The Student Room Group

Why don't women lift?

Scroll to see replies

I find it hilarious that women are willing to spend all this money on 'firming' creams and lotions when all they have to do it get up off their arse and do some squats.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
No. I think for most of us it's 'I can't be bothered'. Why should we have to lift? There's no important health benefits. If some girls want, they'll head down the gym once a week and do a bit of jogging to remain healthily fit. When it comes to toning up the muscles, it's unimportant. And it isn't particularly feminine, something to strive for. The only reason why someone should have the toned physiques displayed in the OP is if they do sports. If it's just lifting at the gym, I see no point. It is a lot about vanity.

Fair enough if you don't want to do it this is simply untrue. Weight training is actually very beneficial, far more so the hours of cardio and it's been proven to burn more calories, cut the risk of getting osteoporosis and diabetes. I don't do it vanity, I do it because I want to get stronger so I don't keep dislocating my kneecaps, so I can lift heavy things and so I improve my metabolism, as well as make my ass perkier which is a bonus. Plus it's a lot quicker and easier to get results, I can be in and out of the gym is 40 minutes with a mix of weights and cardio. And you won't end up bulky or 'unfeminine' if that's so truly awful, just not flabby.
(edited 11 years ago)
who wants a broad shouldered woman really
The only reason why someone should have the toned physiques displayed in the OP is if they do sports. If it's just lifting at the gym, I see no point. It is a lot about vanity.

I wasn't saying anything about what a girl should do, each to their own, live and let live and all that. Lifting has more benefits than looking "good", when I train I train for functional strength as in something that I can use to my benefit if need be, chasing a scally wag if they pinch my wallet/phone etc etc.

I walk everywhere, so for instance on a reasonable day for the UK I would have been a bit of a sweaty mess carrying the shopping back from the shop before I started keep fit.

I was sharing the opinion of one of the PTs in my old gym in the post you are referring to, where most girls who already go to the gym think if they do a bit of weight lifting they'll end up hench.

Strength doesn't mean size as a few posts have shown. And strength and fitness can be very useful in certain situations, fight or flee being one of them.

In this day and age it doesn't do any harm being prepared for a variety of situations. Plus it can be fun and my concentration levels seem much better when I am into my keep fit routine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 184
No. I think for most of us it's 'I can't be bothered'. Why should we have to lift? There's no important health benefits. If some girls want, they'll head down the gym once a week and do a bit of jogging to remain healthily fit. When it comes to toning up the muscles, it's unimportant. And it isn't particularly feminine, something to strive for. The only reason why someone should have the toned physiques displayed in the OP is if they do sports. If it's just lifting at the gym, I see no point. It is a lot about vanity.

I want to lift to increase my functional strength and to boost my metabolism. By gaining muscle it'll be a lot harder to randomly gain fat during short periods of sedentary lifestyle when I can't find time to work out since I'll be burning more calories just by way of having muscles that sit there and use them up.

Most of your post is just prejudiced nonsense, by the way.
http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/resistancehealth.html

A good resistance exercise program along with a good diet has numerous benefits to health. I'm surprised people are still unaware of this fact.
Original post by Dark Horse
Seriously, why don't they?

It seems to me that they're always banging on about "losing weight", even when they're underweight. Why do we keep hearing stories about young girls with eating disorders or reading idiotic facebook statuses about "feeling guilty" after eating a chocolate bar, even though their body was probably heavily catabolic and borderline Auschwitz-mode.

And why do they think that "losing weight" automatically means "look good". Why do they always talk about dress sizes and other irrelevant numbers instead of getting under a ****ing bar and squatting. Have most women ever seen pictures of a woman who lifts?

jodie-minear-11.jpg
zane-end-post-Copy.jpg
zane-end-post-Copy-Copy.jpg
zane-end-post-Copy-Copy-Copy-Copy.jpg

Notice that she doesn't have deeply cut muscles or much bulk? But she's lean and tight. She looks athletic and sexy. She'd be awesome in bed as well, I'd wager, purely because her lifestyle suggests that she has high energy and squats give the hip-thrust an extra "umph". Yes, my friend.

What are the so-called alternative girls are going for? Well they either diet themselves to this size and cover a flabby physique with flattering clothes or they just sit around declaring weights "not for them" whilst paradoxically wishing they had a physique like the woman in the attachment pictures.

And don't get me started on crash diets (special k lulz). Anyone who still gets sucked in by them after they seen what happened the first time clearlyneeds help. :rolleyes:

I'm a girl, and I lift... I do weighted squats & lunges, resistance training using TRX (not weighted I know but still good for toning), use dumbells, tricep pulldown, lat pulldown, push ups, crunches using bosu ball, weighted russian twists on those cord machines..

Only thing I dislike about that lady is her arms are wayyy to muscley for my likings... I hope I don't get arms like that. Plus in one of the photos, she looks a lot like a dude by the way she's sitting. But that aside.... She looks good.
Original post by cowsforsale
http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/resistancehealth.html

A good resistance exercise program along with a good diet has numerous benefits to health. I'm surprised people are still unaware of this fact.

this is a very interesting read, i agree more people should realise the benefits of resistance training
Reply 188
After reading this thread a couple of days ago, I ventured into the weights room at my uni gym for the first time.
It is the single most intimidating place I have ever been in my life.
Add to this the fact that I am literally starting from square one. I can barely do 12 bench press reps with a couple of 3kg dumbells.
If I stick at this I'm sure things will improve but it's going to be hard...
Original post by Cohen
After reading this thread a couple of days ago, I ventured into the weights room at my uni gym for the first time.
It is the single most intimidating place I have ever been in my life.
Add to this the fact that I am literally starting from square one. I can barely do 12 bench press reps with a couple of 3kg dumbells.
If I stick at this I'm sure things will improve but it's going to be hard...

stick at it, nothing worth having is easy. good luck!
Reply 190
Out of interest...why the neg?
Original post by Cohen
Out of interest...why the neg?

Because TSR fit is full of retards that hate anyone who wants to try something new/improve themselves.
Reply 192
Original post by Old School
Because TSR fit is full of retards that hate anyone who wants to try something new/improve themselves.

Ah yes of course, silly me.

Whatever I managed to get done in that weights room, it was certainly something because my arms feel like spaghetti.
Original post by Cohen
Ah yes of course, silly me.

Whatever I managed to get done in that weights room, it was certainly something because my arms feel like spaghetti.

Good. Weights are awesome.
Reply 194
personal prefference I suppose. I love the fitness model / miss trained figure look.
Reply 195
Original post by stayce88
personal prefference I suppose. I love the fitness model / miss trained figure look.

But they lift weights...?
Reply 196
Original post by desijut
But they lift weights...?

Dont see what point you are making?
Reply 197
Original post by stayce88
Dont see what point you are making?

Your reply was pretty ambiguous. 'Personal preference' implied it was your preference not to lift weights, when I presume you mean that other women choose not to while you choose to lift.
Reply 198
^ This.
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
Sure you get the odd douche checking themselves out, but what you refer to as guys admiring their arms and shoulders whilst using weights is guys checking their form and making sure they are doing the exercise correctly, you know to reduce chance of injury, get the most benefit from the exercise etc etc...

Hahahaha imagine being so uncoordinated you can't even do a gym exercise without looking in the mirror. I'd rather be a douche than that guy, lols.

Quick Reply