The Student Room Group

Classic civ concerns!

I chose to study classical civilisation for a level, somewhat stupidly it seems. I'm the only one in my class and my teachers give me little to no help at all.

I am using the OCR syllabus and am studying Virgil and the world of the hero, and comic drama in the ancient world. I am also re-taking my Odyssey AS module this summer.

Is there anyone on here that can help me in any way at all? I'd appreciate anything from essay tips to possible questions etc, and would really love it if you could direct me to any supporting resources because I've tried and can't find anything remotely useful :confused:

This is a cry for help! Please!

Thank you so much :smile: xxxxxx
Reply 1
Original post by shikarilion
I chose to study classical civilisation for a level, somewhat stupidly it seems. I'm the only one in my class and my teachers give me little to no help at all.

I am using the OCR syllabus and am studying Virgil and the world of the hero, and comic drama in the ancient world. I am also re-taking my Odyssey AS module this summer.

Is there anyone on here that can help me in any way at all? I'd appreciate anything from essay tips to possible questions etc, and would really love it if you could direct me to any supporting resources because I've tried and can't find anything remotely useful :confused:

I'm teaching myself A2 Classical Civ but I'm doing the AQA course. (The Aeneid and Augustus and the Principate)

I find that podcasts are definitely my friend when it c0mes to revision and I bought some books on the suggested reading list.

I find if you treat it like a hobby rather than a formal subject it's alot more fun and relaxed.

Also, key word lists and mindmaps are great.
Reply 2
Original post by sosotalk
I'm teaching myself A2 Classical Civ but I'm doing the AQA course. (The Aeneid and Augustus and the Principate)

I find that podcasts are definitely my friend when it c0mes to revision and I bought some books on the suggested reading list.

I find if you treat it like a hobby rather than a formal subject it's alot more fun and relaxed.

Also, key word lists and mindmaps are great.

Oh, which podcasts in particular do you find helpful? I'm doing IB class civ and I'm really struggling... :/ Do you know where I could find some good revision material for Augustus and the Principate?
Reply 3
Original post by XxelliexX
Oh, which podcasts in particular do you find helpful? I'm doing IB class civ and I'm really struggling... :/ Do you know where I could find some good revision material for Augustus and the Principate?

I like the BBC radio 4 podcasts; if you look around what they have they have quite a few related to roman civilisation. Also, the history of Rome podcasts are fabulous; they're free and you can find them on itunes.

Hope that helps a little.

I find podcasts are a great way to revise as my eyes get tired quickly so I can just sit down, close my eyes and listen :smile:
Reply 4
I'm doing the OCR GCSE course at the moment and we have studied The Odyssey in quite some detail for if you want advice on that then I might be able to help :smile:
...I'm doing it in OCR, self-taught in AS + A2 (this year)
...I've finished revising for my AS (Odyssey, Greek Tragedy) and one of the A2 (Greek vase, sculpture, sanctuary) and nearly done for Iliad/Aenid but is there an actual structure of answering questions?

I'm aware of it in A2, but for AS, it seems that I only need to list things (in sentence form). It feels like doing a less-detailed English Lang/Lit but adding Greek terms...which isn't hard to remember.

...but why are the marks in these exams are in ridiculous amount of marks. Especially in AS when you only have 1h30 to do the paper... with 100 marks.
100 marks = 100 minutes = 1h40. That's 10 mins more than the paper.

...is it easy to actually gain the marks or hard, based on the mark it's out of?
I looked on mark schemes and everything (which has barely any points, like 3 points + Greek terms = 25 marks? WTF?? that would be a 12m q for History) but I couldn't judge my work easily (same goes for 45m, you literally just list and describe).
Reply 6
I'm studying the Aenied; Medea, Hippolytus, Oedipus the King and Antigone for A2 and I'm okay at the tragedy stuff it's just the Aenied that is seriously getting to me! Does anyone have any notes they want to share? Or any revision tips/advice? I really can't get my head round the story of the Aenied and I'm really, really worried - my exam is in about two weeks!! :s-smilie: I can give you any notes/revision help on the tragedy, I just really, REALLY need some help on the Roman epic! Please please please help :frown:
Reply 7
I like the BBC radio 4 podcasts; if you look around what they have they have quite a few related to roman civilisation. Also, the history of Rome podcasts are fabulous; they're free and you can find them on itunes.

I find podcasts are a great way to revise as my eyes get tired quickly so I can just sit down, close my eyes and listen :smile:

Hey thanks, I've found some Melvin Bragg podcasts which I'll listen to tonight. Thanks for the tip!
Reply 8
Original post by tsveta
I'm studying the Aenied; Medea, Hippolytus, Oedipus the King and Antigone for A2 and I'm okay at the tragedy stuff it's just the Aenied that is seriously getting to me! Does anyone have any notes they want to share? Or any revision tips/advice? I really can't get my head round the story of the Aenied and I'm really, really worried - my exam is in about two weeks!! :s-smilie: I can give you any notes/revision help on the tragedy, I just really, REALLY need some help on the Roman epic! Please please please help :frown:

Hey, my Aeneid exam is in a couple of weeks too.

I've done loads of notes on the Aeneid which i can send you, but my ones on the comparisons for that and the Iliad are handwritten so probably not that part.

I'm freaking out for it too. Just looked at the past papers and had a panic attack...
Reply 9
Original post by BLu_REdEmTiON
...I'm doing it in OCR, self-taught in AS + A2 (this year)
...I've finished revising for my AS (Odyssey, Greek Tragedy) and one of the A2 (Greek vase, sculpture, sanctuary) and nearly done for Iliad/Aenid but is there an actual structure of answering questions?

I'm aware of it in A2, but for AS, it seems that I only need to list things (in sentence form). It feels like doing a less-detailed English Lang/Lit but adding Greek terms...which isn't hard to remember.

...but why are the marks in these exams are in ridiculous amount of marks. Especially in AS when you only have 1h30 to do the paper... with 100 marks.
100 marks = 100 minutes = 1h40. That's 10 mins more than the paper.

...is it easy to actually gain the marks or hard, based on the mark it's out of?
I looked on mark schemes and everything (which has barely any points, like 3 points + Greek terms = 25 marks? WTF?? that would be a 12m q for History) but I couldn't judge my work easily (same goes for 45m, you literally just list and describe).

I wish I could help with this but somebody else is probably more knowledgeable.. I just re-took my Odyssey paper from last year but I got an A in the Greek Tragedy and I just shoved everything I could think of in a list for both, probably about a page for each because I am queen of bull**** in exams.
Reply 10
Hey, my Aeneid exam is in a couple of weeks too.

I've done loads of notes on the Aeneid which i can send you, but my ones on the comparisons for that and the Iliad are handwritten so probably not that part.

I'm freaking out for it too. Just looked at the past papers and had a panic attack...

My Aeneid exam is TOMORROW!!!!!!! :eek:
Omg literally yeah anything would be helpful! Don't worry about comparing to the Iliad cos that's not relevant for my exam!!
Reply 11
Original post by tsveta
My Aeneid exam is TOMORROW!!!!!!! :eek:
Omg literally yeah anything would be helpful! Don't worry about comparing to the Iliad cos that's not relevant for my exam!!

Sending now!! Good luck!

Thanks for the tip- of the History of Rome podcasts, which ones do you use (I'm just trying to get some background information before starting the A2 course in a few weeks)?? Thanks :smile:

Check out ITunesU for a load of recordings of university lectures for relevant. I'm listening to a series of lectures that I think are from Stanford university about the Aeneid at the moment and they're really good for context.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending