The Student Room Group

Themes/ important ideas for Of Mice And Men, and An Inspector Calls!

I've got my exam tomorrow, just wondering what are the key themes for each book, and what are some good ideas/insightful interpretations that you guys have?

Scroll to see replies

Also have this exam tommorrow!!
Of Mice and Men
- Loneliness

Most chararcters have isolation and loneliness, for example George is always playing solitaire which is a one-player game, and also he becomes lonely after the killing of Lennie. Crooks is isolate being the inly black character as he is not allowed and is not welcome with the other ranch hands to play cards, so he has a lot of books in his room as that is his only form of entertainment. Candy is also lonely, especially after they shoot his dog as his dog was his companionship. Curley's wife is also lonely because she is always trying to seek attention and conversation, but no-body wants to talk to her.

- Dreams
George and Lennie have the main dream - the american dream of having their own plot of land, and Candy becomes a part of their dream. Curley's wife has a dream of becoming a movie star. But the main point is that these dreams never came true, especially the american dream which reflects 1930s America.

- Violence and Death
There is a lot of violence in the book - Curley is always trying to pick fights and there's the fight with Lennie. Lennis is strong, but he uses violence unintentionally or when George tells him to because she is not aware of his own strength. Carlson - shoots Candy's dog and there's a quote where he says to Curley that he will kick his head, cant remember the exact quote but i think its just before Curley's and Lennie's fight. Death - death of the mice and puppys that Lennie accidentally kills, the death of Candy's dog, and then of course the death of Curley's wife and Lennie.

- Authority
The Boss has authoirty 'The boss was expectin you last night'
Curley wears high-heeled points to gain status and authoirty
Silm is presented to have a lot of authority as people listen to him, advice from him and look up to him. There is also George who has authority over Lennie as he acts like a parental figure.

-Animals
Lennie is portrayed as animals throughout the novella - bear, ''master'', etc
Lennie's obession to 'pet nice things' - mice, puppys
Slim's dog's litter and Candy's dog
Nature and animals at the setting of the Salinas River at the start and at the end

An Inspector Calls
- Class (Social class/status/power)
Mr Birling - his wifes social inferior - maybe thats why he married her. He is always tryong to impress gerald because gerarld is higher than him in the social ranking and also tells him about the potential knighthood. He brings up the fact he is a Magistrate, he was Lord Mayor, and his connections with the Brumley police force to try and intimate the inspector.
Mrs Birling is clearly aware of class distinctions and she never forgets ''Girls of that class''
Sheila uses her status and authority to get Eva sacked from her job at Milwards.
Gerald - although had some affection for Eva, used his authoirty ''i made the people at the Country find some food for her'' he didnt actually find the food for her himself.

- Responsibility
Sheila and Eric learn from their mistakes an they accept their responsibility, whereas Mr and Mrs Birling avoid taking any responsibility, Mrs B blames the ''father'' of the child, and Mr B feels as thought the success of the business and the profit is more important than how the workers are treated. Priestley tries to convey the message of shared/collective responsibility.

- Public Image and Hypocrisy
The opening scene presents the family in happy celebrations and the family seem outwardly respectable but as the play goes on they are not a ''well-behaved family'' e.g. Mr Birling - respectable businessman, but doenst care about his workers and the panic towards to end of a fear of a public scandal. Mrs B although the chair of a charty organisation turned away Eva Smith but she didnt like her

Law and Moralty
No one except Eric who stole the money, actually commiitted a crime that could be punished in court, but they were are morally wrong, Eric said ''He was our police inspector all right''

Really hope that helps!! :smile: Good Luck for tommorrow! :smile:
p.s sorry for any spelling mistakes, im tired :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cardigansandjeans
Of Mice and Men
- Loneliness

Most chararcters have isolation and loneliness, for example George is always playing solitaire which is a one-player game, and also he becomes lonely after the killing of Lennie. Crooks is isolate being the inly black character as he is not allowed and is not welcome with the other ranch hands to play cards, so he has a lot of books in his room as that is his only form of entertainment. Candy is also lonely, especially after they shoot his dog as his dog was his companionship. Curley's wife is also lonely because she is always trying to seek attention and conversation, but no-body wants to talk to her.

