacher in the entire school teacher them and finished all of AS in early march :L so i'm sure i could do AS physics.
Please explain the bold part.

sorry dude... wrong way around i meant don't need physics for chemical :P
Reply 11
No. No point.
Would doing AS physics help at all?
i think with maths modules it's difficult as the maths department is extremely stretched and they have odd policies but doing AS physics is a possibility, they also have the bets teacher in the entire school teacher them and finished all of AS in early march :L so i'm sure i could do AS physics.

Hmm it seems Cambridge absolutely insist on Physics A-level as a requirement for Engineering (including Chem Eng unless you're applying for Chem Eng via. Nat Sci).

Birmingham for Mech Eng say you must have M1&2 otherwise Physics A-level is required (Manchester just say maths must contain a 'mechanical element' - whether M1's enough I don't know).
Reply 13
sorry dude... wrong way around i meant don't need physics for chemical :P

Yeah you don't. But it is desirable. But if you wanna do Mechanical engineering. Instead of spending 9,000 on a foundation year, you can stay an extra year in sixth form and get your physics A-level for free.
Reply 14
For Cambridge.

Engineering route
Essential A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics
Desirable A Level/IB Standard Level Further Mathematics

Natural Sciences route
Essential A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics and Chemistry
Desirable AS/IB Standard Level or above in one or more of Physics, Biology, Further Mathematics
For Cambridge.

Engineering route
Essential A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics
Desirable A Level/IB Standard Level Further Mathematics

Natural Sciences route
Essential A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics and Chemistry
Desirable AS/IB Standard Level or above in one or more of Physics, Biology, Further Mathematics

I know :P but all that the route changes is the first year, the second and third are the same. The fourth you pick the direction again. Thanks for your help anyway :biggrin:.
Original post by hassi94
Hmm it seems Cambridge absolutely insist on Physics A-level as a requirement for Engineering (including Chem Eng unless you're applying for Chem Eng via. Nat Sci).

Birmingham for Mech Eng say you must have M1&2 otherwise Physics A-level is required (Manchester just say maths must contain a 'mechanical element' - whether M1's enough I don't know).

I'll have to ask the people when i go to open days in the summer. Thanks for your help :smile:
I'll have to ask the people when i go to open days in the summer. Thanks for your help :smile:

Everything I wrote there is taken directly from their respective websites and say they are musts/essentials.

Quick Reply