Medics and Applicants Profiles - NO DISCUSSION

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
:smile: International Applicant!!! :smile:
Year of Entry: 2016
Deferred?: No
GCSEs: 5A* 5A
Standard Grades Int2s (Scottish applicants): N/A
AS Grades: AABAA (Maths, Human Biology, Chemistry, Chinese, Further Maths)
A2 Results:A*A*A a (Maths, Human Biology, Chemistry, EPQ)
Higher grades (Scottish applicants): N/A
Previous Degree (if applicable): N/A
UKCAT (if applicable): 2750 (687.5) Band 2
BMAT (if applicable): Really bad.... :colonhash:

Work Experience/Volunteering:
1 Year British Red Cross First Aider
1.5 Years volunteering on a Cardiology ward feeding patients
1 week shadowing a GP in Taiwan
2 weeks volunteering in an A&E unit in Taiwan
2 weeks shadowing a hospital consultant in a UK hospital in my gap year
3 months working as a HCA in my gap year

Extra Curricular:
Sixth Form tutor representative
Teaching children in an art club at the local library
Swimming

2015 entry
Universities applied to and decisions:
Bristol - pre-interview rejection
Plymouth - pre-interview rejection
Imperial - pre-interview rejection (Bmat was really bad too...)
Liverpool - interviewed then rejected (I was too nervous during the interview and my answers sounded rehearsed.... :frown:)
Imperial Biomedical Science - Offer (declined)

Then I took a gap year and worked as a HCA in an NHS hospital :smile:

2016 entry
Cardiff - Unconditional Offer (Firmed!!):biggrin:
University of East Anglia - Unconditional Offer (Declined)
Leeds - Pre-intervew rejection
Keele - Pre-interview rejection
UCL biomedical science - Unconditional Offer (Declined)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need some advice!! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
National 5: 7As (maths, english, biology, chemistry, history, french, graphic communication)
Higher grades (Scottish applicants): 5As (maths, english, chemistry, biology, french)
AH: Biology, Chemistry, French, Science Baccalaureate
UKCAT (if applicable): 2750 band 2

Worked at a hospital for two years
3 years volunteering at residential home
1 week day surgery
1 week maternity unit
1 week medicine taster program
1 day GP practice
2 month British Red Cross
2 years Rotary Club President
Extra Curricular:
Taekwondo Black Tag
Swimming + qualified lifeguard
Three languages (two native level one conversational)
Edinburgh: Firm Offer
Glasgow: Interview (december 14th) Rejection April
St Andrews: Interview ( March 9th) Rejection last week of March
Dundee: Interview (January 12th) Rejection second last week of March

Tips: Get good grades and don't stress about the UKCAT...people with lower grades and UKCAT's than me got multiple offers. DON'T underestimate the interviews! They are the most important bit so prepare thoroughly. The goal is to get interviews and then shine at them :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Year of Entry: 2015

GCSEs: 10A*s 1A
AS Grades: AAAAA (bio, chem, maths, geography general studies) + A* EPQ
A2 Results: A*A*A*

UKCAT (if applicable): 745 Band 1

Not much apart from shadowing consultants and GP for like a month in total.
Volunteered at old peoples home and nursery (the usual stuff)

Extra Curricular:
Again not much, but on my PS I said I enjoy cycling and travelling.
Gap year didn't do that much - I just spent my parents money largely on a massive tour of Asia.

KCL declined after waitlist
Barts offer
Edinburgh offer
UCL offer

Advice
Come across as confident in interview and be different! Good luck!
Original post by AnnekaChan173
boop
Editing because I have updates~ yay~
Year of Entry: 2015

GCSEs: 4A*s 4A's 3B's

AS Grades: BBBd (retakes took them to ABBc

A2 Results: BBBc

UKCAT (if applicable): 610 Band 2

KCL declined after waitlist (still waiting, there may be a chance, I've contacted them so will update)

Southampton declined after interview

Hull/York- declined before interview

Advice
Although I was confident in the interview and I came across as a friendly and suitable doctor, for me it wasn't how I said it but what I actually said. I said too many baby words if that makes sense.

You can see with my grades I still got interviews and I could've gotten into medicine today, but it's because of my interview I failed that.

I do want to take a gap year but doing the ukcat, personal statement and interview all over again really scares me and stresses me out. I'm still thinking about it.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSEs: 8A* 2A
AS Grades: AAAA (chem, bio, maths, psychology)
A2 Results: A*A*A*Aa (chem, bio, Welsh Baccalaureate, maths, psychology)
UKCAT (if applicable): 635 Band 1

Work Experience:
1 week children's nursery
1 week tertiary care cardiovascular hospital (number of different departments)
1 week GP practice
1 week secondary care district hospital
1 week private dentist

Volunteering:
5 days in the cafe with RVS
1 yr St John Ambulance first aider (at the time of application)
10 months youth leading assistant with St John Ambulance
Fundraising for charity Gafael Llaw
1 year mentoring yr 8&9 pupils in science
1 year improving the literacy of a yr 7 pupil in a reading scheme
Assisting in the organisation of a party for a local special needs school
3 days assisting in the running of children's events at a national trust property

Extra Curricular:
Hiking
Reading (New Scientist, fiction, fact, etc)
Learning to speak Dutch (Self taught)
Writing

Birmingham - post-interview rejection
Bristol - post interview rejection
Aberdeen - pre-interview rejection
Keele - offer, firmed

Advice

Have as many people look over your PS as you can, do as much work experience and volunteering as you can squeeze in, and don't worry too much if you don't get AAAA at AS. As far as personal statements are concerned, be honest, and don't let people tell you what to write in it. Emphasise what you learnt from your experience, this is far more important than listing things you've done; it doesn't matter if you have one month in a clinic in a third world country or spent a week at a nursing home, it's how you reflect on it that matters. When you write your personal statement you do not need spaces after punctuation or paragraph breaks. That was in bold because I was told by everyone your grammar has to be perfect, but if it weren't for my UKCAT I would have had four interviews based on my PS and the online form for Keele, neither of which had spaces or paragraph breaks, it saves so many characters. Apply to universities that you want to go to, with courses that suit you, and who's selection process works in your favour. If you got no A* at GCSE, don't apply to a uni that favours applicants with higher GCSEs, if you get a low score on your UKCAT, don't go for a university with a high threshold. But above all else, apply to places you think you will be happy.If you don't get AAAx at AS, don't worry, just apply to unis that put a lot of emphasis on AS grades, and I know plenty of applicants who didn't do as well at AS and resat during A2 and got in. If you don't get an offer, don't panic too much; you can always reapply. What's more medicine is in clearing. There are very, very few places, and even fewer medical school, but it does happen; this year there were two, Plymouth and St George's, but you need to be fast. As for interviews, I was terrible at them, but I would definitely recommend getting ISC's Medical School Interviews book, and get as much practice as you can with doctors, teachers, other applicants, people you did work experience with, etc. If you're in your last year of school, focus more on your studies; you can always reapply to university, you can't resit your exams if you want to go into medicine.

Best of luck everyone :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by neurogirl

Work Experience:
1 week GP practice
1 week private dentist

Volunteering:
3 days assisting in the running of children's events at a national trust property

Extra Curricular:
Hiking
Writing

Keele - offer, firmed

Advice

Have as many people look over your PS as you can, do as much work experience and volunteering as you can squeeze in, and don't worry too much if you don't get AAAA at AS. As far as personal statements are concerned, be honest, and don't let people tell you what to write in it. Emphasise what you learnt from your experience, this is far more important than listing things you've done; it doesn't matter if you have one month in a clinic in a third world country or spent a week at a nursing home, it's how you reflect on it that matters. When you write your personal statement you do not need spaces after punctuation or paragraph breaks. That was in bold because I was told by everyone your grammar has to be perfect, but if it weren't for my UKCAT I would have had four interviews based on my PS and the online form for Keele, neither of which had spaces or paragraph breaks, it saves so many characters. Apply to universities that you want to go to, with courses that suit you, and who's selection process works in your favour. If you got no A* at GCSE, don't apply to a uni that favours applicants with higher GCSEs, if you get a low score on your UKCAT, don't go for a university with a high threshold. But above all else, apply to places you think you will be happy.If you don't get AAAx at AS, don't worry, just apply to unis that put a lot of emphasis on AS grades, and I know plenty of applicants who didn't do as well at AS and resat during A2 and got in. If you don't get an offer, don't panic too much; you can always reapply. What's more medicine is in clearing. There are very, very few places, and even fewer medical school, but it does happen; this year there were two, Plymouth and St George's, but you need to be fast. As for interviews, I was terrible at them, but I would definitely recommend getting ISC's Medical School Interviews book, and get as much practice as you can with doctors, teachers, other applicants, people you did work experience with, etc. If you're in your last year of school, focus more on your studies; you can always reapply to university, you can't resit your exams if you want to go into medicine.

Hi, I'm a current first year medic here at Keele, I'm going into second year this year - feel free to get in touch if you need any advice :smile:

GCSEs: 3A*s 8A 2B

AS Grades: ABCD (politics, bio, french(dropped) and chemistry)

Predicted grades: AAB

A2 Results: AAA (and B in EPQ)

UKCAT (if applicable): 617.5 band 3

Work Experience/Volunteering: Volunteered at elderly home for a year
Basically worked for free at a GP surgery for a year
Shadowed district nurse, pharmacist, Red Cross paramedic, dentist, vet surgeon and vet nurse

Extra Curricular:
School council, learning council, committee in charity week, biology mentor, led and set up debate club, British Red Cross volunteer
Hobbies: synchronised swimming, gym, baking and cooking

Bristol: rejection pre interview
Plymouth: rejection pre interview
Newcastle (Partners): offer ABB (firm)
UEA (foundation year medicine): offer ABB (declined)
Bradford clinical sciences/ foundation in medicine: offer BBDc (insurance)

Advice
Be SMART with your application and apply to your strengths - look and see if you're eligible for widening access schemes (partners at Newcastle and foundation year at UEA) if not see how the uni ranks applicants (I.e. Cardiff by GCSE results so unless you have all A*s don't waste your time!)
Personal statement is everything when you don't have perfect grades - make every single sentence count, if anyone could've written that sentence change it and make it personal. Pack it full of extra curricular to show you're a well rounded person and pack it with work experience to show that medicine is your passion not just a healthcare job in general (explain you looked into nursing or being a vet etc)
Once you've made it to interview forget the books everyone studies and copies answers from. Be original and make everything genuine, when asked a question such as 'why medicine?' If you take the interviewers on your journey (as a story) and explain your reasons it'll make you stand out with your honesty and integrity and you won't forget your answers if they're coming from you instead of a book you've memorised!
Also RESEARCH THE UNI! At one of my interviews I had to run through the course year by year naming a few specified modules and studies, and knowing which sports team I would join if I made it in showed them I was serious about coming to their university
Lastly, don't give up.. Getting 2 rejections and still waiting to hear back from others in December was so disheartening but if medicine is what you really want - it's worth it!
Feel free to message me for any more help! I know it's not common for someone with AS grades like mine to make it into medicine first time round
(edited 7 years ago)
Deferred?: no
GCSEs: 8A*s 2A 1B
AS Grades: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography) overall 92%
A2 Prediction: A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry, Maths) AND ACHIEVED A*A*A*
UKCAT (if applicable): 652.5 average
BMAT (if applicable): 4.7 5.4 3.5A
Work Experience:
1 Week in a GP
1 Week in a hospital
2 Weeks in a pharmacy
Volunteering:
Cancer research charity shop
Sports club for disabled children
Care home
Extra Curricular:
Head girl at 6th form
First aider
Imperial: Post-interview rejection
UCL: Offer 6 days after interview (FIRM) AND CONFIRMED
King's: Offer 2 weeks after interview (INSURANCE)
St Georges: Invited for interview -withdrew pre-interview

Going to UCL to study medicine!!

My advice for applying to medicine: (chronologically)
-I think one of the first hurdles that I came across was finding work experience. It was really difficult to find work experience in the GP and the Hospital because when I checked the websites, the deadline for that year would have already passed... SO check the websites early and apply quick
-Next step UKCAT, I think for this you need about 4 weeks of preparation (each day spending about only 3 hours)
You also don't need to get 700s to get into good UKCAT schools. My score was average (652.5) but I still got an interview from King's which are very UKCAT heavy... so don't be disheartened by you 'low' UKCAT scores.
-After this you have to apply to your unis by 15th Oct. For this you have to write your personl statement. TBH none of my interviews (except UCL) asked me questions on PS... but this my just be a coincidence
-Then I did the BMAT as I wanted to apply to Imperial and UCL. For this I used the official text book and the BMAT specification on the BMAT website. I was really scared for the essay section as I HATE writing... but turns out I did okay
-Then comes interviews... practice the traditional questions and get lots of mocks with anyone at school, at home etc
-Then comes exam time
Only after all this you are free. I can truly say that this was really stressful because I was always so worried for everything. Eg i would be worried about UKCAT then BMAT and then whether I would het interview and then whether I would get any offers

SO Good luck!!
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSEs: N/A
Standard Grades Int2s (Scottish applicants): Actually called "National 5s" now, I got 7As and a B - As in Physics, Bio, Chem, Maths, English, History, Graphic Communication and a B in French

AS Grades: N/A
A2 Prediction/Results: N/A
Higher grades (Scottish applicants):

5th year - I had 4As and a B. As in Chem, Bio. English, History and a B in maths
6th Year - I took 2AHs - Chem and Bio and 2 highers - Physics and Modern Studies. My predicted grades were AAAA, my conditional offer was 2Bs in AH and a B at any higher. I ended up with A in AH chem, B in AH bio, A in Higher physics and a C in higher mods.

Previous Degree (if applicable): N/A
UKCAT (if applicable): 2550, but I think the UKCAT has changed this year so idk if this is helpful
BMAT (if applicable): N/A

W/E - roughly 10 days in a GPs, 3 days in general surgery
Volunteering - I didn't do any specific volunteering as such, I just sorta did things around my school that I talked about, helped out a few times a week in the autism provision, mentored kids with behavioral issues etc etc. Didn't do any of the care home stuff (couldn't get a place) or charity shop stuff.
I did volunteer abroad in the summer but this was after my application so I didn't mention it at all in interviews or personal statement as I hadn't actually done it yet so couldn't think of a way to link it back to why medicine.

Extra Curricular: Not much tbh - I told them I like running and playing guitar and that was enough. I also worked 2 jobs while sitting exams which explained why I had little free time but they way said it tied it in nicely to what they were asking in the interview so I guess they liked it.
Universities applied to and decisions: Rejected from Dundee and Edinburgh, Got into Aberdeen
Year of Entry: 2015/2016
Deferred: No
GCSEs: 13A* (iGCSE)
AS Grades: ACCD
A2 Prediction/Results: AAAB
Previous Degree (if applicable): /
UKCAT (if applicable): 627.5
BMAT (if applicable): 3.7, 3.8, 4.5A
Work Experience/Volunteering: 2 weeks GP shadowing, lab work, gastric surgery observed
Extra Curricular: 12 years of musical school (international), 3rd place in Europe in a piano competition
Universities applied to and decisions: Cardiff (rejected due to a lost IELTS certificate on their side, school wanted to sue them), Bristol (offer AAAc), Lancaster (rejected after interview), Leeds (rejected because of my PS even though it was good enough for Bristol!)
DECIDED to take a gap year to earn money as I couldn't afford overseas fees at the time however Bristol didn't allow so starting Biochemistry at Newcastle with a scholarship next year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Year of Entry: Rejected for 2017 entry
Standard Grades Int2s Nat 5's (Scottish applicants): 8A's
Higher grades (Scottish applicants): 5A's
UKCAT (if applicable): 617 Average Band 2
Work Experience/Volunteering: 4 weeks uni research project, 1 week in an English uni researching, 1 week in America researching, 1 week GP, 1 week hospital, years at a Mosque, years at a care home, volunteer in school teaching kids.
Extra Curricular: Lots of sports like football medals, table tennis tournaments, play badminton, do DofE
Aberdeen- pre interview rejection
Dundee- pre interview rejection
Edinburgh- awaiting rejection
Bristol- can't go anyway due to family

Advice:
I will now be taking a gap year. Really sucks. Rejected because of UKCAT score even though it was in the 4th decile. Please pay heavy attention to this section. This matters so much nowadays especially with the competition!
What uni's would you recommend for no A*s at GCSE?
Original post by neurogirl

Work Experience:
1 week GP practice
1 week private dentist

Volunteering:

Extra Curricular:
Hiking
Writing

Keele - offer, firmed

Advice

Original post by alevelstudentmed
What uni's would you recommend for no A*s at GCSE?

Tbh I'd say like 75% of unis don't care too much about GCSEs. If you want to know which ones don't care about GCSEs from the top of my head I can remember that Newcastle don't (as the only thing they care about is the UKCAT) and Exeter don't (as they only care about predicted grades)

My cousin (now a med student in Liverpool) went to a Newcastle open day and they said they don't care about GCSEs and I personally rang up Exeter to know their Selection process and they don't care either.
Original post by Omarmanutd
Tbh I'd say like 75% of unis don't care too much about GCSEs. If you want to know which ones don't care about GCSEs from the top of my head I can remember that Newcastle don't (as the only thing they care about is the UKCAT) and Exeter don't (as they only care about predicted grades)

My cousin (now a med student in Liverpool) went to a Newcastle open day and they said they don't care about GCSEs and I personally rang up Exeter to know their Selection process and they don't care either.
Thank you:smile: that's reassuring, I also know that Imperial don't look at GCSE's anymore - now I have to do exceptionally well in the UKCAT and BMAT:frown: I did the UKCAT last year and it didn't go too well:s-smilie:
Year of Entry: 2017
Deferred?: NA
GCSEs: 4A* 5As 1B + Distinction in Add. Maths
Standard Grades Int2s (Scottish applicants):
AS Grades: AAAA- Bio 95%, Chem 92%, Phys 90%, Maths 88%
A2 Prediction/Results: A*A*A*A Bio, Chem, Maths, Welsh Bacc- Predictions.
A*A*A*A- Achieved (same order)
Higher grades (Scottish applicants): NA
Previous Degree (if applicable): NA
UKCAT (if applicable): 690
BMAT (if applicable): 4.9 4.7 2.5A
Work Experience/Volunteering: University College of London Hospital (1 week). Local Hospital (Withybush) 2 days. I'm from South-West Wales. 2 years volunteering in 2 Care Homes (1 specialist home for dementia patients, 1 residential home). 1 and a half years volunteering in the local hospital. Both volunteering placements were something I did pretty much every week.
Extra Curricular: I didn't put much on my PS in terms of Extra Curricular- I only mentioned Rowing. I did talk about other stuff at interview though such as: St. John's Ambulance, School Eisteddfod (basically like a fun day in Welsh schools with loads of activities on), Public Speaking, Deputy Head Boy etc.
Cambridge - Offer A*A*A - Firm - Offer met, Unconditional firm.
Imperial- Offer A*AA - Insurance - Offer met, Declined
QMUL (Barts)- Interview 8th Jan, Offer, Declined
Bristol- Pre-interview rejection.

I don't know why I applied to Bristol with my PS as it was. It was written for traditional universities. Bristol have a very strict policy on PS. I do still say that Bristol is an amazing place to go and I did really like it there at the open day. Make sure your PS meets the criteria they assess really well!! Feel free to message me for help applying etc. Good luck guys!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
GCSEs: 4A* 5As
A2 Prediction/Results: A*A*A* Bio, Chem, Maths- Predictions.
UKCAT (if applicable): 663.3
Work Experience/Volunteering: University College of London Hospital (1 week). Local Hospital (Withybush) 2 days. I'm from South-West Wales. 2 years volunteering in 2 Care Homes (1 specialist home for dementia patients, 1 residential home). 1 and a half years volunteering in the local hospital. Both volunteering placements were something I did pretty much every week.
Extra Curricular: I didn't put much on my PS in terms of Extra Curricular- I only mentioned Rowing. I did talk about other stuff at interview though such as: St. John's Ambulance, School Eisteddfod (basically like a fun day in Welsh schools with loads of activities on), Public Speaking, Deputy Head Boy etc.
Cambridge - Offer A*A*A - Firm
Imperial- Offer A*AA - Insurance
QMUL (Barts)- Offer AAA

I don't know why I applied to Bristol with my PS as it was. It was written for traditional universities. Bristol have a very strict policy on PS. I do still say that Bristol is an amazing place to go and I did really like it there at the open day. Make sure your PS meets the criteria they assess really well!! Feel free to message me for help applying etc. Good luck guys!

Have QMUL started giving out offers?
Reply 737
GCSEs: 4A* 5As
A2 Prediction/Results: A*A*A* Bio, Chem, Maths- Predictions.
UKCAT (if applicable): 663.3
Cambridge - Offer A*A*A - Firm
Imperial- Offer A*AA - Insurance
QMUL (Barts)- Interview 8th Jan

Congrats!! May I ask what you did to prepare for the BMAT?
Original post by HR321
Congrats!! May I ask what you did to prepare for the BMAT?

I didn't do great so probably not the best person to ask. Overall though I think it's best to start like a month before the exam and do revision often. I think I only did about 2 proper weeks so I should have done more. I think the key is to properly understand ALL of GCSE science, especially Biology! If you don't do AS phys it's important to put a fair bit of effort into that. I think a key is to do ALL of the past papers a couple of times to get the timing off to a T. Then go to the like really old ones, 2007 and that, do them too! If you need more help just message me and I'll send you some more, general advice.
I didn't do great so probably not the best person to ask. Overall though I think it's best to start like a month before the exam and do revision often. I think I only did about 2 proper weeks so I should have done more. I think the key is to properly understand ALL of GCSE science, especially Biology! If you don't do AS phys it's important to put a fair bit of effort into that. I think a key is to do ALL of the past papers a couple of times to get the timing off to a T. Then go to the like really old ones, 2007 and that, do them too! If you need more help just message me and I'll send you some more, general advice.

Hi, sorry to ask again and well done on your offers!
Have QMUL started giving out offers? I only ask as you have an offer and your start date is 2017.

Quick Reply