- Dreams
George and Lennie have the main dream - the american dream of having their own plot of land, and Candy becomes a part of their dream. Curley's wife has a dream of becoming a movie star. But the main point is that these dreams never came true, especially the american dream which reflects 1930s America.

- Violence and Death
There is a lot of violence in the book - Curley is always trying to pick fights and there's the fight with Lennie. Lennis is strong, but he uses violence unintentionally or when George tells him to because she is not aware of his own strength. Carlson - shoots Candy's dog and there's a quote where he says to Curley that he will kick his head, cant remember the exact quote but i think its just before Curley's and Lennie's fight. Death - death of the mice and puppys that Lennie accidentally kills, the death of Candy's dog, and then of course the death of Curley's wife and Lennie.

- Authority
Silm is presented to have a lot of authority as people listen to him, advice from him and look up to him. There is also George who has authority over Lennie as he acts like a parental figure.

An Inspector Calls
Mr Birling - his wifes social inferior - maybe thats why he married her. He is always tryong to impress gerald because gerarld is higher than him in the social ranking and also tells him about the potential knighthood. He brings up the fact he is a Magistrate, he was Lord Mayor, and his connections with the Brumley police force to try and intimate the inspector.
Mrs Birling is clearly aware of class distinctions and she never forgets ''Girls of that class''
Sheila uses her status and authority to get Eva sacked from her job at Milwards.
Gerald - although had some affection for Eva, used his authoirty ''i made the people at the Country find some food for her'' he didnt actually find the food for her himself.

- Responsibility
Sheila and Eric learn from their mistakes an they accept their responsibility, whereas Mr and Mrs Birling avoid taking any responsibility, Mrs B blames the ''father'' of the child, and Mr B feels as thought the success of the business and the profit is more important than how the workers are treated. Priestley tries to convey the message of shared/collective responsibility.

The opening scene presents the family in happy celebrations and the family seem outwardly respectable but as the play goes on they are not a ''well-behaved family'' e.g. Mr Birling - respectable businessman, but doenst care about his workers and the panic towards to end of a fear of a public scandal. Mrs B although the chair of a charty organisation turned away Eva Smith but she didnt like her

Law and Moralty
No one except Eric who stole the money, actually commiitted a crime that could be punished in court, but they were are morally wrong, Eric said ''He was our police inspector all right''

I love you! i'd taken this exam a bit too much for granted, so thanks very much!!
Has anyone got some other good quotations to use?
Original post by nervouspupil123
I love you! i'd taken this exam a bit too much for granted, so thanks very much!!

Hahaha lol glad you like it :smile: No problem, happy to help :smile: It was good revision for me aswell! Anything else you stuck on? :smile:
Reply 5
Hahaha lol glad you like it :smile: No problem, happy to help :smile: It was good revision for me aswell! Anything else you stuck on? :smile:

What points can you write about for form in of mice and men?
It's part of the mark scheme.
Reply 6
I have a few essays on OMAM if anyone wants, just send me your email and I will send it to you :smile:
Original post by Ketchup!
What points can you write about for form in of mice and men?
It's part of the mark scheme.

Errr what do you mean by form? What exam board are you doing aswell? :smile:
Reply 8
Errr what do you mean by form? What exam board are you doing aswell? :smile:

I'm doing OCR
It says "explain how form contribute to writer's presentation of.."

Normally it means what format it's in i.e. Inspector calls is a play
Original post by Ketchup!
I'm doing OCR
It says "explain how form contribute to writer's presentation of.."

Normally it means what format it's in i.e. Inspector calls is a play

Im doing AQA but anyway, i am not sure to be completely honest - maybe it is the format - a novella? Or Maybe its like sentence structure, but that's more structure, er.......i'm really not sure, what else doe the mark scheme say?
(Sorry, not being much help :frown:)
Reply 10
Im doing AQA

What structure are you using to answer the questions? I'm getting slightly confused :frown:
Original post by James3110
What structure are you using to answer the questions? I'm getting slightly confused :frown:

For Inspector Calls - you pick one question out of a choice of 2
My teacher said aim for 5 PEAs - give a point, quotes for evidence, and then analyse the quote in detail

For Of Mice and Men
part a) about 3 PEAs from the extract, analyse in detail for language and structure
part b) im going to pick out about 3/4 points and do PEAs - you have to pick out quotes from elsewhere in the text

hope that helps :smile:
Reply 12
For Inspector Calls - you pick one question out of a choice of 2
My teacher said aim for 5 PEAs - give a point, quotes for evidence, and then analyse the quote in detail

For Of Mice and Men
part a) about 3 PEAs from the extract, analyse in detail for language and structure
part b) im going to pick out about 3/4 points and do PEAs - you have to pick out quotes from elsewhere in the text

hope that helps :smile:

Thanks a lot, that helped a lot! :biggrin: Just don't think I can write that many paragraphs in 45 minutes though! Which character question do you think will come up in an inspector calls? I wish it was Sheila but she's already come up... wouldn't mind Eric though :smile:
Thanks a lot, that helped a lot! :biggrin: Just don't think I can write that many paragraphs in 45 minutes though! Which character question do you think will come up in an inspector calls? I wish it was Sheila but she's already come up... wouldn't mind Eric though :smile:

No problem :smile: Glad to help :smile: Yeah, Sheila has already come up, I think it might be Eric, Mr/Mrs Birling. I just hope it isnt Gerald. Are you doing of mice and men aswell?
Reply 14
No problem :smile: Glad to help :smile: Yeah, Sheila has already come up, I think it might be Eric, Mr/Mrs Birling. I just hope it isnt Gerald. Are you doing of mice and men aswell?

Indeed I am :biggrin: Gerald came up in the Jan 2012 paper so that rules him out I guess!
- How do you respond to Gerald in ‘An Inspector Calls’? How does Priestley make you respond as you do by the ways he writes? and the other question was :

-Arthur Birling says, ‘If we were all responsible for everything that happened to everybody we’d had anything to do with, it would be very awkward, wouldn’t it?’
How does Priestley present ideas about responsibility in An Inspector Calls?
Reply 15
Of Mice and Men
- Loneliness

- Dreams

- Violence and Death

- Authority

An Inspector Calls

- Responsibility

Law and Moralty

OF MICE AND MEN: You forgot a big one...ANIMALS!!
Our essay question (2010) was about animal sybolism :smile:
Original post by H.J.P
OF MICE AND MEN: You forgot a big one...ANIMALS!!
Our essay question (2010) was about animal sybolism :smile:

OMG cant believe i missed that out.....will edit it now......
Indeed I am :biggrin: Gerald came up in the Jan 2012 paper so that rules him out I guess!
- How do you respond to Gerald in ‘An Inspector Calls’? How does Priestley make you respond as you do by the ways he writes? and the other question was :

-Arthur Birling says, ‘If we were all responsible for everything that happened to everybody we’d had anything to do with, it would be very awkward, wouldn’t it?’
How does Priestley present ideas about responsibility in An Inspector Calls?

Haha cool, my teacher said Slim might come up for of mice and men, but im hoping crooks :smile: Yess!! Thats good, i didn't know that, so that is Gerald most definetely ruled out!! Horrary :smile:

Good Luck tomorrow!! :smile:
Reply 18
Im doing AQA but anyway, i am not sure to be completely honest - maybe it is the format - a novella? Or Maybe its like sentence structure, but that's more structure, er.......i'm really not sure, what else doe the mark scheme say?
(Sorry, not being much help :frown:)

It's alright, thank you anyway! :smile:
Also what points can be structure? Apart from dashes.
What do you mean by sentence structure?
Reply 19
OMG cant believe i missed that out.....will edit it now......

There's also some extra bits you could consider which are less cliche and will help you get the highest grade possible (like an A*)

E.g. When C's wife dies, the bird flies over her and circles her which could symbolise her finally being freed from the opression and hostilty she faces (also because of her gender).

At the beginning 'a cyote yammerd and a dog answered' could be symbolic of L and G's relationship. L is like the cyote: untamed and wild whereas G is more like the dog - symbolic of companionship (mans best friend) and more domesticated.

If i remeber correctly (this is all off the top of my head) i think theres something about wanting to drown a puppy or a runt or something. Again it could forshadow the ending and also sybolise societies attitude to people like lenny.

The relationshipo betweent he horse and the stable buck.

i miss english... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending